We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
DMT & the pineal Options

digital_phreedom
#1 Posted : 10/14/2010 5:43:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So, I just recently picked up a copy of "The Spirit Molecule", finally! What a great read.. I'm only 80 pages or so into it, but I'm loving it very much..

Here's my question though..

Strassman makes a pretty solid (though not always scientific) argument for endogenous production of DMT in the pineal.. However, even before picking up the book, in doing my own research on the subject, I've come across many conflicting statements, so of which I even remember reading in posts here.

So my question is: Is there any conclusive evidence that DMT is NOT produced in the pineal? Or is it all still just speculation?

If you can help me to understand this, please cite references if possible.

Thanks!
Embrace this moment, remember: We are eternal. All this pain is an illusion.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

clouds
#2 Posted : 10/14/2010 6:21:29 PM

Human

digital_phreedom
#3 Posted : 10/14/2010 6:47:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the reply.. I've already read most of those though.. And this is what confuses me:

"DMT is not produced by the pineal gland, because the mRNA sequence for indolethylamine N-methyltransferase (INMT) simply isn't present in the pineal gland. INMT is an enzyme that is needed to synthesize DMT. "

"ee that pathway that converts tryptamine to N-methyltryptamine? well, it's thought double-pass metabolism of tryptamine occurs to further convert it to DMT. see how it's a completely separate pathway from serotonin --> melatonin?
INMT (E.C. # 2.1.1.49) isn't expressed in the pineal gland, and i've yet to see any lit. that claims otherwise.

peripheral tissues are non neural-tissues; the currently accepted theory is that INMT is expressed in these (lung, adrenal, and muscle tissues). evidence for its expression in the brain is scant"

Sorry I'm being too lazy to give credit, but those quotes came directly from the threads you linked too..

Also, in the mythbusters thread The Travel listed pineal DMT production along with other myths.. The way I currently understand it is that pineal DMT production is still just a hypothesis. But I've read other ideas, and even seen some people say it's not possible.

That erowid article was very helpful though, so thank you.. So do I have it right then? DMT production in the pineal hasn't been proven, one way or the other? And there is currently no conclusive evidence that it is NOT produced there?
Embrace this moment, remember: We are eternal. All this pain is an illusion.

DJ_Truthseek
#4 Posted : 10/14/2010 8:13:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
So my question is: Is there any conclusive evidence that DMT is NOT produced in the pineal? Or is it all still just speculation?

If you can help me to understand this, please cite references if possible.

Yes. I'm pretty much where you are at only half way through the book. But I've done some digging to and that seems to be it. The ingredients(precursors) are there, and the enzymes are there. But under normal circumstances it doesn't make DMT. Even that is a bold statement.

Maybe it does in tiny unmeasurable amounts. Maybe there are certain conditions that could trigger it to produce DMT. But fortunately our favourite Author Rick Strassman is continuing his research to help answer these questions. http://cottonwoodresearch.org/news/node/4

So I guess we'll never know until they finish their research. 'DMT: The Spirit Molecule' movie is coming out this month and that is supposed to finance this research.
"Prying open my third eye."

"We are all one conciousness experiencing itself subjectively..."
Bill Hicks