We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
An unlikely candidate for DMT? Options

SkepticalJay
#1 Posted : 12/26/2010 9:19:26 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Greetings,

About a week ago my friend introduced me to the idea of taking DMT. Before then I had never been interested in taking a psychotropic substance of any kind. It's not that I thought taking them would be wrong (I've experimented with some weaker recreational drugs like pot and alcohol), but I just never saw the appeal, perhaps because I made the error of putting hallucinogens in the same category as recreational drugs.

After my friend showed me a few videos on DMT, however, I became intrigued at the idea of altering my perceptual awareness in order to gain some insights about myself and maybe even the greater universe. The past week I have obsessively researched DMT and I'm beginning to seriously consider taking the journey. Before I do, however, I wanted to have a few conversations with people experienced in taking the drug. Hence, I am here.

I feel like an unlikely candidate for DMT simply because I have ZERO experience with hallucinogens. So, I would like to explicitly state what it is I'm trying to do and what it is I am not trying to do.

What I'm trying to do:
1. Approach DMT use with the proper attitude and respect.
2. Reach some kind of spiritual progression through DMT use
3. Avoid common mistakes make by first time users
4. Learn how to best make use of my experiences after the fact.
5. Make sure that I go into the experience with the proper expectations.

What I'm not trying to do:
1. Discover a new recreational drug because I'm bored.
2. Reach enlightenment simply by using DMT

I hope that the kind people of this forum will be able to offer me helpful advice.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

endlessness
#2 Posted : 12/26/2010 10:46:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hello SkepticalJay Smile Welcome to the Nexus!

While its definitely more common that people have other psychedelic experiences before DMT, that isnt necessarily a must, and there have been a few people here in the forum that have taken DMT as their first psychoactive substances. I think the way you are approaching it is pretty reasonable, which is definitely a plus on your side.

Nothing can actually fully prepare you for the experience, but if you take care of a few points, chances of it being positive/productive (or at least not negative) increase. First thing I strongly suggest reading all of our Health and Safety section, as it talks about several things such as integration and so on. Also do check the FAQ for more general questions regarding DMT.

I think maybe the mistake n1 from people trying dmt for the first time is their smoking method. A lot of us in the Nexus that tried different methods agree that by far the best way in terms of effectiveness and smoothness of vapor is a GVG (Glass Vapor Genie) plus a torch lighter, but it is costly, so not many people are willing to get it. If that isnt an option, maybe you can try infusing some herbs and smoking in a bong.

As for your intentions regarding "learning about yourself and the universe", well, im not sure you are going to get what you want with smoked dmt. Im not saying its not possible, but regarding "yourself", often the vaporized DMT experiences are so 'out there' that there seems to be very little of personal questions involved. That isnt always the case but I would say in general, yes. I think oral dmt (as in, ayahuasca or pharmahuasca) lends itself much better as an introspective/self-development tool.

And regarding "the universe", I would say dmt will actually raise way more questions than it will answer. Also please be careful with interpreting what happens. Once in a while someone comes in the forum with grandeur delusional ideas, about how they are the chosen one, taking the experience literally and talking about entities telling them about the secret of the universe and what not. Thats why I think the skepticism in your nickname might come in handy. While the experience subjectively feels very real, we still need to learn how to come back, integrate and be able to live our daily lives in a balanced way.

Good luck, and do tell us how it goes if you do try it!

The_Shaman
#3 Posted : 12/26/2010 3:42:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Many lil' pearls of wisdom endless has layed on you , listen to it!

also, try the Changa , imo it lends to a deeper more satisfying journey , and slows it down a bit , makes the entire experience a bit more manageable.

That obsession you speak of is most fascinating to me , it seems to be the way it happens for most folks I have talked to , Once you hear of this miracle it is always on your mind. It is our destiny.

I know for me , this path has been most rewarding.

safe journeys my friend.

Obviously everything the Shaman says is Hyperspace Hyperbole

SpiralNeuroEclipse
#4 Posted : 12/26/2010 4:42:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

If possible, i would recommend trying other psychedelics first, such as mushrooms or LSD. I personally just cant imagine if DMT was my first psychedelic.. I would have probably resisted the whole ride and got spit back into reality a confused mess. (still happens to me on occasion Razz)

I personally would recommend trying some mushrooms or LSD, which will provide you with good insights about life, yourself, and consciousness, if you are seeking them.

Welcome to the nexus my freind Smile

Felnik
#5 Posted : 12/26/2010 6:23:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Lots of good information here at nexus
I would suggest being careful of expectations.
Don't put too much weight on what other people say in terms if they're
Experiences. Begin by approaching it on your own terms. Take it gradual and slow.
It will take a little while to figure out a method that works for you.
Keep an open mind . Try to stay grounded in rational thought as much as possible.
Set and setting is everything. Don't be in a hurry for answers. Expect endless questions
You will crave knowledge on every conceivable topic. Try not to bring a belief system to this. Take it as it comes
Work on your breathing
Proceed slowly .
Your experiences may be stranger than you ever imagined .
The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
Arthur C. Clarke

http://vimeo.com/32001208

Autodidactic
#6 Posted : 12/26/2010 6:54:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Echoing some previous posts, the smoking method is probably the most important thing. Also don't give up because of not breaking through in the first few times, I've seen some people get pretty frustrated not being able to breakthrough. The biggest problem I've seen mainly with people not vaping it is getting enough of it in your lungs.
*The above text represents a fictional alter ego, none of it is based on the experiences of a real person.*

"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." Oscar Wilde

obliguhl
#7 Posted : 12/26/2010 9:54:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

DMT was my first psychedelic experience. There are some advantages to a small to medium dose:

1.Very short
2.Breaks through the anxiety barrier quickly
3.Powerful to show you whats possible with psychedelics

Mushrooms can be very emotional and i think more challenging than a sub breakthrough dose. With dmt, there is no room for negative thought spirals to occur - youll be too amazed for that.
After your first experience, a seed will be planted. You don't know into what this seed will grow, but it will be planted. You will gain knowledge, but perhaps not the knowledge you are expecting.

A common theme is to think the following: "WTF WAS THAT?"

Its especially mindblowing the first times because you have absolutely no clue what its about.
But thats ok, because noone really knows...we are all learning, developing. Smoked freebase can give you that one kick into the realms of the psychedelic. It can...no IT WILL fill you with wonder and awe, leaving you re-structured and possibly intrigued. For me, the days after my first experiences were all about discovering new subtletys in life....

In general, you can learn more about "yourself" with ayahuasca, in terms of clearer messages...but ayahuasca is a whole different animal. If you are curios..freebase is a good option. But: Don't forget that this is no childs play. It demands respect, responsibility and you have to !!!!listen!!!!. They love you by loving you, they love you by punishing you..

Beside all that, you seem to be a good candidate, judging from your post only.
But only you can decide, and only you should decide.

SkepticalJay
#8 Posted : 12/27/2010 9:07:05 PM
DMT-Nexus member

endlessness wrote:

Nothing can actually fully prepare you for the experience, but if you take care of a few points, chances of it being positive/productive (or at least not negative) increase. First thing I strongly suggest reading all of our Health and Safety section, as it talks about several things such as integration and so on. Also do check the FAQ for more general questions regarding DMT.

Believe me, I scoured this community as a lurker for days before I made my first post. Smile

Quote:
As for your intentions regarding "learning about yourself and the universe", well, im not sure you are going to get what you want with smoked dmt. Im not saying its not possible, but regarding "yourself", often the vaporized DMT experiences are so 'out there' that there seems to be very little of personal questions involved. That isnt always the case but I would say in general, yes. I think oral dmt (as in, ayahuasca or pharmahuasca) lends itself much better as an introspective/self-development tool.

Perhaps I should clarify what I meant by "learning about myself and the universe". Because I am an agent in the universe, anything I learn about myself implies that I've also learned something about the universe; therefore, there is a sense in which that phrase is redundant. However, as a being blanketed in my own skepticism (hence the name), I am sympathetic to the views of solipsism. It is possible that my universe is different than yours. This is not to say I don't believe in an objective reality, but just that I may never understand what the world looks like through your eyes. I believe that DMT may provide a way, by altering my perception, to help me learn more about what makes up the contours of MY universe and maybe, just maybe, the way it relates to yours.

Quote:
And regarding "the universe", I would say dmt will actually raise way more questions than it will answer.

I sure hope so. I am pursuing wonder. I have reached a place in my life where I feel a sense of spiritual stagnation. I am no longer impressed and I need to be shaken up. For some reason, the idea of DMT has appealed to me as a tool to bring some amazement back into my life. I am open to all the confusion it may bring.

By the way, I have already made up my mind to do this. It's just a matter of finding the perfect setting and company for it.

Bill Cipher
#9 Posted : 12/27/2010 11:05:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

You seem like a perfect candidate to me, regardless of your lack of prior drug experience. Just try to stay malleable - that's rule #1 - turn off your mind, relax and float downstream. It's nothing you're thinking it's going to be. This is instant blunt force divinity. If you're not amazed once you've returned, you're probably not amazable.

۩
#10 Posted : 12/27/2010 11:11:24 PM

Quote:
If you're not amazed once you've returned, you're probably not amazable.

Or you aren't doing it right ;]

aetherbound
#11 Posted : 12/28/2010 1:56:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcome to the Nexus and as far as I can tell youre as good a candidate as anyone else! I had done various hallucinogens before DMT and none of them could have prepared me for that. Closest maybe shrooms as in "All is one" message...For me it has been a progressive journey with the hard ones I believe being the precursors to the next level. I agree with everyone else that it has led to more questions than answers and I have been reading EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING...lol...I believe there is a thread of truth in all subjects whether I believe in them or not...
The only thing you can be sure of is amazement...and the feeling when you come back that the vast knowledge of the universe was stuffed into your brain but you cant quite remember it...

Namaste
Aetherbound
In all chaos there is a cosmos, in all disorder a secret order..Jung
All above writing with the exception of Dr. Jung's quote is pure mushroom encrusted cowpie!

shishigami
#12 Posted : 12/28/2010 8:45:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Your list of what you want to do and not want fills me with joy in people's ability to do drugs in a safe and non reckless manner.

I see so many people just taking drugs with the "haha man lets just get fuucked upp" mentality which, in my opinion, leads to stricter enforcement and dangerous situations.

Welcome to the nexus!

ragabr
#13 Posted : 12/28/2010 5:11:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcome to the Nexus! Be cool, be well.
PK Dick is to LSD as HP Lovecraft is to Mushrooms

just phil
#14 Posted : 12/29/2010 11:49:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

have no expectations and dont let your lack of experience have you go into it in FEAR.

i wish you the best on your travels,
peace love and paperclips
Just Phil