We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Vinegar as a yield-killer?!? Options

TheReadyAwakening
#1 Posted : 11/2/2010 3:03:10 PM

Jimmy

So I've been using Q21Q21's vinegar & lime tek for a while now, and been experiencing fairly high yields, but I was reading through The DMT Handbook by Viracocha, where the author states,

"Many acids will work, however it is strongly recommended that Phosphoric, Hydrochloric, or
Sulphuric acid be used. Previously, Vinegar (Acetic acid) was used, but the yields were sub-
standard compared to those achieved with Phosphoric acid. This may be due to the Acetic
acid forming a weak bond with the DMT which may easily be broken down during some steps
of this process." (P.5)

Anyone have any verification that vinegar does or does not affect the yields? If so, where the hell can I find phosphoric, sulphuric, or hudrochloric acid?!?
“Ego is a structure that is erected by a neurotic individual who is a member of a neurotic culture against the facts of the matter. And culture, which we put on like an overcoat, is the collectivized consensus about what sort of neurotic behaviors are acceptable.” - Terence McKenna

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Phlux-
#2 Posted : 11/2/2010 3:22:56 PM

The Root

Chemical expertSenior Member

sounds reasonable -some ppl have got freebase by heating acetates - so perhaps in heated solutions of acetates some of the spice is freebased and released because of the heat.
just a shot in the dark - no proof of anything.
antrocles wrote:
...purity of intent....purity of execution....purity of experience...

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:
‹Jorkest› the wall is impenetrable as far as i can tell

Quote:
‹xtechre› cheese is great

He who packs ur capsules - controls your destiny.

endlessness
#3 Posted : 11/2/2010 3:26:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Do a side-by-side test with two extractions, vinegar on one side, and another acid on another, maintain all the rest exactly the same, see the final yield and come back to tell us. The community would be very thankful Pleased

Eden
#4 Posted : 11/2/2010 4:01:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to me this would only apply to traditional AB teks in which the bark has been removed prior to addition of the NPS.
Other teks utilizing vinegar for a pre-basification step (eg mentioned Q21Q21, BLAB) would experience no adverse effects even if the acetic bond was broken.

The purpose of the acid soak in these teks is simply a breakdown of source material.
The basifying step should destroy all bonds to form freebase which is then soluble in the NPS.
A strong bond is not necessarily desired...a strong bond would preserve the acetate which is insoluble in NPS.

Simply a discussion of the exact utilization of vinegar...more precise than stating vinegar in general will decrease yield.

TheReadyAwakening
#5 Posted : 11/2/2010 8:53:22 PM

Jimmy

Eden wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to me this would only apply to traditional AB teks in which the bark has been removed prior to addition of the NPS.
Other teks utilizing vinegar for a pre-basification step (eg mentioned Q21Q21, BLAB) would experience no adverse effects even if the acetic bond was broken.

The purpose of the acid soak in these teks is simply a breakdown of source material.
The basifying step should destroy all bonds to form freebase which is then soluble in the NPS.
A strong bond is not necessarily desired...a strong bond would preserve the acetate which is insoluble in NPS.

Simply a discussion of the exact utilization of vinegar...more precise than stating vinegar in general will decrease yield.

Ahh thank you for clearing this up! I add the NPS straight into the bark mixture after basification, so I think I'm fine. Just to make sure though, the lime is strong enough to destroy the bonds correct?
“Ego is a structure that is erected by a neurotic individual who is a member of a neurotic culture against the facts of the matter. And culture, which we put on like an overcoat, is the collectivized consensus about what sort of neurotic behaviors are acceptable.” - Terence McKenna

heavenlypursuit
#6 Posted : 11/15/2010 7:59:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Vinegar is great and never given SWIM a problem. He would much rather use that than sulfuric acid based on the fact it's food grade and has relatively no danger as compared to sulfuric acid.

Also, lime is definitely strong enough to break the bond. That's about the best food grade (if using food grade lime) base you can get. Sodium carbonate and bicarbonate don't have the same power.

Trickster
#7 Posted : 11/15/2010 11:03:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

heavenlypursuit wrote:
He would much rather use that than sulfuric acid based on the fact it's food grade and has relatively no danger as compared to sulfuric acid.

Food grade phosphoric acid is also available.
Do not seek the truth, just drop your opinions.

d*l*b
#8 Posted : 11/15/2010 3:43:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

There’s citric acid as another option to use too, very easy to find as well.

That being said I have yet to find any adverse difference in yield with vinegar (I use something fairly similar to Marsofold for A/B though). In fact I have found much better yields with vinegar, but this may have something to do with the fact that my first couple of A/B extractions (performed with citric) were at a time when I was inexperienced with A/B and hadn’t got my technique down.
D × V × F > R

heavenlypursuit
#9 Posted : 11/15/2010 8:39:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Citric acid is definitely dependable and I believe is in even more pure form than vinegar is.

Trickster wrote:
heavenlypursuit wrote:
He would much rather use that than sulfuric acid based on the fact it's food grade and has relatively no danger as compared to sulfuric acid.

Food grade phosphoric acid is also available.

Where might one find food grade phosphoric acid? Has SWIY used it before, and to what effects?

jmaxton
#10 Posted : 11/15/2010 11:11:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

heavenlypursuit wrote:
Where might one find food grade phosphoric acid? Has SWIY used it before, and to what effects?

morebeer.com is a good source of phosphoric acid, but it can also be found at lots of other homebrewing/winemaking supply shops.

It's been used for some time over at the Ayahuasca forums with cold water extractions and seems to do a great job, based on reports found there. I have not heard of any friends who have used it in an A/B, but I don't see why it wouldn't work just as well as HCl or sulfuric as long as you achieve the proper pH.

-JM

heavenlypursuit
#11 Posted : 11/16/2010 2:47:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Great, thanks Jmaxton!

mumbles
#12 Posted : 11/19/2010 4:17:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Phosphoric will perform AT LEAST as well as vinegar while also not stinking up the place or boiling out of solution.

d*l*b
#13 Posted : 11/19/2010 7:09:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

mumbles wrote:
Phosphoric will perform AT LEAST as well as vinegar while also not stinking up the place or boiling out of solution.

I was worried about the vinegar smell when I first did A/B so initially I was working with citric acid, however (at least using 1tbsp 5% vinegar/1L water to make it about pH 3 or 4) I have found no difference in stinkiness. I came to the conclusion the bark actually has a far stronger smell and I couldn't smell the vinegar very much at all.

I thought that the volatility of acetic acid might actually be beneficial as there would be a fairly stable pH, rather than it going down as the solution is reduced.
D × V × F > R

Shaolin
#14 Posted : 11/20/2010 12:35:54 PM

Stiletto Stoner

d*l*b wrote:

I thought that the volatility of acetic acid might actually be beneficial as there would be a fairly stable pH, rather than it going down as the solution is reduced.

A 10 volume reduction (for instance from 10000 to 1000 or 2000 to 200,...) of a phosporic-acidified solution should change a yield by 0.5 pH so I wouldn't worry about that. Same goes fo' acetic.
Got GVG ? Mhm. Got DMT ?

Pandora wrote:
Nexus enjoys cutting edge and ongoing superior programming skills of the owner of this site (The Traveler), including recent switching to the .me domain name.

I'm still, I'm still Jenny from the block

Simon Jester wrote:
"WTF n00b, buy the $100 vapor pipe or GTFO"

Ignorance of the law does not protect you from prosecution