We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
HELP ME IDENTIFY LAB GLASS Options

drainlife20
#1 Posted : 9/5/2008 1:23:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

What the heck is this thing exactly?

Looks like two liquid/liquid extractors connected but I can't really figure out how it would work or what it would be useful for.
Thanks for reading my dream diary! I hope you found it interesting! LMBO!

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

69ron
#2 Posted : 9/5/2008 2:03:09 AM

DMT-Nexus member

That's what happens when a glass blower makes lab glass while tripping on LSD.

No, really, it's called a DIFKWIITAMJ (that stands for Damned If I Know What It Is Thing A Ma Jig). It's useful for doing something or other.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

'Coatl
#3 Posted : 9/5/2008 2:45:32 AM

Teotzlcoatl

It DOES look VERY useful!

For what... I haven't the slightest clue...
WARNING: DO NOT INGEST ANY BOTANICAL WHICH YOU HAVE NOT FULLY RESEARCHED AND CORRECTLY IDENTIFIED!!!

I am Teotzlcoatl, older cousin of Quetzalcoatl. My most famous physical incarnation was Nezahualcoyotl, but I have taken many forms since the dawn of the cosmos. In this realm I manifest as multiple entities at a single time. I am many, I am numbered. I am few, but more than one. I am a multifaceted being, a winged serpent with many heads. We are Teotzlcoatl.

"We Are The One's We've Been Waiting For" - Hopi Proverb

drainlife20
#4 Posted : 9/5/2008 4:42:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I was so about to google difkwiitam, dang. Let's look at the pic in a NSEW compass way. The south side arm looks like just a plain liquid/liquid extractor, and the bulb it connects to in the middle, is probably some sort of weak condenser. Or maybe the whole western half connected to the bulb, is separated from the eastern half and it's some sort of dry ice cold finger with a bulb ET style, and the little limp penis extention on the northwestern part is for co2 to escape. I really don't know and I can only speculate. I just can't think of any reason that an extractor would need an addition that looks like that on the northeast side, it's not a moisture trap. An acid/solvent extractor that separates the two somehow?

It was cool looking so I bought it anyways Smile If I can't do anything with it, it's a base pipe by default. $26 with shipping, I paid $2 less for a good base pipe. I haven't met glass yet that won't melt with a propane torch and patience.

ChemicalEudaemonia
#5 Posted : 9/8/2008 12:44:13 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Saw an ebay ad for it and bought one also Very happy 25 bucks seems like a damn good price for w/e the hell it is

It was presumed to be a "soxhlet fractioning column" on the ad. I think maybe it could serve to separate heavier and/or lighter-than-water essential oils (on the right side), or as a way to isolate insoluble compounds.

drainlife20
#6 Posted : 9/8/2008 10:35:19 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm thinking maybe the two connectors are used for two different solvents, like maybe if you're using something that would set on fire if it reached the boiling point of water. Or it's probably some sort of specialty device that's only useful for one purpose. I'll have to wait and see I guess. It's a pretty bad picture, but I don't see any sort of water jacket or anything.

Fable
#7 Posted : 9/9/2008 11:54:48 AM

DMT-Nexus member

It looks like it is used for fractional distillation. The lighter stuff distilling out on one side and the heavier on the other.
Solvent separation.
Me thinkey
Smile
I am a leaf on the the wind, watch how I soar!

drainlife20
#8 Posted : 9/9/2008 10:01:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah, definitely. Separates the lighter than water(north side) from the heavier than water(south side). It's continuous if you have two hot plates, if only one, it'll separate the two layers, but honestly a sep funnel would be faster. It's very small. I'm not entirely sure what that extension is on the North West side, probably to vacuum seal it all. Alcohol is fully miscible in water right? I mean, if this thing ran with booze in it, it wouldn't separate the two would it?

benzyme
#9 Posted : 9/10/2008 12:05:06 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

Fable wrote:
It looks like it is used for fractional distillation.

that would be my guess.

drainlife, I believe it could to a certain point, around 96% (EtOH) I think. ethanol and water form an azeotrope at around that %age
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck