We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Article on Scientificamerican.com Options

DMTripper
#1 Posted : 11/25/2010 3:55:16 PM

John Murdoch IV

Is it just me, or are these articles popping up more frequently in the science world these days?

http://www.scientificame...to-spiritual-realization
––––––

DMTripper is a fictional character therefore everything he says here must be fiction.
I mean, who really believes there is such a place as Hyperspace!!

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

actualfactual
#2 Posted : 11/25/2010 4:59:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This article put a huge smile on my face!

Quote:
...I realized the light was getting brighter and brighter and strangely brighter, until I understood that this light was not in the room, it was inside me. At that moment, it was as if all the cylinders in the lock somehow fell into alignment, the door swung open, and I found my consciousness being flooded with brilliant Light. Without notice or fanfare I had arrived at a transcendental state, and was awestruck at the discovery. I felt a sense of joyous expansion as it opened fully to me, like entering a splendid palace, yet the feeling was completely natural and gentle.

#3 Posted : 11/25/2010 5:29:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Interesting stuff as it is SA! Some good comments beneath the article as well, worth a read.
Oh great - the world has just been replaced by elf machinery.
Sic transit gloria mundi

Apoc
#4 Posted : 11/26/2010 4:27:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

excellent article, and great report. Some of the people writing comments didn't seem to appreciate the article, claiming such an article had no place in a scientific journal. I guess they thought it was too "spiritual". They do not see that the objective of such a study is probably not what they are used to. It was a study on consciousness, medicine, and spirituality. And it is not the final study. There will be more to come.

benzyme
#5 Posted : 11/26/2010 6:24:18 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

DMTripper wrote:
Is it just me, or are these articles popping up more frequently in the science world these days?

it's not you..

it's in vogue to write articles about psych studies these days; has been increasingly more popular over the past decade. it's like a renewed interest in the matter, since the pioneering 1950's clinical studies.

unfortunately, the spiritual element is one that is ultimately subjective by definition;
i'm not sure science will ever show tangible evidence for something so intangible.
science can only verify the measurable.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

#6 Posted : 11/26/2010 8:55:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

^^ true, but it is also about recording what we observe. Many people have had experiences such as this and at present they are largly written off as crazy by science. If there will ever be any progress towards explaining them, then surely writing about it in a way that doesn't assume it isnt only hallucination etc is a start?
Oh great - the world has just been replaced by elf machinery.
Sic transit gloria mundi

Swarupa
#7 Posted : 11/26/2010 2:47:04 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Science can only propose theories about the relationship between spirit/form, because as you say it can only empirically verify the measurable, spirit/infinity always lies behind/beyond the observer therefore is not measurable by the observer.

We can propose theories that observation is formless, but only the direct ubjective experience of formless awareness is the proof, which is very good in my opinion, to know it you must become it.

DMTripper
#8 Posted : 11/26/2010 5:55:06 PM

John Murdoch IV

Science just cant grasp spirituality. They're bound to the laws of physics and matter.
––––––

DMTripper is a fictional character therefore everything he says here must be fiction.

actualfactual
#9 Posted : 11/26/2010 7:16:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

DMTripper wrote:
Science just cant grasp spirituality. They're bound to the laws of physics and matter.

I'm guessing one day they will coincide.

CERN is already talking about possible proof of extra dimensions by next year

My idea of spirituality at least (we are all one single life force that is interconnected) is factually true from my experience, I don't see why one day science couldn't be advanced enough to prove it.

DMTripper
#10 Posted : 11/26/2010 9:21:15 PM

John Murdoch IV

aloneits wrote:
DMTripper wrote:

I'm guessing one day they will coincide.

CERN is already talking about possible proof of extra dimensions by next year

My idea of spirituality at least (we are all one single life force that is interconnected) is factually true from my experience, I don't see why one day science couldn't be advanced enough to prove it.

Yeah sure. But ofcourse I'm talking about science today.
Todays spiritualism tomorrows science Smile
––––––

benzyme
#11 Posted : 11/26/2010 9:22:57 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

DMTripper wrote:

that is the tangible element I speak of. there's no measure of spirituality, it's purely subjective. the only thing we can measure is transitional states of energy.
spirituality is just a personal thing, really has little utility in science; but it's obviously important to a lot of people, gives them some sense of purpose, i guess.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck