We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Good Books Options

drob
#1 Posted : 12/22/2010 1:43:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Couldn't find a book thread via search, so thought I'd start one. Do you have any good books to recommend?

Here's some:

J.D. Arthurs - 'Salvia Divinorum'
J. Oroc - 'Tryptamine Palace'
M. Stein - 'Principles of Individuation'
D. Adams - 'Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency'
A. Chekhov - 'The Witch' (short story)

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Psytherion
#2 Posted : 12/22/2010 4:16:13 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Here's some that I have read or been reading.

Currently reading:
C.J.Calleman - The Mayan Calendar and the Transformation of Consciousness

Books read:
A.Pessin - The 60-Second Philosopher
A.Huxley - The Doors of Perception
R.Strassman - DMT The Spirit Molecule

They've all been good the current one is by far my favorite though.

corpus callosum
#3 Posted : 12/22/2010 6:51:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

Theres a long-running thread here at the Nexus entitled 'book bin' ;definitely worth checking out.Quite enlightening to know what the Nexians like to readSmile
I am paranoid of my brain. It thinks all the time, even when I'm asleep. My thoughts assail me. Murderous lechers they are. Thought is the assassin of thought. Like a man stabbing himself with one hand while the other hand tries to stop the blade. Like an explosion that destroys the detonator. I am paranoid of my brain. It makes me unsettled and ill at ease. Makes me chase my tail, freezes my eyes and shuts me down. Watches me. Eats my head. It destroys me.

dream_denizen
#4 Posted : 12/22/2010 7:14:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I second Aldous Huxley - The Doors of Perception

Also check out:

Carlos Castaneda - The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge

Carlos Castaneda - The Art of Dreaming

Rene Descartes - Meditations

Swarupa
#5 Posted : 12/22/2010 8:36:34 PM
DMT-Nexus member

'Talks with Ramana Maharshi'

hexagonal
#6 Posted : 12/22/2010 9:05:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

some great ones already mentioned. I really love castaneda. The JD Arthur book is really interesting although I can't imagine being able to smoke the stuff that often. I wish there would be a 'spirit molecule' equivalent book for this plant.

I can also recommend (keeping it psychedelic related for now):

Jeremy Narby - The Cosmic Serpent (about dmt, dna, anthropology and lots more)
Ram Dass (Rich Alpert) - Be Here Now (beautiful story about radical transformation, and astounding drawings).

Magicman
#7 Posted : 12/22/2010 9:12:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Huxley's doors of perception , i second that. thoroughly . god i loved that book.

drob
#8 Posted : 12/22/2010 11:46:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I really enjoyed Castaneda's books, I know their pretty dubious in terms of authenticity - but still a great yarn. Thanks for Jeremy Narby tip, I've heard about it but never got round to buying it. Has any one read Ram Dass's new book 'Be Love Now?'

hexagonal
#9 Posted : 12/23/2010 10:33:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

drob wrote:
I really enjoyed Castaneda's books, I know their pretty dubious in terms of authenticity - but still a great yarn. Thanks for Jeremy Narby tip, I've heard about it but never got round to buying it. Has any one read Ram Dass's new book 'Be Love Now?'

yeah, i read his (castandeda) first book not knowing about the author and was really saddened to find out. Then i reread it and thought 'this is written so powerfully and convincingly it doesn't matter how authentic it is. This guy knows about altered states'. They're just beautiful stories imo, probably (partly) based on true experiences.

I browsed through 'be love now' and it's unlikely that i'll buy it. Admittedly my attitude towards this book is prematurely negative when thinking it's a cash in, a rehashing of old ideas, without the beautiful format of his classic. Ram Dass is a great guy, but the strokes he suffered have left him unable to write as he used to and it's a shame, but he gave us 'be here now' and it seems to me all there is to know and cherish.