We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Edible Ethnobotanicals Options

'Coatl
#1 Posted : 9/10/2008 12:50:22 AM

Teotzlcoatl

Those I suppose all edibles are ethnobotanicals?

Fruit I want to grow-

In Climate Cultivation-

Morus spp. ~ "Mulberry"
Rubus spectabilis ~ "Salmonberry"
Fragaria spp. ~ "Strawberry"
Punica granatum ~ "Pomegranate"
Actindica chinensis ~ "Kiwi"
Lycium barbarum ~ "Goji Berry" or "Wolfberry"
Vaccinium spp. ~ "Blueberry"
Oxycoccos spp. ~ "Cranberry"
Hippophae rhamnoides ~ "Sea-Buckthorn"
Rubus spp. ~ "Raspberry"
Passiflora spp. ~ "Passion Fruit"
Physalis peruviana ~ "Physalis" or "Cape Gooseberry"
Opunita spp. ~ "Prickly Pear"
Asimina spp. ~ "Papaw"
Berberis wilsoniae ~ "Chinese Barberry"
Crataegus pinnatifida ~ "Shan Zha"

Full Sun-

Zea spp. ~ "Maize"

Partial Sun/Shade-

Ficus ~ "Fig"

Full Shade-

Amelanchier alnifolia ~ "ServiceBerry" or "Juneberry"

Possibles-

Inga edulis ~ "Ice Cream Bean" (Could I grow this outdoors?)

Acca sellowiana ~ "Feijoa" or "Guavasteen"

Non-Fruit In Climate Edibles-

Bamboo

Green House or Partial Season Indoors Cultivation-

Garcinia mangostana ~ "Mangosteen"
Hylocereus spp. ~ "Dragonfruit"
Synsepalum dulcificum ~ "Miracle Fruit"
Durio spp. ~ "Durian"
Theobroma cacao ~ "Chocolate"
Coffea arabica ~ "Coffee"
Morinda citrifolia ~ "Noni"
Euterpe spp. ~ "Acai"
Annona cherimola ~ "Cherimoya"
Capsicum spp. ~ "Chili Pepper

Greenhouse Year Round-
???

Container Garden/Partial Season-
???

I basically want to grow the best fruits with the most nutrients and vitamins... can anybody think of any other super fruits?

*Please correct me if anything is wrong!*
WARNING: DO NOT INGEST ANY BOTANICAL WHICH YOU HAVE NOT FULLY RESEARCHED AND CORRECTLY IDENTIFIED!!!

I am Teotzlcoatl, older cousin of Quetzalcoatl. My most famous physical incarnation was Nezahualcoyotl, but I have taken many forms since the dawn of the cosmos. In this realm I manifest as multiple entities at a single time. I am many, I am numbered. I am few, but more than one. I am a multifaceted being, a winged serpent with many heads. We are Teotzlcoatl.

"We Are The One's We've Been Waiting For" - Hopi Proverb

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

'Coatl
#2 Posted : 9/10/2008 12:51:21 AM

Teotzlcoatl

Cheech said-
Quote:
what about shizandra berrys? theyre supposed to be very good!

also very rare berry: Vaccinium uliginosum - in german its called Rauschbeere \ which would be something like intoxicating berry

this berry is supposed to be non psychoactive by itself. but in the berry there is a certain mushroom which grows only in this berry and it is said to give quite a drunken feeling when eaten.

this berry is very rare and i go searching for a vaccinium uliginosum bush every year for about 8 years now. its supposed to grow in germany too. it grows in swampy terrain.

this is what it looks like: http://www.biopix.dk/Tem...20uliginosum%2027748.jpg

i came across this info in my normal berry picking book. i haven't found it anywhere in ethno literature.

the mushroom which grows in this berry is called Sclerotina megalospora

Thank you cheech for that awesome info!
WARNING: DO NOT INGEST ANY BOTANICAL WHICH YOU HAVE NOT FULLY RESEARCHED AND CORRECTLY IDENTIFIED!!!

I am Teotzlcoatl, older cousin of Quetzalcoatl. My most famous physical incarnation was Nezahualcoyotl, but I have taken many forms since the dawn of the cosmos. In this realm I manifest as multiple entities at a single time. I am many, I am numbered. I am few, but more than one. I am a multifaceted being, a winged serpent with many heads. We are Teotzlcoatl.

lucious
#3 Posted : 9/10/2008 1:13:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

careful with the bamboo. try to find a species that is native as it is highly invasive, some of them once they get started a nuke couldnt take them out. they also send up very sharp shoots can ruin a yard, if not neighborhood.

'Coatl
#4 Posted : 9/10/2008 1:40:10 AM

Teotzlcoatl

Ya eat the shoots!

Have you never had one? Ya fry 'em up like Zucchini! They're really good!

I'm not too worried about it spearding, I think I'll eat so much of it, there shouldn't be a problem!

I'm getting a strain called "Sweet Shoot" and it's supposed to be really tasty!

'Coatl
#5 Posted : 9/10/2008 1:44:14 AM

Teotzlcoatl

Bamboo is good eats!

lucious
#6 Posted : 9/10/2008 3:34:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

sure, great in stir fry, figured that was a given being on your edibles list. was just commenting on the invasiveness of the plant, as they spread fast and are hard to control once they are planted, they can displace native plants which is why i suggested trying to find one native to your area.

'Coatl
#7 Posted : 9/10/2008 5:18:55 AM

Teotzlcoatl

Is it horrible to say- "I don't care if it spreads, it looks pretty and taste good."?

The Traveler
#8 Posted : 9/10/2008 7:47:22 AM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

Bamboo can be really invasive indeed, treat with care I would say. It grows underneath the earth and then pops up at seemingly random places. Really hard to get rid of once it starts it's march.

One suggestion to add to your garden is wild rose, the rosehips are really full of vitamin C.
Check this site: http://coffeetea.about.c...kly/aa021003rosehips.htm
You can also make a nice jam out of it.

What you also can do is add 'normal' herbs to your garden. Almost all 'normal' household herbs are used for healing, it's amazing what you can do with them.

lorax
#9 Posted : 9/10/2008 12:26:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

also what about NONI fruit from hawaii? thats supposed to be one of the most healthy fruits in the world.
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues. And I'm asking you, sir, at the top if my lungs.. (all posts are fictional and are intended for entertainment purpose only)

'Coatl
#10 Posted : 9/10/2008 5:02:32 PM

Teotzlcoatl

Noni fruit sounds awesome!

Traveler, I have some many things I want to grow there's really no need for me to fill any space with boring old plants...

Not to say I won't have mint and what not... but if it's not personally useful, I probably won't grow it!