We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Travel log: Harmala freebase conversion to harmala-fumarate Options

The Traveler
#1 Posted : 12/2/2010 6:59:57 PM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

This travel log is a pictorial of the conversion of harmala-freebase to harmala-fumarate.

A few weeks ago I thought that like oral DMT, oral harmalas are probably better and faster absorbed when they are converted to a salt. Since we already got this FASA tek to convert DMT freebase to DMT-fumarate I thought I would try the same with harmalas.

It's my assumption that harmala-fumarate is a salt but please correct me if this is a wrong assumption. Pleased

Up till now the only person I know who took harmala-fumarate is Enoon and as you can read in her report the harmalas she took (200mg) were probably strong and fast acting. Of course we cannot be 100% sure about that since she also took what was probably 600mics of LSD.

If you have any questions, comments or suggestion then please do that in this thread.

UPDATE!

Please see this thread.

Conclusion in that thread:
* 50ml of acetone can dissolve about 200mg of fairly clean harmala-freebase.
* endlessness was correct with questioning the statement that harmala-freebase could not be dissolved in acetone.

This means that the statement "...and the harmalas refuse to dissolve in it" is incorrect!

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

The Traveler
#2 Posted : 12/13/2010 1:57:04 PM

"No, seriously"

THE AMOUNT OF HARMALA FREEBASE (EXTRACTED FROM RUE) BEFORE CONVERSION

Amount: 0.53g harmala freebase, extracted from Syrian rue

We start with 0.53g of harmala freebase, extracted from Syrian rue

The Traveler
#3 Posted : 12/13/2010 2:03:25 PM

"No, seriously"

DISSOLVING, CONVERTING

Solvent used: Acetone

The harmalas while still being a freebase

We add the acetone...

...and the harmalas refuse to dissolve in it UPDATE: SEE STARTING POST!

Then we add the FASA (Fumaric Acid Saturated Acetone)

After stirring the solution a lot, the formerly freebase starts to turn into dark colored clumps that fall to the bottom

The Traveler
#4 Posted : 12/13/2010 2:06:58 PM

"No, seriously"

DRYING

The acetone is decanted and discarded and the sediment is dried

After scraping and chopping we have this nice, still fluffy, powder

The Traveler
#5 Posted : 12/13/2010 2:10:46 PM

"No, seriously"

WEIGHT AFTER CONVERSION

Before: 0.53g
After: 0.79g (49% increase in weight)

After the conversion the resulting harmala-fumarate weights 0.79g

NOTE: the harmala-fumarate tastes very bitter

The Traveler
#6 Posted : 12/13/2010 2:13:56 PM

"No, seriously"

TESTING IF THE HARMALA-FUMARATE IS WATER SOLUBLE

First I try a small amount in a tiny shotglass. The harmala-fumarate starts to disssolve.

After the small test I dissolve all in a glass of water, no residue is left behind, it completely dissolves in plain water.

Conclusion: I see the completely dissolving of the resulting powder, together with the added weight, as a sign that the harmala freebase is completely converted to harmala-fumarate. Again, please correct me if this assumption is wrong.

I hope you all liked this pictorial.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

muad dib
#7 Posted : 12/13/2010 2:36:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Wow, well done, Traveler! This should help a lot of people, myself included. The pictures make each step crystal clear. Thank you!

Muad'dib

DiMiTriX
#8 Posted : 12/13/2010 5:52:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

trav,have you tried to basify it again and watch what falls down? i mean..it would be lighter/purer than this brownish powder?
Tz'is aná

The Traveler
#9 Posted : 12/13/2010 7:03:44 PM

"No, seriously"

Dagger wrote:
Harmala fumarate is soluble in water, although sparringly so. If you reduce your liquid, or freeze it, then harmala fumarate should start precipitating. Harmala acetates seems to be as soluble as you want it to be.

The quickest way to turn harmala freebase into a salt imho, is to put your desired amount of harmala freebase into a shotglass, then add concentrated acetic acid (5-35%) into it, without anymore water. Start stirring it. Within about30 seconds, it should have dissolved completely. Of course, you need to know what amount of acid you need to add, so that you won't overdo it.

The 0.79g of harmala-fumarate dissolved without a problem in about 100ml of water at room temperature, I'm not sure though how much mg/ml will dissolve. And if you make harmala-acetate you can just vape away the excess vinegar I think.

I wonder if there will be any noticeable difference between these two salts.

DiMiTriX wrote:
trav,have you tried to basify it again and watch what falls down? i mean..it would be lighter/purer than this brownish powder?

I did not try to basify again. If you compare the color of the harmala freebase with the harmala-fumarate then you can see that the harmala-fumarates are a little bit darker compared to the harmala freebase.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

Apoc
#10 Posted : 12/13/2010 7:07:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for that, burnt. Fascinating the recent forward steps in the harmala world. Perhaps it was partly inspired by the flowingvisions controversy.

Dagger wrote:
Of course, you need to know what amount of acid you need to add, so that you won't overdo it.

Does something bad happen if too much acid is added?

Just wondering, does anyone know if freebase harmalas degrade like freebase dmt? Does harmine become harmine oxide or something over time?

Enoon
#11 Posted : 12/13/2010 8:39:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Harm reduction, Analytical thinking

I made fumarates like this then evaporated the liquid in a double boiler. The fumarates kind of caramelised into this really dark red stuff that was not so easily soluble in water afterwards.
I tried 200mg of it even without dissolving it completely in a shot glass. It was pretty active... very sedative after about 40 min. I can't really say more because I mixed it with acid, so after 1 hour there was a mix of substances... Anyway, even the caramelised stuff works.

cheers, and thanks for the pics!!
Buon viso a cattivo gioco!
---
The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook - A handbook for the safe and responsible use of entheogens.
---
mushroom-grow-help ::: energy conserving caapi extraction

Enoon
#12 Posted : 12/21/2010 6:15:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

ok, so I tried to convert my caapi fb alks, that I had extracted via the gibran1 tek using FASA as Trav suggests but they refused to react, refused to dissolve or do anything. It was like stirring sand in water.

so I decanted and let evaporate. tested the brown powder to see if it would dissolve in water, and no it would not. so I still had fb alks.
Then I suspended them in water and began adding fumaric acid saturated water. Still nothing. Finally I threw my hands in the air and poured the mixture into a pot and heated. Now the magic began to happen. It looked really interesting, as white organism like webs seemed to form around the clumps of brown harmala stuff, and began eating it away. Finally it all dissolved except for some impurities that seemed to have been left in my extract.

I filtered and let the water evap in a double boiler and got a brown crystally powder (see attachment). I washed this with acetone to get rid of the excess fumaric acid. Weight seems about right - from 0.5g to 0.6g.
My conclusion is, heat might help... perhaps hot acetone would have done the job as well? dunno why the acetone didn't do it in the first place, it worked perfectly with rue extract...

Gonna try 80mg tonight Very happy

love
Enoon
---
The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook - A handbook for the safe and responsible use of entheogens.
---

Enoon
#13 Posted : 12/21/2010 6:17:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

ok, so I tried to convert my caapi fb alks, that I had extracted via the gibran1 tek using FASA as Trav suggests but they refused to react, refused to dissolve or do anything. It was like stirring sand in water.

so I decanted and let evaporate. tested the brown powder to see if it would dissolve in water, and no it would not. so I still had fb alks.
Then I suspended them in water and began adding fumaric acid saturated water. Still nothing. Finally I threw my hands in the air and poured the mixture into a pot and heated. Now the magic began to happen. It looked really interesting, as white organism like webs seemed to form around the clumps of brown harmala stuff, and began eating it away. Finally it all dissolved except for some impurities that seemed to have been left in my extract.

I filtered and let the water evap in a double boiler and got a brown crystally powder (see attachment). I washed this with acetone to get rid of the excess fumaric acid. Weight seems about right - from 0.5g to 0.6g (scale was not terribly exact and I did have some loss due to impurities).
My conclusion is, heat might help... perhaps hot acetone would have done the job as well? dunno why the acetone didn't do it in the first place, it worked perfectly with rue extract...

Gonna try 80mg tonight Very happy

love
Enoon
Enoon attached the following image(s):
BCfumar.png (868kb) downloaded 342 time(s).
---
---