We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
storage.. Options

lorax
#1 Posted : 9/5/2008 1:22:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

someone once recommended having a plastic tupperware box full of desiccant and some zinc dust at the bottom to kill off any oxygen floating around in the storage container. it is said to be stored best at 3 degrees celcius.

SWIMs question is about the zinc. SWIM went to the pharmacy and asked about pure zinc powder and what forms it could be gotten in. The first one to pop up was zinc oxide. SWIM thought to himself that the oxide will probably not be good for taking on oxygen because it is already oxidized.

SWIM got some Zincsulfate-Heptahydrate.

SWIM would like to know if this is safe to use for spice storage. It has a little orange sticker on it which has dead trees & dead fish on it. So SWIM is a little afraid he has gotten something he can't use for storage. Or is this the right thing?
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues. And I'm asking you, sir, at the top if my lungs.. (all posts are fictional and are intended for entertainment purpose only)

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

rellik
#2 Posted : 9/5/2008 1:55:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

if you are looking to remove oxygen, a glass container would probably work better since tupperwares(most plastics) are pretty permeable to different gasses
all of my posts are fictional. please interpret them as such.

lorax
#3 Posted : 9/5/2008 2:54:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIM has tupperware with a vacuum pump Smile
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues. And I'm asking you, sir, at the top if my lungs.. (all posts are fictional and are intended for entertainment purpose only)

lorax
#4 Posted : 9/5/2008 2:54:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

he just needs to know if the zinc is ok or not..

69ron
#5 Posted : 9/5/2008 9:21:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

cheech wrote:
someone once recommended having a plastic tupperware box full of desiccant and some zinc dust at the bottom to kill off any oxygen floating around in the storage container. it is said to be stored best at 3 degrees celcius.

SWIMs question is about the zinc. SWIM went to the pharmacy and asked about pure zinc powder and what forms it could be gotten in. The first one to pop up was zinc oxide. SWIM thought to himself that the oxide will probably not be good for taking on oxygen because it is already oxidized.

SWIM got some Zincsulfate-Heptahydrate.

SWIM would like to know if this is safe to use for spice storage. It has a little orange sticker on it which has dead trees & dead fish on it. So SWIM is a little afraid he has gotten something he can't use for storage. Or is this the right thing?

That kind will not work. It must be pure zinc that is not bound to any other molecules. This is specifically called “zinc dust”. Look for “zinc dust” on google shopping. There are several places that sell it.

Another thing that works, but not as well, is ascorbic acid (vitamin C). But again it must be pure ascorbic acid, no other form. Zinc dust is best if you can get it.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

benzyme
#6 Posted : 9/6/2008 5:19:20 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

it's all about the drierite

spice vial in vacuo (loosely capped, of course)
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

ChemicalEudaemonia
#7 Posted : 9/8/2008 1:30:58 AM
DMT-Nexus member

why store it when you can smoke it?

lorax
#8 Posted : 9/10/2008 3:10:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

because... Pleased

benzyme
#9 Posted : 9/10/2008 3:17:10 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

cheech wrote:
because...

metaphorically speaking, it's like having a genie in a bottle; you're only granted a finite number of wishes. good luck finding another 'genie' on the street too, unless you can afford to conduct your own magic on a whim.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

lorax
#10 Posted : 10/18/2008 9:43:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

because sometimes a friend just has too much of it lying around from manic midnight extraction procedures.. and since that specific friend has got other things to do besides smoking spice he needs to store it for the right times.. Pleased

not every day is made for the spice.. its only very special days. that friend also doesn't think its good to do it so often.. he rather does it every 3 months or so and then he needs to think about it for a long time until he can face it again. in between that friend learns from either the mushroom or the leaves of salvia divinorum on a 2 week basis.

he has many allies to distribute his time to.

Dwhitty76
#11 Posted : 10/19/2008 5:29:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I saved this to my computer as i do with most useful information. I believe it was posted by 69ron but if i'm wrong i apoligize. In fact i'm pretty sure it was 69ron

Long Term Storage

Place the DMT inside a small glass container that has a screw on cap with whole drilled into it. Put a good quality flexible glass micro fiber filter paper on top of the container and close the lid so that the filter paper is held firmly in place by the lid. This filter is there to prevent dust from getting inside the container while allowing the oxygen in the container to flow out of the container. In a larger container place a small amount of zinc dust and anhydrous magnesium sulfate just like before. Place your DMT container in the larger container. Close the lid of the larger container using a flexible air tight lid that is freezer safe. Because the DMT is protected by a filter paper, if the larger container is ever accidentally shaken, the DMT will not get contaminated with the powder in the larger container. Also, the filter paper allows the zinc dust to absorb all the oxygen present in the DMT container.

Manufacturers and sellers (such as Sigma-Aldrich) recommended that 5-MeO-DMT be stored at 2 - 8 C and NOT KEPT FROZEN. So this probably applies to DMT as well. Actually this applies to the majority of drugs. It might be a good idea to buy a small freezer adjusted to 5 C just for this purpose.

" Freedom from the desire for an answer is essential to the understanding of a problem." - jiddu Krishnamurti

acolon_5
#12 Posted : 10/20/2008 2:29:17 PM

The Great Namah

Wow, that kinda blows everything that I know about trytamine storage away (not that I really know that much about it).

Can someone explain why it is not a good idea to store it in subfreezing temperature?

If it is a choice between fridge and freezer should I opt out for the fridge???
The Spice extends life
The Spice expands consciousness
The Spice is vital for space travel
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Never underestimate the power of STUFF!

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.

Infundibulum
#13 Posted : 10/20/2008 4:59:46 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

Personally I think that freezing is absolutely fine. SWIM's FOAF never had a trouble with long term storage of spice in the freezer. And I do not see the point of 2-8 C. As long as the spice is totally dry then nothing like for instance the crystal lattice of ice can actually harm it

I can see the point however if the spice is in salt form, dissolved in water and one's freezing it. The ice crystal lattice can damage molecules both upon its formation (freezing) and its decomposition (thawing). Repeated freeze-thawing of aqueous solutions of biological molecules is widely accepted to contribute to their long-term degradation. But freebased dry spice has nothing to fear from freezing temperatures.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!