We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
should i grow a flat seed crystal? Options

olympus mon
#1 Posted : 12/8/2010 8:54:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Tattooist specialized in indigenous art, Fine art, medium ink and pen.

last night i started my first crystal attempts. im doing 2 separate samples. both with 350- 500 mg of spice dissolved into about 1.5 oz. of room temp naphtha.

sample-A, i gradually introduced the dmt but it wouldnt absorb completely even with mins of stirring so i placed the small jar in a hot tap water bath (mini-double boiler style) as soon as the dmt was fully absorbed i took it out of the warm water. i then let it drop to room temp.

once at room temp i placed the flattest mini dmt Crystal from my initial extraction into the jar and swirled the liquid into a whirlpool. as the vortex slows it perfect;y places the seed crystal in the exact center of the jar. this sample is being kept perfectly still in a cool dark closet. i used plastic wrap with just a small corner left open for evaporation.
sample-A will be a very slow room temp left alone evap. im thinking 3-4 weeks.

sample-B, was prepped the same way. only thing different is i used 500mg in 1.5 oz shotglass. this sample i want to try the in-out refrigerator method and grow a cluster of spears. as a seed crystal for this one i poured about 50mg more dmt into the glass and swirled the liquid into a whirlpool. as the vortex slows it perfect;y piles the 50mg into a nice little cone in the center of the glass. again i used plastic wrap to cover and poked 5 holes with a pencil for evaporation.

will the sample A method grow a flat crystal? im thinking it wont. although the seeded crystal looked flat im guessing its a spear and the rest of the crystallization will just follow suit.

how do i make a flat seed crystal? does my 2 different attempts sound ok?
I am not gonna lie, shits gonna get weird!
Troubles Breaking Through? Click here.
The Art of Changa. making the perfect blend.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

MelCat
#2 Posted : 12/8/2010 9:11:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

In my experience with crystal growing, you never really know what you're going to get until it starts/finishes doing it's thing.

Your methods seem like they are on point, so I doubt you'll have any issues.

As far as the flat crystals go, I would think it would depend on surface area.

Less liquid + more surface area would = flatter crystals.

I usually do my crystal growing in shot glasses and have come up with a couple of different kinds, but mostly pointy, sea urchin looking crystals.

I'll be sure to take some pics the next time I re-x.

Good luck with your experiments!
Convert a melodic element into a rhythmic element...

olympus mon
#3 Posted : 12/9/2010 12:48:44 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Tattooist specialized in indigenous art, Fine art, medium ink and pen.

thanks melodic thats helpful. im trying to understand the process so please bare with my questions.

id like to know more about the rate of evaporation and its effects on the growth.
example, if i completely seal the jar allowing no evap will crystals still grow? will they grow at a slower rate than allowing evaporation simultaneously?

will either of the above methods in my op grow larger crystals than the other?

MelCat
#4 Posted : 12/9/2010 1:37:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I apologize, but I'm not sure about the rates of growth.

Hopefully someone with more re-x experience can chime in.

I've done maybe 4 re-x's so I'm definitely not the authority.

The re-x that gave me the best results was when I re-x'd a 1g of mostly white crystals in a 120ml pyrex measuring glass. (not tapered or with a handle, just a basic glass with measurements on the side)

I dissolved the spice in the glass of around 40ml of warm bestine.

Once everything was dissolved I put a piece of saran wrap over the top and poked a few holes with a bamboo skewer.

I'd say after the 2nd day I had beautiful crystal formations (the sea urchin ones I mentioned previously).

Once the crystals were formed, I removed the saran wrap and let it evap in a cupboard over a period of 5 days.

From what I could tell, the crystals hadn't gotten any bigger after the 2nd or 3rd day.

It took about a week from start to finish to evap everything.

I'm not positive, but I think that some evaporation needs to take place to get the crystals to start forming but I could be mistaken.

Maybe go ahead and seal the first sample so no more evaporation can take place and let it sit for the intended 3-4 weeks to see if you notice any changes.

I really want to learn how to grow solid crystals like these infamous badboys.
MelCat attached the following image(s):
dmt_crystal1.jpg (58kb) downloaded 190 time(s).
Convert a melodic element into a rhythmic element...

justine
#5 Posted : 12/9/2010 1:52:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

These beauties were probably grown using pure synthetic dmt, I guess you would first need to purify your dmt until it's translucent to be able to grow such crystals.
To see the world in a grain of sand, and to see heaven in a wild flower, hold infinity in the palm of your hands, and eternity in an hour.
- William Blake

olympus mon
#6 Posted : 12/9/2010 3:45:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

yea those are so beautiful! ive seen those and wondered how the hell they grew that! ive also heard that that is synthetic but who knows.

i wish i could find some flat crystal pics. they're pretty rare finds.

Tangarine_Dreams
#7 Posted : 12/9/2010 6:28:43 AM

DMT-Nexus member

heptane is great to quickly rex out tiny pureish crystals, but you will never get big solid growths. iirc labs use string, but more traditionally and jsut as effectively, hair.

you do a normal freeze precip with a long hair hanging to the center of the jar. you should get atleast a small bit on the end. if not, lower the hair closer to the bottom. this is your seed crystal. suspend this in a good amount of saturated naphtha. you need to clean your spice first tho. and dry not to use heat. you will generate oxide. the best solvent is one which evaps slow. ive seen massive ones from xylol but its not worth the effort. nice ones from naphtha. killer ones from hexane and odorless spirits.

as per the jar choice, just a glass as similar to a graduated cylinder as you can. tall shotglass, small vase, champagne flute.

heptane blows for this because 95% of your dmt falls out once it gets to room temp. UNLESS you use tons of it and dont use heat. if you do this it can be used but you will get multiple xtals because of the quicker evap rate. ive watched, under a 40x scope, a 4mm crystal grow in the center of a dish of warm heptane as it cooled. arms of crystals started initialy outward from a point of bent light in the center, then they grew at the outer edge/ moving inward like along a chain, systematically picking up bits as it grew inward. maybe 6 of these streams met at the seed that at formed in the middle. the streams were tree branch style fractals. this was soo animated. i would assume all of the solvent was like this but i could only see it once it grew large enough.