We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Smoking dmt while on medication Options

the_ki
#1 Posted : 12/30/2010 12:23:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm currently on Citalopram and Olanzapine. Citalopram is a SSRI and a anti depressent. Olanzapine ssri and an anti depressant similair to prozac.

I'm in a good headspace right now. Thanks to meditation and probably prescription drugs. When I do do dmt I will start at a low sub breakthrough dosage and evaluate how I feel in the week(s) after that. Building up or building down as I see fit. I'm just wondering if it is a physically dangerous combination.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Global
#2 Posted : 12/30/2010 12:52:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Music, LSDMT, Egyptian Visions, DMT: Energetic/Holographic Phenomena, Integration, Trip Reports

As long as you're smoking pure spice and not mixing any MAOIs in there, and you feel like you're in the right headspace, I don't believe they would make a bad combo. I just don't think you'd want to have a feeling of intoxication from them.
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind" - Albert Einstein

"The Mighty One appears, the horizon shines. Atum appears on the smell of his censing, the Sunshine- god has risen in the sky, the Mansion of the pyramidion is in joy and all its inmates are assembled, a voice calls out within the shrine, shouting reverberates around the Netherworld." - Egyptian Book of the Dead

"Man fears time, but time fears the Pyramids" - 9th century Arab proverb

Entheojen
#3 Posted : 12/30/2010 9:05:16 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Sorry to contradict without a definite answer, but I'm near sure I heard that SSRI medication used in combination with drugs that can alter seratonin activity can result in seratonin syndrome which is potentially fatal. And as far as I am aware, DMT can alter seratonin activity. Perhaps I have this wrong, but better to be sure to rule this out before continuing.
The trees spoke to me through the wind. The more I listened, the more they spoke.

DiMiTriX
#4 Posted : 12/30/2010 10:43:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

yeah just a month ago a member posted his bad report about one of theese syndrome,he thought he was dieing Rolling eyes must be very carefull with ssri with substance that influence the ways of the serotonine..you could die due to this syndrome
Tz'is aná

fractal rider
#5 Posted : 12/30/2010 1:22:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

swim did not know it could be toxic in combination with dmt , swim in the past has done ssri prozac exactly and his muhsroom and lsd trips where much milder if affects alot the experiencie but i thought that dmt would act alike that like a milder experience
om namah shivaya

endlessness
#6 Posted : 12/30/2010 1:50:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

DiMiTriX wrote:
yeah just a month ago a member posted his bad report about one of theese syndrome,he thought he was dieing Rolling eyes must be very carefull with ssri with substance that influence the ways of the serotonine..you could die due to this syndrome

A lot of people think they are dying when using psychedelics, this doesnt mean they were in danger...

Corpus_Callosum should give us a better medical advice here but im pretty sure SSRI's and dmt/psychedelics is not really a dangerous combination (but MAOI or amphetamines such as MDMA can be very dangerous to mix with that! Im talking about only vaporized dmt or other 5-ht2a classic oral psychedelics).

Check this older discussion, specially Evening Glory and bufoman's posts:

https://www.dmt-nexus.me...spx?g=posts&t=12292

corpus callosum
#7 Posted : 12/30/2010 7:03:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

Citalopram is an antidepressant of the SSRI class;olanzapine is not an antidepressant per se- its actually an anti-psychotic medication which is used as an add-on in certain depressives.

Whats the underlying diagnosis thats been attached to your problems?

The combination of SSRIs and FB vaporised DMT ie with no MAOI is not physically hazardous; you may find that the olanzapine reduces the effects of DMT by virtue of its anti-psychotic effect (mediated through dopamine receptors).

Probably the most important issue is your present state of wellness (or otherwise) and the effect that something as profound as vaporised DMT can have on your mental state subsequent to the experience.Hence the importance of the underlying diagnosis and the extent of the problems youve previously had.
I am paranoid of my brain. It thinks all the time, even when I'm asleep. My thoughts assail me. Murderous lechers they are. Thought is the assassin of thought. Like a man stabbing himself with one hand while the other hand tries to stop the blade. Like an explosion that destroys the detonator. I am paranoid of my brain. It makes me unsettled and ill at ease. Makes me chase my tail, freezes my eyes and shuts me down. Watches me. Eats my head. It destroys me.

Global
#8 Posted : 12/30/2010 10:47:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Music, LSDMT, Egyptian Visions, DMT: Energetic/Holographic Phenomena, Integration, Trip Reports

Entheojen wrote:
Sorry to contradict without a definite answer, but I'm near sure I heard that SSRI medication used in combination with drugs that can alter seratonin activity can result in seratonin syndrome which is potentially fatal. And as far as I am aware, DMT can alter seratonin activity. Perhaps I have this wrong, but better to be sure to rule this out before continuing.

The danger doesn't arise from anything that can just "alter seratonin activity". MAOIs for example inhibit the MAO that keep seratonin in check and balanced so as a result there can be an unbalanced flood of seratonin. This is not the case with freebased DMT without MAOIs. And yeah, in terms of the anti-psychotic medication, that should simply block or reduce DMT's effects, but shouldn't be hazardous. I'm pretty sure mushrooms for example can "alter seratonin levels" and yet if you go to the hospital on a freakout, the first thing they'll give you is xanax which I believe is an SSRI (if not antidepressant). In terms of the user who posted his bad report, there was probably a case of intoxication with the SSRI he was using or he may have had a poor "set" (as in set and setting) which could have lead to the negative experience.
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind" - Albert Einstein

"The Mighty One appears, the horizon shines. Atum appears on the smell of his censing, the Sunshine- god has risen in the sky, the Mansion of the pyramidion is in joy and all its inmates are assembled, a voice calls out within the shrine, shouting reverberates around the Netherworld." - Egyptian Book of the Dead

"Man fears time, but time fears the Pyramids" - 9th century Arab proverb

corpus callosum
#9 Posted : 12/31/2010 4:07:37 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

If someone were to present at an ER having freaked out on a conventional psychedelic, the treatment options depend on how 'disturbed' the poor tripper was.A mildish freakout may just require some reassuring words; a more pronounced freakout would merit a benzo (of which xanax is a modern derivative).A full-on freakout with no discernible links to the consensus reality would probably get a benzo with a dose of anti-psychotic such as chlorpromazine/haloperidol.

Buspirone is the only anxiolytic sedative which goes badly with MAOIs.
I am paranoid of my brain. It thinks all the time, even when I'm asleep. My thoughts assail me. Murderous lechers they are. Thought is the assassin of thought. Like a man stabbing himself with one hand while the other hand tries to stop the blade. Like an explosion that destroys the detonator. I am paranoid of my brain. It makes me unsettled and ill at ease. Makes me chase my tail, freezes my eyes and shuts me down. Watches me. Eats my head. It destroys me.