We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Stem Cell Transplant Cures HIV In 'Berlin Patient' Options

amor_fati
#1 Posted : 12/15/2010 6:48:38 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2...in-patient_n_796521.html

Holy cow.

Well I guess we've got at least a couple more shots at another "Summer of Love" until the shit really hits the fan in December 2012. It's plain to see why fundies have opposed stem cell research so rabidly over the years...must've seen this possibility on the horizon.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

benzyme
#2 Posted : 12/15/2010 4:12:37 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

"strongly suggest that cure of HIV infection has been achieved."

"While these developments by no means prove a cure for the virus has been found.."

perhaps it's just semantics, but these two statements seem to contradict each other;
technically, nothing in science is "proven" anyway, that's a catch-term used to sell you something.

a "cure" for HIV is nearly impossible, unless every infected cell is removed or destroyed.

stem-cell research is very promising as a treatment option, but i doubt, given the rapid mutation rates of gp120 and gp41, that a cure is possible.
this is also true with influenza because of the rapid mutation of HN spike proteins

"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Infundibulum
#3 Posted : 12/15/2010 4:23:54 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

benzyme wrote:

"While these developments by no means prove a cure for the virus has been found.."

perhaps it's just semantics, but these two statements seem to contradict each other

Kind-of, but they say so because they have no clue about the mechanism that led from the stem cell transplant to the HIV cure.

In any case nice find!

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

VisualDistortion
#4 Posted : 12/15/2010 5:39:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Infundibulum wrote:
benzyme wrote:

perhaps it's just semantics, but these two statements seem to contradict each other

Kind-of, but they say so because they have no clue about the mechanism that led from the stem cell transplant to the HIV cure.

In any case nice find!

Exactly what I was thinking
You lock the door, and throw away the key

There's someone in my head but it's not me

benzyme
#5 Posted : 12/15/2010 9:35:45 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

Infundibulum wrote:
benzyme wrote:

In any case nice find!

the key word here is "cure"
if the study shows that the virus was completely absent from the person, and not just dormant, then that is a cure.

the thing about retroviruses...replication occurs in the cell nucleus.
the viral RNA epitope can remain dormant in cell nuclei.

these retroviruses are about adaptive as human DNA, because of retrotransposon elements; oddly enough, the human genome is actually composed of 8% retroviral DNA.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck