We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Mind Altering Science @ Amsterdam | 23 - 24 October 2010 Options

clouds
#1 Posted : 10/3/2010 6:17:44 AM

Human

Official Website: http://www.mindalteringscience.com/

Stichting OPEN is proud to organize the first academic conference on psychedelic research. We offer you two full days of 21st century, cutting edge research into psychedelics and the psychedelic experience. The conference is organized for all those with a serious interest in psychedelic research.

The two-day conference will include a variety of lectures, interactive dialogues and presentations of recent research data. Academics, therapists and medical professionals from various countries will discuss the use of psychedelics from their own disciplinary perspective. Everyone with an eagerness to lean more about psychedelic research is invited to attend this unique event, whether they are researchers, medical professionals or students.

Confirmed Speakers

We are happy to present the following international experts as our keynote speakers:

Torsten Passie MD (DE)
R. Andrew Sewell MD (US)
Peter Oehen MD (CH)
Bia Labate (BR)
Jordi Riba MD (ES)
Jose Carlos Bouso MD (ES)
Adèle van der Plas LLM (NL)
Katharina Kirchner MSc (CH)
Stephen Snelders PhD (NL)
David Luke PhD (UK)
Dr. Anwar Jeewa (SA)
Daniël Waterman (NL)
Konstantin Kuteykin-Teplyakov PhD (RU)

About the Conference

With researchers and therapists from a wide variety of academic disciplines, this event will be dedicated to the exploration of a broad range of subjects. From addiction treatment to psychotherapy with the aid of psychedelics, from the neurobiology of ayahuasca to the social, ritual and legal implications of its use, and from human psychopharmacology research and the exploration of exceptional mindstates to new views on the legalisation of psychedelic substances.

The conference lasts two full days; the conference will start at 9 am each day and end around 6 pm. In between lectures attendees will have ample time to discuss with speakers, to buy books, to acquire more information on psychedelic research and associated organisations and more. The whole conference will be held in English.

Organized by Stichting OPEN

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

The Traveler
#2 Posted : 10/3/2010 9:25:57 PM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

It's not as big as the WPF but I am interested in quite a few speakers, this should be very interesting.

And surprise: Me and my wife will be attending this conference too!

If anyone has a question to one of the keynote speakers at this conference then please state that question in this thread. If time etc. permits I can maybe ask them your questions.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

shoe
#3 Posted : 10/4/2010 11:05:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Ouh, nice! Keep supplying us with juicy info like this!
Aren't you just about a train's journey from amsterdam, Traveler?
shoe

ॐ भूर्भुव: स्व: तत्सवितुर्वरेण्यं । भर्गो देवस्य धीमहि, धीयो यो न: प्रचोदयात्
Love, Gratittude, Compassion, Fearlessness!

L_Starr
#4 Posted : 10/4/2010 12:00:20 PM
DMT-Nexus member

*backflips & drools*

VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO Smile

"Some thing interesting"

corpus callosum
#5 Posted : 10/5/2010 11:46:19 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

If I can get organised I think I may be attending.Certainly sounds interesting:idea: Wut? Stop Smile
I am paranoid of my brain. It thinks all the time, even when I'm asleep. My thoughts assail me. Murderous lechers they are. Thought is the assassin of thought. Like a man stabbing himself with one hand while the other hand tries to stop the blade. Like an explosion that destroys the detonator. I am paranoid of my brain. It makes me unsettled and ill at ease. Makes me chase my tail, freezes my eyes and shuts me down. Watches me. Eats my head. It destroys me.

The Traveler
#6 Posted : 10/5/2010 2:14:32 PM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

shoe wrote:
Ouh, nice! Keep supplying us with juicy info like this!
Aren't you just about a train's journey from amsterdam, Traveler?

Train? TRAIN?? Oh, how I dislike public transportation. Pleased

By car it will be a 30-45 minutes drive, I think we'll drive there and stay in a hotel for the weekend.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

Virola78
#7 Posted : 10/5/2010 4:29:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I will probably be there too... Very happy Very happy Very happy

Would love to meet The Traveler in person Smile

“The most important thing in illness is never to lose heart.” -Nikolai Lenin

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Enoon
#8 Posted : 10/11/2010 8:50:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Harm reduction, Analytical thinking

Am attending! ticket booked and all Very happy

(now just to figure out the secret nexus-handshake or signal...)
Buon viso a cattivo gioco!
---
The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook - A handbook for the safe and responsible use of entheogens.
---
mushroom-grow-help ::: energy conserving caapi extraction

polytrip
#9 Posted : 10/11/2010 10:41:55 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: A speck of dust in endless space, like everyone else.
Looks interesting.
Maybe i'll go and maybe not. I think i'll sleep on it for another night.

clouds
#10 Posted : 11/8/2010 4:41:18 AM

Human

so how was it? Wut?

Enoon
#11 Posted : 11/8/2010 8:07:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I was planning on writing a summary of some of the talks but can't seem to find the time. All in all I really enjoyed the conference. There were a few unscientific talks that made me want to ... (as well as some of the questions asked...) well, anyway... a lot of the talks were very good and interesting, had some good pointers. Even the unscientific talks were interesting in the sense that they made me realize what science and scientific evidence was all about. The problem with soft science IMO seems to be that it relies solely on the interpretation of the statistics by the observer.

So there was some nice stuff about ibogaine, some interesting studdies about MDMA and holotropic breathing...
Also about Psychedelics and psy-phenomena, which was very well presented - and repeatedly stated that the occurrence of these things were subjective i.e. the person on psychedelics thought he/she was experiencing telepathy or whatever.
The talk I had been looking forward to - LSD and psychotherapy - was a bit disappointing because the research is still ongoing and the data that was presented was inconclusive at best, at worst it was more negative than positive. And it was not presented well IMO.

One talk which I really enjoyed was by a Russian anthropologist who tried tying anthropology and neuro chemistry together. He showed pictures of mushroom churches i.e. churches that look like mushrooms, and correlated them to the spread of the growth psychedelic mushrooms. The talk was very entertaining. I'll have to look through my notes and see if I can put some of the info up here.

There were two final talks about psychedelics in the context of society and science, that I both enjoyed very much. They tried to put a very positive (obviously) perspective on it, making it part of the evolutionary process of the human collective in a sense, even though it is forbidden at the moment. They were comparing it to ancient mystic schools that in their oppinion had done a lot for progress and invention.

The highlight of the entire conference however was meeting up with Trav and Psyvox, at least for me that was. Smile

much love
---
The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook - A handbook for the safe and responsible use of entheogens.
---

Crystalito
#12 Posted : 11/8/2010 9:14:19 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
The talk I had been looking forward to - LSD and psychotherapy - was a bit disappointing because the research is still ongoing and the data that was presented was inconclusive at best, at worst it was more negative than positive. And it was not presented well IMO.

Hm that sounds like an interesting talk given that research in those areas has "recently" been opened up again. Can you elaborate?

Was the talks recorded by the people holding the conference? I wish such lectures were recorded and uploaded more frequently.

Enoon
#13 Posted : 11/8/2010 10:27:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Crystalito, I'll elaborate when I go through my notes soon. (I hope I can manage soon)
concerning the recordings, people were recording the talks, both with cameras and sound; I just sent a request to the coordinators of the conference asking them where I can find these recordings. Hopefully we'll have our answer soon.

In the mean time, this is something from the Russian guy I mentioned earlier. It's about wikipedia articles which he also mentioned in his talk. He was also talking about how to conduct research when you have nothing other than the internet -> there was an article that used youtube videos to make a study about Salvia. it sounds pretty absurd, but it got published...

cheers
---
---