We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Kicking a habit, please help me! Options

CosmicFool
#1 Posted : 10/14/2010 8:10:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So, I've come to a point in my life where I wanna kick the habit of smoking tobacco for good. Now, being a smoker for 15+ years has taken it's toll on my body, but as you know, getting rid of this damned stuff is so frustratingly hard that it makes me wanna kick my teeth in. So I was wondering if I could substitute it with something else for a few weeks, till the worst shakes wear off.

Now heres where you beloved nexians step in, recommend me different herbs! I know you changamaestros out there know a lot of them Very happy The point is, the herbs dont have to be active in any way (though it doesnt hurt if they are), I just want something smooth to go with tobacco that has 1mg of nicotine in it.

Im definately going to get me some Mullein, since i've heard so much good about it, but what else is there? And if you guys could point me to internet vendors that sell these herbs that you suggest, it would be greately appreciated by me, and my missus (since she doesnt smoke, she's been frowning upon me every time I go get some fresh air through a filter) Smile Ive been looking through everyonedoesit.com but for some reason im not quite happy with their selections.
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.

CosmicFool is a fictional character, a creation of imagination, and everything written above should not be taken seriously, or perhaps read at all.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

DJ_Truthseek
#2 Posted : 10/14/2010 8:58:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I know your pain. I smoked for 12 years in couldn't quit. Zyban worked for three months but when I quit Zyban slowly started smoking again. A few years later I got a girlfriend who didn't smoke and quit partying and I was able to quite. Still have the odd one when I drink though. I think that had something to do with it.

Anyways, Recently I found out some interesting facts about smoking. I was reading about Tobacco and nicotine on wikipedia and turns out Tobacco is an MAOI. And that nicotine is not as nearly addictive if its not administered with an MAOI.
Quote:
Technically, nicotine is not significantly addictive, as nicotine administered alone does not produce significant reinforcing properties.[41] However, only after coadministration with an MAOI, such as those found in tobacco, nicotine produces significant behavioral sensitization, a measure of addiction potential. This is similar in effect to amphetamine.[42]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine

My suggestion: Switch to E-cigarettes. They don't have the MAOI effect and any of the nasty carcinogens but the nicotine will kill the cravings. Plus they are cheaper I hear. Then supplement your self with some adaptogens(Ashwagandha and Rhodiola) and some Choline. Why? Adaptogens will help restore the balance and I think those ones are week MAOIs too. Choline will boost your acetylcholine levels which hits the same receptors as nicotine reducing your need or cravings. I've have supplements with all these in them and more(ex:New Roots Chill pills,Don't chill me out much though). Might help ween you off of them. Just a suggestion, can't do any harm.

Last but not least. Try to stay away from smokers. lol. I find it tempting to go out with them for a smoke and right now thats usually when I crack. Especially when I'm drinking. Right now I justify it by saying I only smoke when I drink. Confused
"Prying open my third eye."

"We are all one conciousness experiencing itself subjectively..."
Bill Hicks

Madcap
#3 Posted : 10/14/2010 11:29:48 PM

illudium Q-36

I quit smoking after 15 years by cutting back slowly and then using a nicotine patch.

Seriously, I think the trick was that I was down to about a half pack a day and then used the patch that was for people smoking a pack a day.

The slight nicotine overdose left me feeling like even a drag off a cigarette would send me spinning. I COULDN"T smoke..otherwise I would feel sick as hell.

To beat the oral fixation... I smoked MJ in big fat rolling machine joints that gave a big toke so it made me cough like a mofo. I would smoke these a couple times a day.

All posts written by Madcap should be regarded as fiction.

endlessness
#4 Posted : 10/14/2010 11:30:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

A friend of mine once wanted to try smoking tobacco.. I was joking with him that the sure way to do that was to, every time he wanted to smoke a cigarrette, go smoke DMT.. For sure soon enough he will be begging to not smoke it anymore Very happy

Sorry I cant really help you much, I never smoked cigarrettes, but I wish you all the best! I think wanting to stop is already such an important step, congrats! Dont give up, and I hope more people can help you here.

As a general tip, though, I think that a very important thing is to use the oportunity to make other changes in your life. For example start exercising regularly if you dont. Just a small walk, run, swim, doing some sports or whatever. Start slowly, work your way up. And/or start eating better if you feel you can.

It really does pay off to do these changes and I think it can help you become stronger against your vice, as opposed to maintaining the exact same routines and just eliminating one particular habbit (because then everything reminds you of that one thing which is now missing).

In any case, good luck!

jamie
#5 Posted : 10/14/2010 11:57:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

Get some lobelia so if you absolutily must smoke..smoke that. It contains lobeline which has similar action to nicotine, but without the physical addiction..so you can get a "fix" without building more physical dependance..best to not smoke at all though.
Long live the unwoke.

Rivea
#6 Posted : 10/15/2010 12:15:01 AM

No.. that can't be...

Senior Member | Skills: Harmalas, A/B Extraction, Sonication, Sterile Processing, Hardware design, Craftsman

I stopped cold turkey 17 years ago. I got sick of getting bronchitis and coughing up pieces of my lungs....
Everything mentioned herein has been deemed by our staff of expert psychiatrists to be the delusional rantings of a madman who has been treated with Thorazine who is hospitalized within the confines of our locked facility. This patient sometimes requires the application of 6 point leather restraints and electrodes at the temples to break his delusions. Therefore, take everything mentioned above with a grain of salt...

CosmicFool
#7 Posted : 10/15/2010 4:48:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for your input guys Smile The thing is, I cant (or could, but dont wanna) get e-cigarettes because this country's stupid laws, they've been listed as some sort of medical suppliment and need some sort of approval (my english is nearly not good enough to explain this properly Very happy), and so they are illegal, even ordering some online could get one into a serious trouble Sad
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.

CosmicFool is a fictional character, a creation of imagination, and everything written above should not be taken seriously, or perhaps read at all.

Bill Cipher
#8 Posted : 10/15/2010 7:41:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I feel ya. I smoked a pack and a half a day for 10 years. In the end, I just set a date, slapped on the patch and sweated it out.

Withdrawl blows. There's no way around that. But there is a better, healthier life on the other side to reward you.

Best of luck.

Cindor
#9 Posted : 10/15/2010 9:29:04 AM
DMT-Nexus member

For an occasional cigarette y recommend some hand rolling additives frees tobacco, like "Natural Domingo", for an alternative palan palan (Nicotiana Glauca) does wonders, it contains little nicotine and anabasine, a nicotine antagonist, it's being studied as a cure to nicotine addiction, your best bet is to get fresh leaves, smash them and let them ferment for a few days before drying for a better taste.

Vector
#10 Posted : 10/15/2010 4:56:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I don't mean to sound cold or crass, but the truth is, if you want to quit smoking cigarettes just don't put them to your mouth and light them.

All the old tricks will help, like gum, stress balls, pot, etc. but really its just a matter of will. you need to look that demon in the face and stomp his ass out!! All drugs have a spirit that comes with them...tobacco is no different. just tell that spirit that you are banishing it from your life, and then stick to your guns. just don't smoke.

Malaclypse
#11 Posted : 10/15/2010 5:08:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm sure there are things that can help with kicking the habit for people, but I kind of agree that it is almost all will power. Having said that I'm sure that psychologically using herbs and what not can help and of course the patch will help with withdrawals.

The withdrawal isn't heroin or anything. What helped me realize that it should be easy is that I just thought of all the women who get pregnant and instantly stop smoking for 9 months at least. It is totally doable, you just need some motivation. A little heart burn/jitters isn't going to do anything. It sucks for a few weeks and you will find yourself finding all sorts of excuses to have just one. Like I'll have one this Friday hanging out with friends or whatever dumb excuses your ego will come up with. Just recognize that. And simply when you want to smoke a cig, just don't. You are not going to die or suffer extreme pain from withdrawal. I found doing some deep breathing (try reading about some pranayama) when I felt the urge really helped alot.

GalactivatedMuse
#12 Posted : 10/15/2010 8:31:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I LOVE* YOUR IDEA AND METHOD LET ME (DO WHAT I CAN) TO -HELP- YOU DISCOVER THE RIGHT HERBS TO QUIT WITH. MY PERSON DID THE SAME METHOD ABOUT 6 MONTHS AGO AND~ LOVED IT.

Step one. Go pipe shopping. (and I don't mean going to go find a sweet ass glass a roo pipe that would make a morman want to give you an exorcism) I am talking about finding a decent wooden pipe that you are happy to hold. One that feels nice in your hand. One that makes you smile when you look at it. Something cozy. My idea is that if you spend a few dollars on something you are committing a little bit more... and that is what we want right?? a commitment.

Mullen is a definite must have my friend. This friendly herb acts as an expectorant to get all that nasty built up horror out of your lungs that have accumulated over the 15 years. Fresh mullen is best if you have a way to go and pick it or find it somewhere that has only been dried a little bit. Rub it.. make it a ritual to rub it between your fingers. Get all those micro lung savers activated.

May pop is the next buddy on the list. This lovely flower is actually an addiction receptor blocker! As if mother nature would leave you hanging. She makes the nicotine.. and its arch enemy. may pop.

damiana-Damiana is a shrub native to North and Central America. The leaf is the part of the damiana plant that contains the powerful therapeutic compounds. Damiana has long been used by Mexican cultures for treatment of a variety of conditions.

Catnip is also something you could apply to the blend. and marshmallow root.. ya know. different things for taste.

Lobelia Is a very powerful herb that helps to calm the mind and relax the body. It has helped many people to control their cravings for nicotine. Lobelia is also reputed to have the effect of making cigarettes taste very bad.

Skullcap Contains plant compounds that help the brain produce more endorphins (naturally occurring chemicals that promote feelings of well-being). This is believed to enhance both awareness and calmness. Skullcap relaxes states of nervous tension while renewing and reviving the central nervous system.

Black cohosh- Is commonly used by women to help them stay balanced during their monthly cycle. However, it is also known to be a safe sedative that relieves nervousness and anxiety, which makes it useful for the irritability, restlessness, and nervousness associated with quitting smoking.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/gre...king.html##ixzz12SOPjgbr

Okay so with those in mind. DON'T GET OVERWHELMED!!!! This is just a lot of them. You can choose any one of these to help you out of it. YOU DON'T have to have all of them in order for this to work. I only had mullen, may pop and tobacco crumbs. If there is a herb shop in your town.. They are great people in helping in the assistance of this.

Now MY FRIEND here comes the trick. You might want to do it your own personal way, but I know this is what works for me.

Get your smoking blend together. get your rub on the mullen leaf. Breath deep and appreciate the smells of the herbs. YOU ARE GETTING YOUR SENSE OF SMELL BACK. Be happy for that.
get a little bit of tobacco and mix it in with your herb blend. JUST ENOUGH SO YOUR CRAVING IS GONE. So just enough for like 3 drags or so. The may pop and what ever you choose do the rest of the work. Most of it is just a smoking thing. CUT DOWN THE AMOUNT OF TOBACCO EACH DAY YOU WORK TOWARD QUITTING.

You might even consider once you decide to not put any tobacco in for a few weeks and leave it all together that you enjoy the new smoking blend just as a form of relaxation. At least your mind is free from addiction and able to concentrate on more 'elevated' endeavors. Pleased

Love and Light
Currently pulling stories and knowledge together to start a work of fiction. Anything expressed on the forum is related directly to my dreams, my love for fiction, and my love for information. "The magic is in the mind."

CosmicFool
#13 Posted : 10/18/2010 1:32:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Woah thats awesome Smile Looks like I'll just be switching addictions, from nicotine to mixing herbs Very happy Thanks alot guys! Smile