We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Vacuum Chamber to aid in evaporation Options

landfishd
#1 Posted : 11/21/2010 5:29:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

OK so I've got my first DMT extraction in the freezer and I'm about to poor out the naptha to collect my beautiful crystals. Such a proud moment!! Anyways I was wondering, has anyone put there crystals in a vacuum chamber to dry them? How did that work out? I can't imagine it being bad, but it may heat up the naptha or do something weird that I'm not thinking of. Any opinions on the matter?

THanks

edit: I found that someone here mentioned this but he said you had to fill a chamber with nitrogen to push the oxygen out... I just have a regular vacuum pump + chamber that I use to boil off butane in my BHO extractions. It is just a chamber with no air in it I can only imagine this being a good thing so no DMT N-Oxide will form during drying, but I'm not a 100% and I don't want to fuck up my prized crystals by somehow melting them in the chamber. I guess I can always just try a little at first and figure it out myself If I had to.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

benzyme
#2 Posted : 11/21/2010 6:51:03 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

oh man..please be careful when evacuating flammables; motor brushes from vacuum pumps can cause sparks.

but yea, SWIM has evaporated solvent in a vac desiccator. a rotavapor is much better at doing this.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

vovin
#3 Posted : 11/21/2010 7:14:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Prototype and Design Engineer amongst other things, Craftsman

I have a vacuum chamber I use for metal casting I have been hesitant to use it for solvents as it can supersaturate the air with flammable gas and as he said motors create sparks. Just be sure you have a lot of ventilation and even them I wouldn't use it myself. You don't want to explain why you burned your home down.
If you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing.

landfishd
#4 Posted : 11/21/2010 7:34:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I was very wary about that issue the first time I put some unpurged BHO in that thing but since then I've done it dozens of times and I think the amount of solvents that are in whatever I'm trying to purge is pretty minimal so it's not a problem. Though I agree it would be so horrible to burn down a house from making extracts. I wish I had a vacuum filter, and for my next extraction I definitely will. That seems like the best way to get most of the moisture out.

A rotavapor would be sweet but that's a little pricey for my blood.. do they make cheap ones for the at home wannabe chemist??

justine
#5 Posted : 11/21/2010 12:07:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I recently asked if it was possible to evap in a pressure cooker with a vacuum pump and got this PM from a member :

Quote:
I do not have enough posts to post in your PC evep thread but I evap lots of stuff in a PC but some vapors are harmful to the gasket of gasket PC's. I have an all american so I really have to only watch out for Al eating vapors. I let it rip full force with the pump but use a cold trap to catch condensed vapors to be nice to the pump. sciplus has a vacuum dessication chamber but it is plastic so solvent vapors may cloud it over time but you get to see in it so that is cool.

To see the world in a grain of sand, and to see heaven in a wild flower, hold infinity in the palm of your hands, and eternity in an hour.
- William Blake

landfishd
#6 Posted : 11/22/2010 12:56:19 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I put the wet spice in the chamber last night for an hour, out came some great shit that smells amazing. So much better smelling than the yellow stuff my friend gave me a while back. Haven't smoked yet because I get really anxious if I haven't done it in a while. Though I've read on here that the cleaner it is the better the taste and smoother the onset which sounds awesome.