We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
removing impurities Options

frequentflyer
#1 Posted : 1/1/2011 12:50:12 PM
DMT-Nexus member

SWIM made the foolish mistake of thinking purity wasn't a big deal. SWIM now gets a terrible headache for a couple of days after smoking their extracted spice, most likely because of the impurities. SWIM used this extraction method:

1 - Powderize your mimosa bark. Mix 100 grams of bark with 25 grams of calcium hydroxide. Add enough water to make it feel wet but not
watery. Mix for about 5 minutes.

2 - Add 300 ml of d-limonene. Mix well. Let sit a few hours.

3 - Pour off the d-limonene through a filter.

4 - Add 25 ml of vinegar to the d-limonene. Mix thoroughly.

5 - Separate the vinegar from the d-limonene (the vinegar is at the bottom, the d-limonene at the top). This vinegar will contain
DMT acetate. Evaporate your vinegar in a food dehydrator at 155 F to get sticky DMT acetate.

SWIM now has the result of this evapped onto some dried herbs, and a lot of it absorbed onto some balled up kitchen towel.

I have some d-limonene and calcium hydroxide left. What would be the most simple way to re-extract the spice from the herb and balled up kitchen towel, remove the impurities and then re-evap onto some herb to smoke? And how many times should I complete the process?

Thanks

PS, very sad to hear about the flowing visions saga.. thinking about it the only reason I took it seriously is because of 69rons glowing reports on it Sad

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

dumbstruck
#2 Posted : 1/1/2011 2:40:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Tricky to say... There is a couple potential methods. I would guess I recommend using water to extract the DMT acetate (I think it should be pretty highly soluble) from your leaves. Using acetone or any other like solvent would break the cell walls and make you extract chlorophyll and plant oils as well -- not so pleasant!

I am also somewhat surprised you didn't freebase the alkaloids before putting on to leaves. From a brief search I found out that although DMT acetate is smokeable it is significantly harsher -- apparently the acetic acid vapor is bad for your lungs? So you should definitely freebase it before applying to leaves next time.

But anyhow, I have no idea how much water you should use. But you'll need to heat up some water to near boiling first (boiling / vaporization point of DMT freebase is 60-80 degrees I think, the acetate salt should be a bit higher but I'm not sure how much higher. Native brews don't seem to lose potency so I think near boiling should be fine). If you extracted 100 grams of MHRB lets just say you got a 1% yield so you have approximately 1 gram of DMT freebase on your leaves. So try with 30 ml of very hot water at first and mix them into your leaves. Stir well and stir fast for a couple minutes, and then decant off as much of the water as you can while leaving the insolubles. You'll also need to dunk your towel in hot water and let it dissolve out of that too. You'll need a few washes again.

Since you have calcium hydroxide (and I'm not sure if sodium carbonate would work, though it would be preferred if it does!) just add a bit of that (for ~1g of alks? I dunno, add a gram) to your collected, filtered water pulls. That will freebase the DMT and it will become insoluble and settle out of solution. You'll likely also have grabbed a bit of whatever is water soluble from the leaf, and will have to purify it. You may also need to water extract the leaves a couple more times and freebase the DMT out of solution until you collect most of it back. Shouldn't need more than 2-3 water washes I wouldn't think, but one might even get almost all of it! There is an off chance you may need to evaporate off a fair amount of the water before freebasing the DMT back out. I don't think this is necessary, but it may be.

To clean up from there a re-x is probably best. You should be able to find a number of TEKs here. Alternatively you should be able to take the precipitate from the above steps and mix it with as little naphtha as you can as long as it dissolves completely. Then toss it in the freezer for a few hours and let em snow out. That should also fairly selectively get your DMT back.

Then put back on leaves, but this time in freebase form! Good luck!

edit: Oh, regarding the suggestion to dissolve in naphtha and toss in the freezer. After dissolving your precipitate in naphtha, pour off the naphtha through a filter before putting in the freezer. There is a reasonable chance your water extraction of the leaves pulled something that is not soluble in naphtha, so if you don't do this step it would be left in your final product.

frequentflyer
#3 Posted : 1/1/2011 9:25:18 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Thank you very much for your reply. SWIM has a possible workaround, please excuse SWIMs ignorance if this is not feasible. Could swim chuck all leaf and kitchen roll in some d-limonene, re-evaporate to get DMT acetate then free base using a post I found previously:

I usually base by covering sticky acetate with sodium carbonate, mixing thoroughly, wet slightly to make a paste, then leave to dry naturally. Then extract using d-limonene, re-evaporate onto some leaf.

Would this work? Thanks

endlessness
#4 Posted : 1/2/2011 9:21:44 AM

DMT-Nexus member

How are you smoking it? I would guess that the smoking method has more to do with your headaches than anything else.

In any case you can def do the conversion with sodium carb, but dont re-extract with limonene and evap because limonene doesnt evap clean, instead re-extract with ethanol/ipa/acetone.

frequentflyer
#5 Posted : 1/2/2011 12:39:25 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Excellent thanks for that endlessness, SWIM can easily get hold of any of those 3. SWIM smokes with a crappy home made bong made with a plastic bottle, terrible I know! How would SWIY recommend, if possibly as easily and cheap as possible? Smile

Edit: Also, if SWIM changes the way its smoked, is it even worth re-extracting? Will the change of smoking stop the headaches and make it OK to smoke acetate?

endlessness
#6 Posted : 1/3/2011 3:26:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I would say do re-extract.. PersonallyI never had success making this acetate temperature conversion, it always seemed to remain vinegar-y, and I dont know if that possibly can cause headaches..

I guess you could play safe and do both the conversion as well as changing smoking method..

Regarding smoking method, as you must have heard plenty of times, the GVG is in the opinion of many here the absolute best smoothest most effective smoking method, but it is expensive (though VERY worth it).. What material is the cone made out of, in your improvised bong? Are you smoking pure dmt or infused in herbs?

A bong used to be how I smoked before the vaporgenie. I think the ideal is to make a thin layer of herbs on the bottom (or a thick layer of ashes/some kind of clean stainless steel scrub/volcano liquid pad), then the dmt, then a thick layer of ashes on top. Go VERY easy on the lighter, try to keep it as far away as possible so that it only vaporizes the dmt but doesnt combust the dmt and doesnt combus the herb on the bottom if you have any.. It takes a bit of practice but its possible, and it will be much much better

good luck