We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Wild Grass Extraction Coming Right Up - phalaris arundinacea or just a look-a-like? Options

DMTime
#1 Posted : 8/6/2008 8:03:20 PM

DMTime

Just for kicks

SWIM plans on picking 5 pounds, running it through a juicer, washing the juice with solvent, raise the ph to 14, extract alkoliods with solvent then freeze.

Swim needs to know if pic #1 & 2 are the correct choosings

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

lemmy
#2 Posted : 8/7/2008 1:17:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

dont know mate,but looking forward to seing your results.

DMTime
#3 Posted : 8/7/2008 1:30:06 PM

DMTime

SWIM thinks #2 is wrong and #1 is either young canary reed or something close but SWIM having trouble finding anything that looks like this

Maybe the grass looks different in the vegatative / flowering stage

polytrip
#4 Posted : 8/9/2008 6:03:09 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: A speck of dust in endless space, like everyone else.
#1 doesn't look like canary reed.#2 does on the picture, but if you want to be for sure: the seed husks in canary reed always come in rows on several 'branches' so it looks a bit like a hand with it's fingers if you look closer. Sometimes, but not always, the leaves heve a sort of zebra stripe.

Garulfo
#5 Posted : 8/9/2008 8:02:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

1# could be phalaris aquatica, but photo too blurred to be sure.
2 is not arundinacea for sure.

DMTime
#6 Posted : 8/11/2008 9:16:13 PM

DMTime

SWIM ended up using grass that looked like #1, these plants were young no more that 12 inches tall.

After the alkaloid extraction their seems to be a massive emulsion that just will not dispurse

This is the emulsified solvent with the first h2o wash on the bottom

actual plants used

burnt
#7 Posted : 8/12/2008 12:32:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

yea there is going to be a lot of lipids in such an extract. try acidifying to lower pH defatting and then going back to base.

DMTime
#8 Posted : 8/13/2008 2:21:02 AM

DMTime

Ill tell SWIM to not skip out on the defat for the future experiments, but after pouring off some solvent from the fats and freezing nothing precipitated. Could one simply evap the solvent, or gas with hcl? Any experimental suggestions here?

amor_fati
#9 Posted : 8/13/2008 6:19:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

The lake that I like to swim at is has a nigh-bottomless supply of canary reed grass, and I know for sure that it is in fact phalaris arundinacea. I'm itching to give it a try, but I don't have a wheat juicer. I've heard that the highest alkaloid content is in the leaves, so I would probably just harvest the leaves; it'd be easier to send through the juicer as well. I'm wondering what the typical alkaloid content of the juice itself would be. I've heard that it's just not worth the effort, but I figure that if it works out well, I've got a free, abundant, and local supply of spice.

acolon_5
#10 Posted : 8/18/2008 6:57:09 PM

The Great Namah

amor_fati wrote:
The lake that I like to swim at is has a nigh-bottomless supply of canary reed grass, and I know for sure that it is in fact phalaris arundinacea. I'm itching to give it a try, but I don't have a wheat juicer. I've heard that the highest alkaloid content is in the leaves, so I would probably just harvest the leaves; it'd be easier to send through the juicer as well. I'm wondering what the typical alkaloid content of the juice itself would be. I've heard that it's just not worth the effort, but I figure that if it works out well, I've got a free, abundant, and local supply of spice.

The alkaloid content varies dramatically. Just pull off a couple of kilo's of leaves and go from there. Just remember to defat the heck out of it.

It is not going to be anywhere as clean a profile as from Mimosa, but it sure is a good way to get a free supply.
The Spice extends life
The Spice expands consciousness
The Spice is vital for space travel
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Never underestimate the power of STUFF!

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.

amor_fati
#11 Posted : 8/19/2008 8:03:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

I'd be all over it already if it were easier for me to get a juicer. I had a couple kilos way back, but only had a blender; I ended up having to get rid of the material anyway. So many setbacks!

Jorkest
#12 Posted : 10/6/2008 4:32:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf ProgrammingChemical expert | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf Programming

what you can do is freeze it and then thaw it a few times to break open the cell walls...and then blend the piss out of it...take all that liquid gunk and do some defats...and then once thats done...basify and extract..do freeze precip...and then after that you can recrystallize and possibly end up with some beautiful xtalz
it's a sound