We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Doing first Aya brew...could someone double-check my method? Options

physics envy
#1 Posted : 12/15/2010 6:45:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hello All!

This is SWIMs first Ayahuasca brewing, and was hoping one or two of you might peruse the method so far and see if you notice anything incorrect...

Using 100g shredded Yellow vine purchased roughly 6 months ago from Maya. It has been stored in a zip-lock bag inside a closed bag in a closet.

Using reverse-osmosis water and 5% vinegar at 1 tablespoon per litre.

Added 500ml water/vinegar to the vine, and brought to a low boil. Added 750ml water/vinegar over the 3-hour boiling period.

After 3 hours, strained the mixture through a t-shirt. While straining, a few pieces of the mixture fell into the juice, so the juice was then ran through a coffee filter. Ended up with 130ml of juice from the first boil. Placed this in a mason jar and in the fridge until the next boils tomorrow. The pot with the vine was also placed in the fridge overnight.

During reduction, will use Olympus Mon’s egg-white method to reduce tannins.

Any suggestions or any obvious errors? On the Ayahuasca.com site, their main preparation thread says to keep the water just below boiling…but I don’t think this site suggested it. In any case, it didn't burn.

Thanks everyone!!!

Namaste
Salvia quid enthusiast

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

olympus mon
#2 Posted : 12/15/2010 8:59:58 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Tattooist specialized in indigenous art, Fine art, medium ink and pen.

all looks pretty good but a couple things caught my eye that you could improve on.
for one more h20. water is your friend, the more you use the more medium there is to hold the alkaloids. the only reason volume is an issue is because of reducing.
dont measure just pour water in until the vine is good and covered with agua. you can remove the lid in the last hour of each boil to pre-reduce some excess water.

ok,... the second thing your not going to like. using a coffee filter takes out hella goodies. theres no need to do a tannin binding step now. its not a total waste or anything but i would expect your brew to be on the weaker side so maybe consider that when deciding on dosage.

next time pour the finished wash through a t-shirt 2-3 times. then do a tannin binding and drink the sludge. this will be very active and very potent but little to no nausea.

also i agree an not having a raging boiling pot. a light boil to hot simmer is good.
I am not gonna lie, shits gonna get weird!
Troubles Breaking Through? Click here.
The Art of Changa. making the perfect blend.

physics envy
#3 Posted : 12/15/2010 9:27:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks, Olympus. You made another point I didn't specify initially...the pot was uncovered the whole time...

I was afraid the coffee filter might get some goodies so I did my best to scrape any 'mud' back into the original mixture...but I will not use any more filters! I will also add more water to start with on the 2nd boil, and use a lid.

Any problems leaving everything in the fridge until I can do boil #2?

Thanks again!!!

Namaste

Salvia quid enthusiast

olympus mon
#4 Posted : 12/15/2010 9:33:59 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Tattooist specialized in indigenous art, Fine art, medium ink and pen.

o good you saved the sludge! nice your all good then juts put it back in the wash it came from and proceed.

yea i like to keep the pot covered until the last 30 min. otherwise you just end up having to re-add water. the vine must stay submerged until the end of the wash cycle.

yes, you may refer it for days if need be. heres another good tip. if you have the time, put the saturated vine shreds in the freezer over night. the freezing expansion of the water molecules will burst the cell walls and let the goods come out easier. Very happy

how much are you panning on drinking? are you staggering the mixtures?

physics envy
#5 Posted : 12/15/2010 9:40:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks, Olympus. I just put the mixture into the freezer for the night. Would it have been better to pre-soak the vine, then freeze before the first boil?

Just had time tonight to do the first 3-hour boil, so will finish up tomorrow hopefully. Then will use your egg-white trick during reduction. After that we'll decide on a dosage plan. There was no intention for staggering the mixtures (if I understand your question), just ran out of time this evening.

Thanks so much! And we're very excited for the tannin reduction methods you've been working on...SWIM is known to have a weak stomach!
Salvia quid enthusiast

Shaolin
#6 Posted : 12/15/2010 10:05:44 AM

Stiletto Stoner

olympus mon wrote:
if you have the time, put the saturated vine shreds in the freezer over night

Saturated meaning "in the acidic solution" ?
Got GVG ? Mhm. Got DMT ?

Pandora wrote:
Nexus enjoys cutting edge and ongoing superior programming skills of the owner of this site (The Traveler), including recent switching to the .me domain name.

I'm still, I'm still Jenny from the block

Simon Jester wrote:
"WTF n00b, buy the $100 vapor pipe or GTFO"

Ignorance of the law does not protect you from prosecution

gibran2
#7 Posted : 12/15/2010 3:00:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expertSenior Member

Take a look at this thread. You’ll see that five 45-minute boils will remove about the same amount of alkaloids as three 3-hour boils. There’s no advantage to extremely long boils.

Another piece of info. from that thread:

11.9g of caapi boiled for 2 hours (4 x 0.5) will release the same amount of alkaloids as 10g of caapi boiled for 9 hours (3 x 3).

I think long boils are more traditional – I was watching “The Spirit Molecule” the other night and a scene is shown of Amazonians preparing ayahuasca. A huge pot is filled with caapi vine, but it looks like the vine is barely shredded. With essentially whole vine pieces, longer boils are probably necessary, but with finely shredded vine, 2-4 hours is fine.
gibran2 is a fictional character. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

olympus mon
#8 Posted : 12/15/2010 5:17:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Shaolin wrote:
olympus mon wrote:
if you have the time, put the saturated vine shreds in the freezer over night

Saturated meaning "in the acidic solution" ?

yes, exactly.

physics envy- your quite welcome, glad i can help. i wouldnt worry about not having done this freeze step for the first boil. its not at all necessary just good to do if your breaking up the brewing into multiple days. sometimes i do it other times i dont.

there nothing at all wrong with 3 hour washes but i agree with gibran and his research has shown it to be not necessary. if you have the time great but 4 or more shorter washes does the trick just fine. Very happy

o and i meant are you going to drink the caapi+add mixture at the same time or 20 min apart when i mentioned staggering the dose.

i wish you a healing wonderful first session.

physics envy
#9 Posted : 12/15/2010 9:43:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Olympus - As we have no experience with Aya, (but much with spice vapor), we will be using caapi-only for now. If this gets the healing done that SWIMs wife would like, we may not need further Aya dreams in the near term...but we will see :-)

Gibran2 - Thank you for the link and the work to test the actual numbers! I have one long boil completed so I think I'll switch to maybe 3 more 45 minute boils. Thanks!

Namaste
Salvia quid enthusiast

olympus mon
#10 Posted : 12/15/2010 10:44:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

physics envy wrote:
Olympus - As we have no experience with Aya, (but much with spice vapor), we will be using caapi-only for now. If this gets the healing done that SWIMs wife would like, we may not need further Aya dreams in the near term...but we will see :-)
Namaste

i think thats a great idea. i really love caapi only ayahuasca. its my preference lately. heavy caapi only brewsVery happy . when you get to the point of visual and auditory hallucinations thats where i like it. the visuals are like nothing ive ever seen. blue, light, tendril like webs is all i can describe it as.

im happy for you 2. have a great experience. i hope you report it.

physics envy
#11 Posted : 12/15/2010 11:01:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you Olyumpus. Our dreams from spice are VERY different from each other...we shall find out if Aya is the same :-) Swim's wife tends to get a lot of healing, insight, and questions answered from low dose spice vapor without paying much attention to visuals. SWIM is more of a hard-head and loves the visuals but has started to tune them out while trying to answer personal questions as well, but just doesn't get near the information that Wife does. We are curious to see how Aya compares, especially to some of the changa blends we've tried.

Olympus, would you mind giving just a quick run-down of how & when to do the egg-white reduction? Should we reduce the previous boils while doing the new washes, then combine them all at the end and do the egg-white at that time?

Thanks!
Salvia quid enthusiast

olympus mon
#12 Posted : 12/16/2010 2:25:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

surely, i start the protein binding after all the combined washes are reduced to about 2-3 cups of liquid. i feel the best method is to spread an egg white very thinly across a frying pan and make a thin the sheet. place the egg sheet on top of the brew and submerge. think surface area!!!! i anchored the egg white because its wants to float. use a small spoon or like metal item just not aluminum.

i let it lightly boil for a while almost 20-30 min. that may have been overkill but the egg kept picking up more and more tannins. eventually it felt like a dog's chew toy or a pig ear. quite strange plastic like.

its super easy so dont sweat it. your clearly a smart guy. Very happy

physics envy
#13 Posted : 12/16/2010 2:31:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks again, Olympus. I think I should be able to handle it from here ;-) We are very grateful for your time and help!

I will definitely write up some sort of review...although I am generally not very good at describing the subjective aspects of experiences. I will at least mention the nausea factor ;-)

Take care!
Salvia quid enthusiast

obliguhl
#14 Posted : 12/16/2010 6:56:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So, you want to drink the whole 100g at once?

physics envy
#15 Posted : 12/17/2010 12:25:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

obliquhl - SWIMs wife plans on starting with 30g, and boosting it with another 20g or so if needed. Although it may not carry over, she has a pretty low requirement for vaped spice, so we're going to take it easy with the caapi as well and start out slowly...
Salvia quid enthusiast

teotenakeltje
#16 Posted : 12/21/2010 10:48:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

olympus mon wrote:

next time pour the finished wash through a t-shirt 2-3 times. then do a tannin binding and drink the sludge. this will be very active and very potent but little to no nausea.

If you use washing powder to wash your clothes, then please make sure to rinse or maybe boil the cloth before...the only time i tried to brew caapi, i fucked it up bad cause it tasted disgusting!! believe me, it was not the caapi taste...