We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Add Sodium Bi-Carbonate to Mimosa Tea? Options

Apoc
#1 Posted : 11/2/2010 11:15:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

HELLO!!!! I was just wondering if anyone thinks it's a good idea to add sodium bicarbonate to mimosa tea, in order to neutralize the tannic acid, which everyone hates. Would that affect potency? Good idea, or bad idea?

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

alzabo
#2 Posted : 11/3/2010 12:55:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

ouro
#3 Posted : 11/3/2010 2:35:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

pure speculation: the sodium bicarb will act to neutralize hcl in the stomach that would otherwise displace the tannic acid in the natural dmt tannate form, preventing absorption. So, by my wild reasoning the bicarb tea could be less active. You never know till you try Smile Be safe!

Apoc
#4 Posted : 11/3/2010 5:30:19 AM

DMT-Nexus member

hmmm, ok I guess I'll try it. It would be a pinch of baking soda, certainly not enough to raise the ph to greatly alkaline levels, since the tannic acid is already making the tea ph very low. Besides, I don't think baking soda is base enough to freebase dmt or else people would use it instead of lye.

dreamdweller
#5 Posted : 11/3/2010 7:30:37 AM
Don Juan

I don't see really why you would want to do this as removing the tannins with egg white makes the stuff almost tasteless. Put it in some milk with a little flavoring and you wouldn't taste a dang thing. Your idea may make it taste even better, just with a tad though?

dreamdweller
#6 Posted : 11/3/2010 7:33:39 AM
Don Juan

http://onlinelibrary.wil....1986.tb11231.x/abstract it pretty much says that your idea reduces tannins by about half. Not a bad idea

http://cat.inist.fr/?aMo...cheN&cpsidt=19029751 heres another that says again you have a great idea

Apoc
#7 Posted : 11/3/2010 8:00:58 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the links! I have tried the egg white thing, and I did not find it affected taste. Also, it seemed likely that removing that much stuff from the brew would affect the potency. There were a lot of tannic balls. I figured there would have to be some dmt in those balls. I've also tried making mimosa jello, and found that did not affect taste either. The baking soda thing is just to reduce the acid. I'm just a little bit concerned about the effect of astringent. It has a really drying effect on mucosal linings, mouth, stomach, intestines.

endlessness
#8 Posted : 11/3/2010 2:31:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

It should work, some people have been doing it (snozz was maybe one of them? crystalito too?) and claimed it did help in the taste. Just be careful because if you add too much base, some dmt might start precipitating, so be sure not to filter/decant after adding the base. Tell us how it went!

acolon_5
#9 Posted : 11/3/2010 7:55:18 PM

The Great Namah

Good luck with it! I'd like to know your results as well.

I can't imagine it helping the taste much, but if you are drinking mimosa tea it surely can't hurt the taste at all.
The Spice extends life
The Spice expands consciousness
The Spice is vital for space travel
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Never underestimate the power of STUFF!

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.

alzabo
#10 Posted : 11/3/2010 8:24:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Apoc wrote:
Besides, I don't think baking soda is base enough to freebase dmt or else people would use it instead of lye.

There is a tek about extracting with baking soda and vegetable oil;

DMT EXTRACTION » AB » The Poor Mans Tek - A 100% Fat Free, Food Safe, Grocery Store Solution to DMT Extraction

THE NEXUS NURSERY » General Extractions Help » Is this a legit tek?

artistofdivine wrote:

This would be a dream come true as if this actually works since baking soda is so easily accessible.

spicemeister wrote:

The real beauty of this tek is that you probably already have everything you need to extract either freebase or a salt of DMT. If not, you can buy everything you need at your local dollar store, or corner grocery store. This tek although making use of sometimes even the fattiest and crudest solvents , yeilds a 100% fat and oil free product. You will pull beautiful white xtals. This tek IS workable and almost impossible to screw up by even the most chemistry naive extractor.

Although somewhat lacking in exact amounts, volumes and measurements ... it should give a strong enough general overview to carry anyone through.

Here it is... starting with what you'll need...

Baking soda

90% Rubbing (Isopropyl) Alcohol, or Ethyl Alcohol, or Acetone, (Methyl works but voids the food safe aspect, however it is completely safe if evapped completely.) Less than 90% will work but will result in small amounts of baking soda being in the end product. This is completely harmless and can be cleaned by repeating the process a few times.) Acetone is prefferable here

Any Type of Vegetable Oil, Canola Oil, Sunflower Oil, Peanut Oil etc... (hell even lard would work here if kept hot)

Some type of acid, Lemon juice, Vinegar, Vitamin C ... etc...

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

Source: http://www.entheogen.com...e/index.php?t-25911.html

These aren't the droids you're looking for.

Apoc
#11 Posted : 11/4/2010 3:45:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

hmmmm, interesting. Thanks ya'll.

alzabo
#12 Posted : 11/4/2010 4:05:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm very interested to hear how this works out for you, Apoc.
For my next extraction, I will be using a similar process to this.

endlessness wrote:
Just be careful because if you add too much base, some dmt might start precipitating, so be sure not to filter/decant after adding the base. Tell us how it went!

An additional thought, completely untested by me;
Add something acidic after adding the base to make sure that all the DMT is in a water soluble salt form.
These aren't the droids you're looking for.