We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Warm Evap = Larger Crystals? Options

Ellis D'Empty
#1 Posted : 12/5/2010 11:16:42 AM

Snirfneblin

So I'm wondering, if I evap a heavily saturated solution (1.2g~ in 25-30ml) while the solvent stays warm would it yield in larger crystals?

I've already done the evap at room temp (70f~) and it yielded decent sized ones. But knowing that warm solvent can hold more DMT, I wonder if it'll create larger ones?

Like, when theres less solvent, the DMT will drop out, but less warm solvent would hold more DMT.
Hard to explain, but someone out there should understand.

Anyways, I'm testing it to see what happens. Will post my results.

Full warm evap:
Yielded DMT Goo.

Now I'm going to try to evap the solvent to very minimal (10ml~) solvent, and then do a room temp slow evap. Hopefully getting crystals Smile

Ok wow! So after the first findings, I warm evaporate the solvent to roughly 13ml~ (no exact gauge) and took away from heat, put a cover on top (so it can only escape through 3 side holes) and WOWEEE, crystals TWO or THREE time the size of normal room-evap. Theres still solvent left, and I'll update with a pic of when it's all evaporated. But WOW xD

Heres pics:
This is before the warm evap. This is just regular room temp evap:
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/628/rex01.jpg

This is after warm evap to 13ml~ and then room evap:
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/8800/rex2t.jpg

They are both the same batch.
01:13:08 ‹Ellis DEmpty› I met the people living in my head... I disturbed them while they were sitting down at the table.... They were as shocked as I was!

We were born too soon to explore the cosmos, and to late to explore the earth. Our frontier is the human mind; religion is the ocean we must cross.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

gammagore
#2 Posted : 12/5/2010 11:47:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The solvent will evap alot faster if you keep it warm during the growth stage, probably giving you smaller xtals.

Once you have dissolved the DMT in the warm naptha/heptane cover it with some sort of coaster(if you are using a glass). You only want a small space for the solvent to escape from, so just leave a small gap. Leave this glass somwhere undisturbed at room temp for a few days, no movement or bumping it. No heat is needed during this, ive found that I can get bigger xtals by letting it evap slower.

Opiyum
#3 Posted : 12/5/2010 11:55:43 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I recently read about success playing with different shaped vessels. That and suspending seed crystals on strings.

wouldn't a colder solution theoretically produce larger crystals? Lower temp would mean less bouncing around on a molecular level. Less movement, bigger crystals right?

Ellis D'Empty
#4 Posted : 12/5/2010 12:39:35 PM

Snirfneblin

Hrmm... Well so far, its evaporated down to about 15ML, and still no DMT has crashed out.

My hypothesis is, once the DMT crashes out, because there is so much, then the crystals would be big?

I'll reply once its finished evaporating with the results and a pic.

Maybe this could possibly be a way to get large crystals without having to evaporate over the course of a week or so, and instead only a few hours?

No idea how this will play out, but I'll keep you updated.
01:13:08 ‹Ellis DEmpty› I met the people living in my head... I disturbed them while they were sitting down at the table.... They were as shocked as I was!

We were born too soon to explore the cosmos, and to late to explore the earth. Our frontier is the human mind; religion is the ocean we must cross.

Pontos
#5 Posted : 1/2/2011 5:20:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I know this is an old topic but if anyone is still following, generally speaking when crystalizing things slower=bigger. The initial yield will remain the same, but if you're going to filter out the crystals or give them a wash before use a slow set time will help keep losses to a minimum by producing larger formations that are less likely to pass through (or get stuck in) the filter. Also, the larger the crystals the lower the surface area to mass ratio, so when you wash the gunk off of them you are left with a larger, purer mass than if you were using smaller crystals.

Pontos

Ellis D'Empty
#6 Posted : 1/2/2011 10:39:50 PM

Snirfneblin

Well, what I did was, warm evapped the solvent to such a minimal amount (as warm naphtha can hold a lot more dmt) and then evaped.

I got 1.3g crystal.... wasn't very pretty, but 1.3g nonetheless.

Pontos
#7 Posted : 1/3/2011 8:46:59 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Good stuff man, I was actually thinking along similar lines - super-saturate and follow with a really slow cooling (like indide an empty dewar maybe) while restricting the amount of evaporation to grow some big crystals. Glad it worked out for you, I ruined what would have been a big a batch once mostly due to impatience. Out of curiosity, how much material did you start with? 'Cause 1.3g sounds like a decent yield, pretty or not.

Pontos