We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Please help: White "floaters" after dissolving crystals in Acetone Options

tele
#1 Posted : 12/16/2010 5:32:39 PM
Explorer

Hi,

tried redissolving crystals that came off q21's tek and the crystals themselves dissolved fine, but some amount did not dissolve in the acetone
Let me clear that up:Below there are two pictures of acetone shot glass with dissolved crystals(0,1grams) in it, and undissolved floaters. What it might be?

UPDATE: The floaters turned out to be residues of a plastic mixing bowl, therefore I would strongly recommend glass/metal bowls!

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Infundibulum
#2 Posted : 12/16/2010 5:42:11 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

Freebases are extremely soluble in acetone. If something does not dissolve in acetone then you really really really do not want it. Seriously.

It is hard to know what that is but it is good that you utilise acetone as a further means for purifying the end product from impurities that may have gotten there. It could most likely be some salts that ended up there possibly by a million of different ways.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

tele
#3 Posted : 12/16/2010 5:44:27 PM
Explorer

Infundibulum wrote:
Freebases are extremely soluble in acetone. If something does not dissolve in acetone then you really really really do not want it. Seriously.

It is hard to know what that is but is is promising that you utilise acetone as a further means for purificating the end product from impurities that may have gotten there. It could be some salts which could have end up there by a million of different ways.

Do you have any advice on how to filter those floaters out?
How about pouring the acetone through coffee filter, but I suppose the coffee filter will absorb some of the dissolved crystals in the acetone?
thanks

tele
#4 Posted : 12/16/2010 5:54:13 PM
Explorer

OK I managed to pour the acetone through coffee filter, but it obviously absorbed some of the DMT from the acetone. Is there any more effective way to filter out the impurities? How about sodium carbonate wash? Please advice

tele
#5 Posted : 12/16/2010 6:19:18 PM
Explorer

I have been doing some reading and some suggest it might be other psychoactive materials, such as dmt n-oxide? It seems that not everybody gets this, so I would like to learn more about this sticky oil...

justine
#6 Posted : 12/16/2010 7:02:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

If it's some n-oxide salt it should smell similar to dmt.
To see the world in a grain of sand, and to see heaven in a wild flower, hold infinity in the palm of your hands, and eternity in an hour.
- William Blake

tele
#7 Posted : 12/16/2010 7:17:41 PM
Explorer

justine wrote:
If it's some n-oxide salt it should smell similar to dmt.

It actually does smell similar, except it's just stronger and has a hint of calcium hydroxide-type of smell... Can anyone confirm if this n-oxide should be dissolved with acetone?

Swarupa
#8 Posted : 12/17/2010 10:58:26 AM
DMT-Nexus member

If it didn't dissolve in acetone i would not be thinking about keeping it & smoking it at all, pure white DMT dissolves instantly in acetone.

I've never had this with q21 tek, i wonder if the solvent you used (what was it?) pulled some undesirables from your MHRB/Lime mix...

What container did you mix in? Hopefully glass not plastic...

tele
#9 Posted : 12/17/2010 11:16:08 AM
Explorer

Chronic wrote:
If it didn't dissolve in acetone i would not be thinking about keeping it & smoking it at all, pure white DMT dissolves instantly in acetone.

I've never had this with q21 tek, i wonder if the solvent you used (what was it?) pulled some undesirables from your MHRB/Lime mix...

What container did you mix in? Hopefully glass not plastic...

Hi,

did you mean what container did I use to mix the acetone with crystals? I used small shot glass... And whem mixing up MHRB/vinegar/lime/naphtha, two plastic bowls like in the pictures of q21q21's tek.

I have been reading on the web that other people get also the sticky stuff with the crystals... (for example by googling: dmt goo)

It does smell like DMT, but stronger, I wonder if it's n-oxide, but then, should it be dissolved in acetone also?

Ï did the tek correctly(Altough I used 10% vinegar instead of 5%) and the solvent is also pure and hydrotreated hexane from the pharmacy.

Now that it's filtered out with coffee filter(now pure dmt acetone) the DMT seems very pure and smells perfect.
However the DMT seems slightly waxy(when squeezed between fingers) after 24hrs after redissolving in acetone, is this ok?

endlessness
#10 Posted : 12/17/2010 12:17:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

n-oxide would dissolve in acetone

and why do you say the coffee filter trapped the alkaloids? If the acetone ran through it, it wont have absorbed any alkaloids because they are dissolved in the acetone! The only thing that can happen is the paper absorbs a bit of the acetone, and some of that evaporates before it falls through, so this would infuse some of your filter with your goodies, but this can easily be fixed by just running some fresh acetone through the filter. This acetone will pick up whatever alkaloids where in the filter, so just put this freshly-filtered acetone together with the rest and you should be fine.

tele
#11 Posted : 12/17/2010 2:55:02 PM
Explorer

endlessness wrote:
n-oxide would dissolve in acetone

and why do you say the coffee filter trapped the alkaloids? If the acetone ran through it, it wont have absorbed any alkaloids because they are dissolved in the acetone! The only thing that can happen is the paper absorbs a bit of the acetone, and some of that evaporates before it falls through, so this would infuse some of your filter with your goodies, but this can easily be fixed by just running some fresh acetone through the filter. This acetone will pick up whatever alkaloids where in the filter, so just put this freshly-filtered acetone together with the rest and you should be fine.

Yes, I meant it trapped only some of the dmt-acetone like you said. But didn't think about pouring some more through to get the rest into the batch. Thanks for the idea. I hope in the day of blasting it will be all fine.

BTW, I would like to use 5% vinegar(for somewhat less acid mix) but I have only 10% available... Would mixing 50% water and 50% 10-vinegar be sufficient for "5% vinegar conversion"?

ThanksWink

Tordyveln
#12 Posted : 12/17/2010 3:07:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
And whem mixing up MHRB/vinegar/lime/naphtha, two plastic bowls like in the pictures of q21q21's tek.

Have you checked that the plastic doesn't dissolve in the solution? That goo you're talking about could be plastic material that has dissolved in the naphtha.
Everything I write as Tordyveln is made up. I lie all the time.

"Thanks so far for being patient, no doubt you obviously share our contempt for the 1984 Gestapo Mordor Matrix agents style gits that are fucking up our world." - Pissed off mimosa seller

tele
#13 Posted : 12/17/2010 3:16:36 PM
Explorer

Tordyveln wrote:

Quote:
And whem mixing up MHRB/vinegar/lime/naphtha, two plastic bowls like in the pictures of q21q21's tek.

Have you checked that the plastic doesn't dissolve in the solution? That goo you're talking about could be plastic material that has dissolved in the naphtha.

I will check to be sure, however I don't think it should but will see...

tele
#14 Posted : 12/17/2010 3:52:20 PM
Explorer

OK, I checked if the bowl is dissolved by naphtha by heating the naphtha in the bowl. however no residues seemed to be left when poured off to the shot glass, except for some normal house dust particles. Is there any better way to be 100% sure that the bowl doesn't dissolve in naphtha?

If there was some undissolved dust acquired in some 15 minutes, could it be that the undissolved particles in the pictures above were batch of dust?

BTW, has anyone else had any "floaters" when redissolving in acetone?

Thanks!

tele
#15 Posted : 12/17/2010 4:06:39 PM
Explorer

One idea for the "investigation": it might be some of the bowl plastic because I had stirred too vigorously and the chopstick I used weren't round at the end. I also tasted some of the "floater stuff" after it had dried in the coffee filter and it had no taste, so it might indeed have been small particles that were scraped off the bowl.

I'll try getting another bowl and will see how's the result!Smile

Swarupa
#16 Posted : 12/17/2010 4:30:03 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Please use a glass bowl next time, just not worth the risk...

I'd also recommend using a fork for this tek, chopsticks seem to make big dry balls of mud when i used them, which mean the solvent can't penetrate the inside of those balls, using a fork you can break it up into tiny little particles & run the solvent through the mix with minimal loss.

tele
#17 Posted : 12/17/2010 5:40:06 PM
Explorer

Chronic wrote:
Please use a glass bowl next time Pleased Just not worth the risk...

I'd also recommend using a fork for this tek, chopsticks seem to make big dry balls of mud when i used them, which mean the solvent can't penetrate the inside of those balls, using a fork you can break it up into tiny little particles & run the solvent through the mix with minimal loss.

Sure glass seems to be the way...

What amount of vinegar you would recommend using per gram and 5% or 10% strong vinegar?
I'm asking because it might be that the mix was too acid last time, pulling out extra oils... Used 1ml per 1gram of 10% strong vinegar. What's your recommendation?

tele
#18 Posted : 12/18/2010 3:34:58 PM
Explorer

Success: did a new mix with glass bowls and there were no residues when mixing up in acetone!

Lesson: Do not use plastic bowls for mixing(especially with this tek)!

Swarupa
#19 Posted : 12/18/2010 4:03:21 PM
DMT-Nexus member

tele wrote:
Chronic wrote:
Please use a glass bowl next time Pleased Just not worth the risk...

Sure glass seems to be the way...

What amount of vinegar you would recommend using per gram and 5% or 10% strong vinegar?
I'm asking because it might be that the mix was too acid last time, pulling out extra oils... Used 1ml per 1gram of 10% strong vinegar. What's your recommendation?

I PM'd you back but might aswell reply here aswell for the forums, i just use cheap white vinegar (undiluted) until a desired consistency with the bark is reached, it doesn't even say the % on the vinegar i get, i'd guess ~5%, vinegar is very cheap so i'm fine with using it undiluted & i've never had any undesirable plant oils make it through... maybe after the 4/5th pull & freeze precip i get the odd sticky/yellow spot on the dish, but it's literally a few specks & thats all, i just scrape it away & keep the pure white DMT Pleased