We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Lazyman Tek Advice Options

cantcatchme939
#1 Posted : 12/7/2010 2:13:49 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Hey guys, I've been lurking on these forums for a while and have finally decided to do my first extraction. SWIM want to try lazyman's tek, specifically his extended soak method, but has a few questions. Here is the quote from his tek for those unfamiliar:

Quote:
Extraction advice; soak longer, extract more with less work:

Instead of all of the multiple extractions one after the other you could save yourself some work by just throwing 500 grams of broken pieces of root bark into 2 liters of water with 200 grams of NaOH dissolved into the water and then pour in 750 ml of naphtha and set the whole container aside for three days, stirring just once a day for 20 minutes at a time. After three days the solvent from a single draw of the aqueous mix should contain far more alkaloid, maybe has high as two thirds the total amount pulled out in four separate draws done over 24 hours. Obviously, even after letting the mix sit for three days and a very successful first big pull of the alkaloid from the mix you will need to re-extract the aqueous solution with more naphtha at least three times to get the bulk of the alkaloid out but then you could probably still continue extracting the mix a half dozen times or more and still get more of the alkaloid out each time, although ever diminishing returns. You just have to decide how much you want to get out of the mix before considering it a waste of time or solvent to continue working at it.

SWIM plans on following this pretty precisely as far as stirring every day for 20 mins for 3 days but has some questions:

1. SWIM is going to put 500g MHRB in large pot, add in a mixture of 2L water and 200g NaOH. At the same time should he add the 750mL of naptha or should he let the mixture soak first like the regular steps of this tek?

2. Is a large metal pot adequate? It says ceramic but SWIM don't have one available. This pot is silver colored metal not a normal black pot.

3. Would distilled water be more beneficial or does it not matter?

4. For additional pulls how much naptha should SWIM use? (guessing 400mL)

5. Would it create more pure crystals if SWIM froze with all the naptha or evaporated some?

Thanks for the help.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

endlessness
#2 Posted : 12/7/2010 11:22:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

1- It might be too little water and your whole soup might be too thick (and the naphtha might not come up because of it). I would say use twice that amount of water, or at least 3l. If still for some reason the layers wont separate (emulsion), throw in more NaOH, plenty more. Check the FAQ for tips on eliminatig emulsions if it happens. Also you're using waaaaaaaaaaaay too much naphtha per pull. Check answer to question 4.

2- depends what metal. Do not use it if its alluminium. You can look on the internet "chemical resistance chart" and other keywords such as NaOH Stainless Steel Naphtha,, etc.. A lot of the information says stainless steel can be ok but I would avoid it. Better use HDPE plastic or strong glass. Please remember to add NaOH slowly and stir well while you're doing it to prevent sudden change of temperature (which could crack a glass in case you're using it)

3-doesnt matter

4- Use less naphtha in all pulls! Otherwise your solvent wont be saturated enough to freeze precipitate and your yield will be small (unless you pre-evaporate a lot of it, and in this case you'll be wasting a lot of naphtha). Check the FAQ for numbers:
https://wiki.dmt-nexus.m...orate_before_freezing.3F

5- Freezing is better than evaporation for purity, but if you mean whether freezing or freezing+preevap are better, then its not really about purity of crystals but about saturation of solvent. Check the FAQ link above for recommended numbers.

good luck

cantcatchme939
#3 Posted : 12/7/2010 10:03:37 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Thank you very much. So for a solution of 500mg MHRB, 3-4L water, 250g lye, and ~200mL naptha, how long should I leave the naptha in per pull?

endlessness
#4 Posted : 12/7/2010 10:11:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I dont think it has ever been measured but I would suspect that most of the dmt will migrate to the naphtha pull in the first mix, therefore waiting for long might not be necessary. In any case I would say its not a bad idea to make a few cycles of stir/let separate before pulling out. So if one is doing a pull every hour it could be ok.

For this quantity of naphtha, I would suggest doing 6 pulls, and the last two leaving for longer/making more cycles of mixing (like over a day or two if you arent in a rush)

In any case dont throw the bark away before you have your final yield

cantcatchme939
#5 Posted : 12/7/2010 11:12:33 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Appreciate the tips endless, the bark will be powdered as well so I imagine the naptha doesn't need to be left in for very long either. After a little bit more research I think I have my final method:

1. Put powdered MHRB in pot, add in solution of 3.5L water and 250g lye, and stir a little.
2. Add250mL naptha, stir for 20mins, and let layers separate out.
3. Extract naptha into jar, freeze for like 24hrs or until naptha is clear and crystals are hard.
4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 about 4 times, letting naptha sit ~15mins longer each pull.

Post #8 at http://www.entheogen.com...um/showthread.php?t=9217 has some good advice concerning powdered root bark that i adopted.

Any way to improve this method? I want this to be perfect haha, I'm sure you understand.

Oh, and how much will the naptha smell using such small amounts and skipping evap?

Madcap
#6 Posted : 12/8/2010 2:05:46 AM

illudium Q-36

Please do not think that I coming in here throwing negative mojo around. what I have to say is mainly in jest. I did the lazyman as my own first tek (hypothetically and much to my dismay)

If I were a fan on censorship, I would most certainly be a staunch proponent of removing the lazyman tek from the internet. But alas, it remains...beaconing lusty eyed noobs (such as myself) with its promises of no-muss no fuss no grind up your bark, etc etc.

In the end... that tek as is, requires so many tweaks and outright changes that by the time you have something workable.... you could have just read a better tek.

There is nothing more that can be said. As I have said it all. Just search "lazyman" with "madcap" in the poster field.

In fact, I started a thread just to make it even more clear a while ago. It is here : advice

All posts written by Madcap should be regarded as fiction.

cantcatchme939
#7 Posted : 12/8/2010 2:36:35 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks madcap, but I need to be as sneaky and quick as possible with this extraction and the layman tek seems be the best candidate for that. Also I have most of these materials available. I originally planned on the marsofold tek but then I would have needed to buy too many extra things. If this extraction doesn't go well I'll make sure to find a better one next time.

Noman
#8 Posted : 12/8/2010 3:20:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Well I'll say it - the lazyman tek sucks.

Madcap
#9 Posted : 12/8/2010 5:04:57 AM

illudium Q-36

Here is the list of materials for Lazyman Tek:

Quote:

Equipment
5 L ceramic mixing bowl (bad idea)
Potato masher (to slosh around your caustic liquid....thats in the huge bowl)
2000 mL measuring cup (good)
Large flat glass baking pan (good)
Fan (good)
VM&P Naphtha; (good enough)
NaOH (good)

Seriously.... a big BOWL!!! That is insane. Can you think of a more difficult vessel? How bout a swimming pool? The layer of solvent is sooo thin when stretched out over a 5Liter bowl. Although no that I am typing this.... anytime I have a dangerous liquid, I like to put it in a humungous tippy bowl that couldn't possibly have a lid.

You will end up transfering the mixture to a better suited container. Why not just start in a better container, like a HDPE water jug (like the one your distilled water will come in)

He should at least have mentioned vinegar to counter act the inevitable caustic splash... and if you are buying vinegar... you could be putting the BLAB to that purple pinkness.

I am sure the lazyman tek is just a devious big joke by an evil man who has somehow figured out a way to profit from the mental suffering and anguish of would-be tryptamine enthusiasts.
All posts written by Madcap should be regarded as fiction.