We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
do we live in a holographic universe? Options

actualfactual
#1 Posted : 10/21/2010 1:49:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Craig Hogan is trying to find out @ http://www.symmetrymagaz...of-holographic-universe/

Here is some commentary I found on another site

Quote:
We've all seen holograms before I imagine. I had a really cool Pog Slammer when I was a kid that had a hologram of a skull on it. Holograms encode three dimensional information onto a two dimensional surface, such that the image you see looks 3D even though it's only 2D. Likewise, the space you and I all live in seems to be three dimensional, but it's entirely possible that we are living inside my Pog Slammer. The important thing to take note of is that it's entirely possible to "encode" the state of an entire volume of space just on the boundary of said region. Or in other words, the amount of information in a given region is not determined by the region's volume, but counter-intuitively by its surface area.

If this experiment succeeds in demonstrating that our universe is holographic, this would mean we are essentially "the shadow" cast off by true reality. The three dimensions we live in wouldn't be real, but rather all of our universe would be encoded on its "boundary" and in a strange tribute to Plato we might literally be living in the allegory of the cave.

I wanted to make that last paragraph better, but then I stumbled upon this link (http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/research/gr/public/holo/) that I think does a decent job of explaining the Holographic Principle and more importantly what its proof would mean for our objective reality.

edit: A more intuitive explanation. Just as you, a seemingly three dimensional person casts a two dimensional shadow on a wall, the Holographic Principle says that we are three dimensional "shadows" cast by a two dimensional reality. That would mean that the entire universe we see around us would simply be "shadows" of actual "Reality".

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

gibran2
#2 Posted : 10/21/2010 1:51:43 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expertSenior Member

I like it. Smile
gibran2 is a fictional character. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

The Centre
#3 Posted : 10/21/2010 2:33:41 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Well, it wouldn't prove that what we are living in isn't real, but it would prove that it isn't the only reality out there. What we are experiencing is definitely real, otherwise we wouldn't be experiencing it at all, but it definitely isn't the only thing that is real either.

gibran2
#4 Posted : 10/21/2010 2:50:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expertSenior Member

The Centre wrote:
Well, it wouldn't prove that what we are living in isn't real, but it would prove that it isn't the only reality out there. What we are experiencing is definitely real, otherwise we wouldn't be experiencing it at all, but it definitely isn't the only thing that is real either.

This idea (theory?) doesn’t suggest that our “reality” isn’t real. It just says that reality as we perceive it and imagine it to be may be very different than it actually is.
gibran2 is a fictional character. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

hyperspacing
#5 Posted : 10/21/2010 3:23:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Interesting. I like it.
-Close your eyes, See the light, and feel the sunshine in the shade

~All views, ideas and opinions of this user are strictly fictional and in no way represent an act done in reality.

The Centre
#6 Posted : 10/21/2010 3:48:17 PM
DMT-Nexus member

It is different and the same at the same time. Reality is to complex to comprehend. The concept of reality has plauged many a mind for centuries.

The Traveler
#7 Posted : 10/21/2010 6:02:16 PM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

Oh, how funky.

I also read this one today and thought it would be a good idea to make a thread about it on the nexus. Very happy

Kind regards,

The Traveler