We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
substituting Lye for Lime Options

wineart
#1 Posted : 12/28/2010 5:33:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIM's plan was to do a Q12Q12 extraction. When SWIM went to get lime he got lye instead (on purpose). Does SWIM have to make any adjustments?

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

ragabr
#2 Posted : 12/28/2010 7:03:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

You won't be able to use a drytek, as it takes advantage of lime's poor water solubility. You'll need an A/B or STB for lye. The DMT Handbook has a general version of each very well outlined.
PK Dick is to LSD as HP Lovecraft is to Mushrooms

q21q21
#3 Posted : 12/28/2010 7:11:59 PM

SWIM

Ya, not sure if a lime drytek would work.

THIS is what you are looking for.
To be honest though if it were up to SWIM he wouldn't bother reducing or separating the acid-cooks from the bark ut rather adding just enough water to get it soupy then cook, then (carefully) add lye
Reduction and filtration is a long process that uses a lot of energy and time.

SWIM has never done that tek though, he has only done STB with lye in the past, but with an STB the bark is still in the soup.
It may end up with darker spice if you leave the bark in, so it's your choice

GOOD LUCK!

Q21Q21's Tek: A comprehensive guide to extracting DMT
The 2 teks use non-toxic lime and vinegar and Tek 1: d-Limonene or Xylene or Tek 2: Naptha to produce very quick high yields with the greatest of ease.

I am almost never on this site anymore so I will likely not answer PMs

endlessness
#4 Posted : 12/28/2010 7:50:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

As said before, why not just do an STB or A/B instead, if you're using lye? One only uses a drytek because of using lime which isnt water soluble...

wineart
#5 Posted : 12/28/2010 10:40:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIM wasn't planning on DRYTEK, SWIM was planning on doing Q12Q12. I shoulda bought the lime instead of lye?

endlessness
#6 Posted : 12/28/2010 10:55:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

q21 is a dry tek. Dry tek is a general name for using these teks which you mix your powdered plant material with the base and add just a bit of water to make a paste (or you leave it soaking in just a bit of vinegar before and add the base later, without adding loads of water like other normal teks).

If you scroll down the main wiki page you see the division of the extraction teks Smile

I suggest reading a few different teks to get better the feeling of what these extractions are all about.

Good luck

q21q21
#7 Posted : 12/29/2010 12:58:42 AM

SWIM

Thanks for giving the information endlessness and to try and prevent such questions, which this is not the first of.

THIS TEK WILL NOT WORK WITH LYE, IT IS ONLY MADE FOR LIME
(in bold red under the description of lime)

has been added the Q21Q21's tek

Cheers
The 2 teks use non-toxic lime and vinegar and Tek 1: d-Limonene or Xylene or Tek 2: Naptha to produce very quick high yields with the greatest of ease.

Crystalito
#8 Posted : 12/29/2010 2:27:01 AM
DMT-Nexus member

However, i wonder if it could work better if one utilised a concentrated lye solution to wetten the lime-mimosa in order to make a paste. Higher ph could "attack" cells better, resulting propably in more material seeping out for the non-polar to grab...

Just a thought...

cker
#9 Posted : 12/29/2010 3:00:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Wineart, Teks using lye are water based (ie the A/B or STB teks). If you want a dry tek, you need to be aware of the difference between CaCO3 (garden lime) and Ca(OH)2 (pickeling lime).

Pickling Lime also goes by other names such as:
Ca(OH)2
calcium hydroxide
slaked lime
hydrated lime
builders lime
slack lime
cal

All of the materials above refer to pickeling lime. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium_hydroxide

To make things a bit more confusing, other compounds are also known as lime; namely garden lime (CaCO3 or calcium carbonate) and quicklime which is CaO (calcium oxide). Neither garden lime or quicklime is chemically equivalent to pickling lime but all are sometimes refered to as lime.

Hopefully this post doesn't increase confusion. Maybe it would be helpful to add a note on the wiki that the term "lime" can be vague.

q21q21
#10 Posted : 12/29/2010 3:08:11 AM

SWIM

SWIM threw out his lye a while ago so he doesn't know if or how well a lye-paste would work.

It may work, if anyone is willing to test it there would be a change in the consistency and less water wold be needed (and lye-precautions as always)
it would be nice to know whether that would work.
The note was put in the tek because the whole idea behind the tek is to remove lye from the equation.