We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
123NEXT»
~Phalaris = The Way Of The Future~ Options

D_Juggz
#1 Posted : 11/5/2010 7:05:33 AM

Dr Do Little

Hello Fellow Nexians & tryptamine enthusiasts:
Phalaris is a genus of grasses. Various species of Phalaris grow on every continent except Antarctica. They can be found in a broad range of habitats from below sea level to thousands of feet above sea level and from wet marshy areas to dry places. P. arundinacea and P. aquatica are sometimes invasive species in wetlands, whereas the Portuguese, Phalaris brachystachys is an annual grass with growth habits and cultural requirements similar to Phalaris aquatica. It grows most actively during the spring and fall, while resting during the heat of midsummer and the short cool days of winter.

P.brachystachys (wildtype):

Reported DMT content: ~1-3%
This, to me looks like the most promising of all the DMT-containing Phalaris species. I have found that if you give it a decent amount of nutrients, without giving it root burn, it will grow much faster in full sun, as long as you keep the soil wet, I suggest auto-irrigation. A good method is to buy seeds online, then germinate them in a Styrofoam box with a little bit of potting soil. Once they germinate, you can carefully transfer the seedlings to your garden or hydroponic patch.
It took mine about half a year to reach reasonable harvest maturity, but when kept healthy you can virtually harvest a new batch every week.(Depending on climate and amount of sun, ofcourse)

So once the plants start to mature, their leaves grow incredibly quick, be careful when you put these in the ground, they can get out of control very quickly and invade into the local habitat. ;-D
From a weeks regrowth i was able to fill a pint-balljar with fresh leaf, and some vinegar+methylated spirits (ethyanol) and got this amount of DMT from the extaction. (Weights coming soon)

I figured out one day, that if you replaced a small urban backyard's grass with phalaris, you would technically have enough regrowth to extract 10g of dmt per week. O_o Why isn't anyone growing this??

Phalaris arundinacea 'Big Medicine' Plant:
From the Entheogen Review Vol. XI 2002:-
This is my newest release that I have been working on for the last few years. I call it "Big Medicine". This is a tall fast-growing Phalaris species which contains DMT. It has been selected to be spread by root cuttings, and thus bypasses the genetic rearrangement which would result from relaying seed dissemination.

Phalaris arundinacea 'Turkey Red' Plant:
From the Entheogen Review Vol. XI 2002:-
My old, "Turkey red," was selected to produce 5-MeO-DMT because this is the alkaloid that I personally prefer for my own work and the work I do with groups around the country. I feel 5-MeO-DMT most closely mimics the natural enlightenment state of a fully functioning pineal-gland. It does not distract one with visuals, but open one's energy field and dissolves the energetic barriers between people. By taking about 75mg of the "Turkey red" extract - equivalent to about 7.5mg of 5-MeO-DMT - potentiated with a RIMA such as Syrian Rue, one can experience much healing, and in the right group, a unification of consciousness within the group. I believe this medicine has a role to play in the next stage of evolution, which must involve some form of group consciousness.
There are about five other alkaloids in Turkey red aswell. I do not know what most of them are. I have tried to experiment of separating out just the 5-MeO-DMT and taking that orally with a MAOI, and I do get and effect, comparable to that of chemically produced pharmahuasca from synthesised 5-MeO-DMT. However, It does not have the magical shamanic effect I like to use for my group use. I have about a thousand TLC plates of my tests, each with its own unique and different alkaloid mixture. This could keep graduate students busy for years elucidating the unique healing properties of these mixtures

Some other notes on Phalaris:
Essentially one could plant a 1000 seedlings and germinate, Then do a thin layer chromatography (TLC) on them to determine their alkaloid profile. It has been found the most seed sources produce quite varied profiles within the seed source, suggesting that the genetic determination of alkaloid production was not uniform within the population.

Once a clean, relatively reliable source has been established and spread around, it is then possible to use a weatgrass juicer, to gain the dmt fluid from the grass. No need to have do an extraction. With a pre-dose of MAOI, and the right strain of P.brachy you could just take a teaspoon and stay in hyperspace for a few hours.

Phalaris alkaloids increase significantly when stressed with wind, cold, heat, sunlight, darkness, nutrients (nitrogen), etc, also the plant alkaloids tripple at sunset and sunrise, therefore it is essential to harvest at these times.

Also, if any of our lovely lab-friends had the means we could look into the biochemical pathways of how the DMT is produced in these plants, and see if it is possible to genetically manipulate those bottle necks which contol the production of DMT in Phalaris.

to be continued.
The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.
-Confucius

"Under the skin of our lives; somewhere deep and early, forgotten, we all share the same dreams"

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Dark Matter
#2 Posted : 11/5/2010 8:08:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Wil definitely follow this closely.

Supposing I have very little skills in gardening, but am willing to learn if needed, is there a way to make this grow inside? (would be willing to pay for equipement) Winter is coming and there is no way I could grow this outside at the moment.

"The joy of life consists in the exercise of one's energies, continual growth, constant change, the enjoyment of every new experience. To stop means simply to die. The eternal mistake of mankind is to set up an attainable ideal." - Aleister Crowley

Dark Matter is merely a byproduct of the Mind's imagination. Everything written on this board in his name is pure fiction. He is nothing more than an Illusion. Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

vovin
#3 Posted : 11/5/2010 9:06:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Prototype and Design Engineer amongst other things, Craftsman

If I am not mistaken and this comes from memory of a long time ago I think philaris has 5MEO DMT in it which is quite a bot different than regular NNDMT. I don't know if it contains NNDMT as well or not or if there is a way of separating the two.
If you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing.

DiMiTriX
#4 Posted : 11/5/2010 9:27:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

few things..:it seems impossible to swim phalaris brachistachya contains such a lot of dmt (1-3%) it would be maximum 0.1-0.3 swim thinks. Swim grew aquatica AQ1 few years ago that's the strain containing the most quantities of alkaloids. it would be 5-meo anyway with a bit of bufo if swim doesn't remember wrong. another thing,it seems to swim your extract have maybe lye residue or something around the bottom of the jar but dunno.. how much leaves did you use to extract that?
Tz'is aná

biopsylo
#5 Posted : 11/5/2010 3:15:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

have you tried(smoking) any of it?

Observant
#6 Posted : 11/5/2010 5:23:09 PM

Nothing Stops The Void

Nice phalaris patch djuggz. I am an avid Big Medicine Grower and Brachystachys hunter.
Please give these crystals a try ... were still waiting for Jorkests Bioassay Pleased
Had he more quickly realized just who they were,he would have shown them more respect.Had he tried harder to fathom their brilliant minds,he would have taken more of their teachings to heart.Had he more clearly understood the purpose of their being,
he would have more vigorously tried to assist them.They were truly honorable; he was sadly prejudiced.
They were exceedingly well informed; he was grossly ignorant.They were totally indefatigable; he so often, and so quickly,gave up. Still, for many years there was a strong inter-species alliance between the Eleven-Eleven of the Half-way Realm, their Seraphic Associates,and their flesh-and-blood friend, a common mortal. Much was accomplished, many profited, and, there’s only one regret...They could have achieved so much more...

All Hypnotizing Hypnotizes Hypnotizing

DiMiTriX
#7 Posted : 11/5/2010 5:42:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

ok swim will asks to samorini,the guy that did this research on phalaris spp if this 3% is true and how he obtain that.
Tz'is aná

jamie
#8 Posted : 11/6/2010 1:39:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

trust me..I have grown it indoors and outdoors, stressed it, picked it wild, extracted and smoked it..even chewed a quid of the stuff while peaking on ayahuasca once..the full spectrum extractions at least are undesirable..there is gramine and hordenine to deal with..aside from the other complications of 5meo and bufotenine and all these other weird beta-carbolines..

hordenine is a phen and some claim it is empathic..its def a stimulant anyway as far as I can tell from my reading..when i smoked my extract i got minor tryptamine effects..then a very unpleasnt stimulation that lasted for about 3 hours..it made me uncomfortable the whole time..felt like mdma sort of for the first 10-15 minutes but after that whatever that alkaloid or mixture of them is that hits after the tryptamine is I dont like at all. Until I can seperate only the DMT and 5meo im staying away..I have unlimited ammounts growing all over anyway so its not like its going away, plus a freezer of the stuff..

I have lots of mimosa and I love it so im in no hurry to smoke that orange oily oxide lookign grass goo againConfused..the though of pacing around for 3 hours like that again is enough to put me off of anything less than the meo and DMT in isolation.
Long live the unwoke.

TheReadyAwakening
#9 Posted : 11/6/2010 6:45:29 PM

Jimmy

fractal enchantment wrote:
I have lots of mimosa and I love it so im in no hurry to smoke that orange oily oxide lookign grass goo againConfused..the though of pacing around for 3 hours like that again is enough to put me off of anything less than the meo and DMT in isolation.

Sorry to say, but it most likely won't be available to us for much longer. It's prime time to start trying to figure out native alternatives.

I personally, am eager to see the results, and hopefully have a native source for some precious N,N.
“Ego is a structure that is erected by a neurotic individual who is a member of a neurotic culture against the facts of the matter. And culture, which we put on like an overcoat, is the collectivized consensus about what sort of neurotic behaviors are acceptable.” - Terence McKenna

alzabo
#10 Posted : 11/6/2010 9:29:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

D_Juggz wrote:

Some other notes on Phalaris:
Essentially one could plant a 1000 seedlings and germinate, Then do a thin layer chromatography (TLC) on them to determine their alkaloid profile. It has been found the most seed sources produce quite varied profiles within the seed source, suggesting that the genetic determination of alkaloid production was not uniform within the population.

Any ideas how to efficiently TLC ~1000 samples?

How much dry/wet weight of grass must be grown from each seed before a sample could be harvested for analysis? How long does it take to grow that amount dry/wet weight?

Also, this is a nice introduction to the Dragendorff Reagent;
The Home Scientist 022 - Testing for Alkaloids with Dragendorff Reagent
These aren't the droids you're looking for.

D_Juggz
#11 Posted : 11/7/2010 11:06:09 AM

Dr Do Little

Alzabo, here is a picture from the endogenous review which explains the TLC process. Hope it helps.

To be honest guys, i've been to busy being a hermit this year to look after my patch, i've managed to kill all my plants, however i have given a few seeds to a friend to plant, he should have a testable sample my the end of the dec. holidays. I'll get back with results then.
Everyone else should hassle Benzymne to do the lab testing on the Brachy strains so this age old dispute can be settled once and for all!

<3
DJ
The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.
-Confucius

"Under the skin of our lives; somewhere deep and early, forgotten, we all share the same dreams"

alzabo
#12 Posted : 11/7/2010 10:31:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I found some related resources.

The genus Phalaris
Some points of interest and some points of confusion

Code:
Part    % total alkaloid    by dry weight.
         Greenhouse    Field
Leaf tip        0.29    0.27
Blade base      0.23    0.26
Leaf sheaths    0.07    0.10
Stem            0.04    0.11

Thanks for the page on TLC, D_Juggz.
These aren't the droids you're looking for.

Virola78
#13 Posted : 11/27/2010 7:57:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

If you grow the grass in bulk then it could make sense to select the grass that contains the smallest % unwanted alkaloids/molecules. Which of the dmt containing grasses contains the least unwanted molecules?

If one grows bulk there is no need to stress or regulate time of harvest. Also the % of dmt would not be very important. One would have enough to compensate anyway. One could even pick only the tips if this is desired. Also bulk as a nice average would favor further experiments that are needed for cleaning, comparison, fine tuning etc.

Loss of yield as a result of selected techniques/chemicals for extraction/purification would not matter, because there would be LOTS of the stuff. This would allow use of very rough big scale or otherwise 'out of the box' alternative separation techniques perhaps.

“The most important thing in illness is never to lose heart.” -Nikolai Lenin

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Phantastica
#14 Posted : 12/1/2010 9:30:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

make sure to update us when you bioassay those crystalsSmile
<3

Bancopuma
#15 Posted : 12/2/2010 2:26:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

From a little reading around a while back, it seemed to me that Phalaris brachystachys was one of the more reliable species, with the cleanest alkaloid profile, with very little nasties and high concentrations of DMT observed with 5-MeO-DMT occasionally present.

Quote:
Phalaris brachystachys

An extremely strong occurrence of DMT was reported, using HPLC, in material from Portugal. DMT was the sole alkaloid. Festi & Samorini 1994b

Strongly positive human bioassays have been reported using clones originating from both Algeria and Greece. DeKorne 1997.

30 grams of fresh foliage was reported to be too much by EH, MA (1997 Entheogen Review page 15)

Appleseed's assays detected 5-MeO-DMT in several strains obtained from the USDA GRIN; including P.I. 202676 & P.I. 231044 Greece. (The latter was found to be a spreading form with good biomass production.)

Phalaris canariensis may be another species in dire need of more research, apparently being a generous seed producing cultivar of P. brachystachys

Phalaris canariensis

Individuals containing a uniform distribution of DMT among their offspring have been identified and selected for cultivation [from PI#415822].

A similar undertaking was performed for a high 5-MeO-DMT producing strain [from PI#167261].

Both should become commercially available within the near future. Both tested solidly and appear as good or better than the P. brachystachys strains that were also tested. Both showed a clean profile with only one alkaloid present

November 1999 update: While this was true of the USDA seed grown material and held true early in the field trials, after being grown out for for several successive seed crops, both of the strains in question began to also show the presence of other alkaloids. Further seed production efforts were placed on hold until an understanding of this can be reached.

http://www.erowid.org/li...2_phalaris_strains.shtml

jamie
#16 Posted : 6/27/2011 9:21:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

wow juggz, you posted the first picture I have EVER seen of crystals from a phalaris extraction! I think when I viewed this thread before I did not see the pictures.. The closest I got was oxide looking goo that was somewhat active. Did you test those crystals??
Long live the unwoke.

Wax
#17 Posted : 6/27/2011 10:07:00 PM

LUVR

^^^ yes do tell, did you test this? can you elaborate on the tek?
'Little spider weaves a wispy web, stumblin' through the woods it catches to my head. She crawls behind my ear and whispers secrets. Dragonfly whiz by and sings now teach it.'

Virola78
#18 Posted : 6/27/2011 10:15:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

What?! Is it already here?
Why didnt i remember this thread when other threads about phalaris and TLC hit the boards?

So juggz, are you still here?
Are you the guy that makes dmt avaiable forever for everyone, whatever anyone else thinks or wants?
Razz

“The most important thing in illness is never to lose heart.” -Nikolai Lenin

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

benzyme
#19 Posted : 6/27/2011 10:57:21 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

Quote:

An extremely strong occurrence of DMT was reported, using HPLC, in material from Portugal. DMT was the sole alkaloid. Festi & Samorini 1994b

just wanted to mention a couple things...
HPLC is not a method of analysis, it's a method of separation, which is usually coupled to a UV-Vis absorbance spec or mass spec (these are methods of analysis).

I was able to analyze one of jorkest's samples, and one of my own, last fall. the strain was from the same supplier, LC/MS was used for separation/analysis. The spectra showed 90% relative intensity for 188 m/z (DMT), and 10% for 174 m/z (gramine). there were no other significant peaks.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

jamie
#20 Posted : 6/28/2011 12:51:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

^ was that brachy benzyme you analyzed?..and so there was no peak for hordenine?..in theory all we need to do then is find a tek that eliminated the gramine from the equation.
Long live the unwoke.

123NEXT»