We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
OTC cold medicine and Pharma Options

Choothos
#1 Posted : 12/28/2010 12:04:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey all,

Just wondering how long should I wait after taking Nyquil liquid gels, before taking pharma?

Thanks.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

SHroomtroll
#2 Posted : 12/28/2010 2:06:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Depends what they contain? if it´s over the counter it should be preety safe but i could be wrong, the brands containing morphine or dxm are only by precip right?

Choothos
#3 Posted : 12/28/2010 2:25:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ummm. Pretty sure alot of OTC's contain DXM. I think this one may have DXM in it, although I'm not certain. I'd have to google it, because I don't have the box.

Crystalito
#4 Posted : 12/28/2010 3:46:14 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
if it´s over the counter it should be preety safe but i could be wrong

You could be gravely wrong! Codeine and DXM are not the only dangers while inhibiting MAO enzyme. There are over the counter medicine for cold that contain pseudoephedrine which could pose a hypertensive crisis problem, and also there are many medicine (OTC,mind you!) that are contradicted with MAOIs.

Of course if one knows the name of the medicine he/she could check it online -for example this contains DXM, APAP and an antihistamine if i am correct.

My input on the subject in general would be that it might be in your best interest to wait for pharma until cold has gone away. I never understood what is the urge of people to dose on any psychoactive when physicaly they do not feel ok. Apart from that, what does it say about patience? Waiting 3-4 days for a virus/flu/cold to clear is not that much of a time period...If you cant exhibit patience for 3-4 days then there are lots of things that you can not do, depending on patience alone!

Feel free to disagree!

Choothos
#5 Posted : 12/28/2010 3:55:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks, Crystalito.

I never did look it up, but I'm fairly certain you are correct about the DXM.

I had my first pharma experience on Christmas Eve, while I still had this "bug" or whatever. I'm not really sick, just a scratchy throat and stuffy nose.
The experience report is HERE

I took the Nyquil last night, and was just wondering if I could maybe do pharma again tonight, or if it would be too soon.

Don't want to accidentally die because of some cough medicine. That would suck.... probably.

Choothos
#6 Posted : 12/28/2010 3:58:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So, I just checked and it contains acetaminophen, DXM, doxylamine, and pseudoephedrine. How long will these be in my body?

Crystalito
#7 Posted : 12/28/2010 5:03:08 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Check their half-lives...A rule of thumb (research it more though!) is that you need 4-5 half-lives of a drug to pass ,until its presence in your body can be considered negligible.That holds semi-true for one dosage of a non-time release medicine. I am being totally anal here, propably i err on the very cautious side meaning that you could do it sooner : check though which compound has the bigger half-life. I wonder also how each compound in the formulation affects the metabolism of the others : usually they should cross-affect eachother too much, pharmacologically speaking this would be a "disadvantage" for a medication unless of course its done in purpose (to increase bioavailability of a compound).

Choothos
#8 Posted : 12/28/2010 5:06:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

As fun as that sounds, I think I'll just wait a day or so.

Thanks though!