We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Darrk Matter Thoughts Options

Cheeto
#1 Posted : 8/8/2010 5:17:43 PM
DMT-Nexus member

They say they can map out what dark matter looks like by gravity bending light, but the gravitational feild is always larger than the matter that makes it. Would you think it would be possible to account for that when trying to draw an image of dark matter clumps?

Like say you view the earth by its gravity feild, its feild is big compaired to its actual size, would there be a way, a formula you could use to caculate the size and shape of matter by the size and strength of its feild of gravity? Or have they already done that?
They say that shit floats, but mine sinks....why?? I guess i'm just into some heavy shit!

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

kyrolima
#2 Posted : 8/11/2010 12:18:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have no clue, wheater or not this procedure is possible anyway. If it is - then most likely our smart physics would have tried that one, too.

Rolling eyes
elusive illusion

#3 Posted : 8/12/2010 1:39:18 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

They need massive objects or sets of objects to detect the variations in light bend such as galaxy clusters. They use gravitational lensing which is caused by foreground matter bending incoming light from a distance. Then theres weak gravitational lensing meaning there are just ever so slight variations in light bend but these being a better route to follow due to their widespread nature throughout the unviverse. A very rough estimate on a mapping of dark matter but still a great move forward.

They still have a long way to go Smile

Enoon
#4 Posted : 8/17/2010 7:07:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Harm reduction, Analytical thinking

I would suspect that dark matter doesn't look like anything - the name implying that it is unseen and does not radiate at all. I would also suspect that it would be difficult to determine the size or shape of any kind of invisible object based solely on its gravitational pull, since gravity only depends on mass, not on size (well that's not entirely true, since mass would be distributed throughout the shape)...

I've heard a theory that dark matter wasn't matter at all but simply gravitation bleeding through from some quantum-parallel universe. I thought that was particularly whacky, and it came from a physics professor!

As far as I've understood it though (and that's not saying much), gravitational lenses are only one aspect of our universe where the existence of dark matter becomes evident. The shape of our galaxies could not, apparently, be explained without something like 90% more matter than what is visible. 90%! 90% of our universe is a gravitational distortion that we'd have to map out. And we haven't even begun to talk about dark energy...

mind boggling!
Buon viso a cattivo gioco!
---
The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook - A handbook for the safe and responsible use of entheogens.
---
mushroom-grow-help ::: energy conserving caapi extraction

Mindlusion
#5 Posted : 8/24/2010 6:10:49 PM

Chairman of the Celestial Divison

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

Enoon wrote:

I've heard a theory that dark matter wasn't matter at all but simply gravitation bleeding through from some quantum-parallel universe. I thought that was particularly whacky, and it came from a physics professor!

First DMT and now this!?!?
Expect nothing, Receive everything.
"Experiment and extrapolation is the only means the organic chemists (humans) currrently have - in contrast to "God" (and possibly R. B. Woodward). "
He alone sees truly who sees the Absolute the same in every creature...seeing the same Absolute everywhere, he does not harm himself or others. - The Bhagavad Gita
"The most beautiful thing we can experience, is the mysterious. The source of all true art and science."

#6 Posted : 8/24/2010 6:22:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Enoon wrote:
...apparently, be explained without something like 90% more matter than what is visible. 90%! 90% of our universe is a gravitational distortion that we'd have to map out. And we haven't even begun to talk about dark energy...

mind boggling!

It really is mind boggling! It is amazing to me that theories such as "gravitation bleeding through from some quantum-parallel universe" are now considered by (at least some) scientists, and yet exploring this type of provocative idea experientially with psychadelics is still seen as crazy by the mainstream.

I love marveling at the mystery of it all.
Oh great - the world has just been replaced by elf machinery.
Sic transit gloria mundi

Mindlusion
#7 Posted : 8/24/2010 7:41:01 PM

Chairman of the Celestial Divison

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

1664 wrote:

As do I. Its too bad our tiny human brains will never comprehend it.

At least in our lifetime.
Expect nothing, Receive everything.
"Experiment and extrapolation is the only means the organic chemists (humans) currrently have - in contrast to "God" (and possibly R. B. Woodward). "
He alone sees truly who sees the Absolute the same in every creature...seeing the same Absolute everywhere, he does not harm himself or others. - The Bhagavad Gita
"The most beautiful thing we can experience, is the mysterious. The source of all true art and science."

Cheeto
#8 Posted : 9/22/2010 1:14:13 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Dark matter has weird properties.....They observed two galaxies colliding, while the galaxies started there dance of swirling around eachother, the dark matter went straight through eachother withiout collision effects other thant gravity tugs(as far as i know). Now, if dark matter is all around us(some say 90% of matter around us is dark) and we can feel the effects of its gravity...then what happens in a situation of two galaxies colliding....if dark matter aids in the strength of gravity we feel up to 90%, what happens when we loose 90% of the gravity force we feel? Shouldn't objects of mass start sheding mass thats not bonded, mass thats only held by gravity?

One more question off topic.. i'm been trying to figure it out with lots of reading but still can't get a good answer.
If the photon is supose to be the electromagnetic force, (Electromagnetic Wave = A charged Photon), then how is it in an electromagnet you can create an electromagnetic feild with an electron, not needing a phonton at all?

Im sure i'll hear something like, the photon is not the electromagnetic force, but a carrier for the electromagnetic force. That being the case, what about the electron? The electron carries the same force properties, creates an electric & magnetic feild/force, so why would someone always say the photon is the carrier for EMForce rather than the photon & electron, or some subatomic particles are the carrier for the EMForce.

The Electrons are the electric force(meaning when you send electricity through a wire, you are using electrons, not photons. The Photons are the light force(Responsible for light, weather vissible or not), electrons cant carry light. Two different particles responsible for two different phenomena that both create EMFeilds yet anytime i hear what causes the EMForce all i haer is the photon without the mention of the electron....WHY?
They say that shit floats, but mine sinks....why?? I guess i'm just into some heavy shit!

Pokey
#9 Posted : 9/23/2010 4:08:43 AM

DMT-Nexus member

A photon is a "packet", or quantum of light. It is also the force carrier of electromagnetic radiation. It has no mass.
An electron is a sub-atomic particle that carries a negative charge (a proton carries a positive charge, and a neutron carries no charge; it is neutral) and does have mass.

Electromagnetic waves are not just light, but also radio waves, microwaves, X-rays etc.. The wavelength determines what type of wave it is. Radio waves have a long wavelength, X-rays very short.

I think you should find a new source of information about dark matter and dark energy.

Pokey

ElusiveMind
#10 Posted : 9/23/2010 5:57:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Its the ultimate universal battle between dark matter and dark energy it seems. From what I've learned, from a cool documentary on Discovery channel featuring Morgan Freeman Very happy , dark matter is a cosmic gravitational force that is trying to pull the universe together, while dark energy is pulling the universe apart. From what research, mainly the documentary Laughing , has shown though is that there is a great disturbance in the force (pun intended) of the universe and dark energy is accelerating the expansion of the universe while there is little resistance from dark matter.
It seems the universes ying/yang are off wack Confused
The Tea Party wrote:
We exist in a world where the fear of Illusion is real
And we cling to the past to deny and confuse the ideal

DMTripper wrote:
Bliss of ignorance -> pain of knowledge -> integrate -> bliss of knowledge.

SWIM and ElusiveMind are fictional characters and everything they say is fictional

Enoon
#11 Posted : 9/23/2010 6:11:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Harm reduction, Analytical thinking

But the expansion is good. Once the universe becomes spread out so thin that the vacuum between the clusters of matter is almost absolute, vacuum energy will create new universes!
Buon viso a cattivo gioco!
---
The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook - A handbook for the safe and responsible use of entheogens.
---
mushroom-grow-help ::: energy conserving caapi extraction

Saidin
#12 Posted : 9/23/2010 7:17:34 PM

Sun Dragon

Senior Member | Skills: Aquaponics, Channeling, Spirituality, Past Life Regression Hypnosis

Or...

Dark Matter and Dark Energy could be made up nonsense to keep gravatational cosmology relevant for longer (after 300+ years scientists still don't understand gravity).

I find it intriguing that 95% of the universe consists of things we have no evidence for...and instead of thinking about new ways the universe may be constructed (ie; creating new theories to match the observational data), they paste new ideas into the old paradigm to get it to continue to work (making invisible stuff up to fit into existing models).
What, you ask, was the beginning of it all?
And it is this...

Existence that multiplied itself
For sheer delight of being
And plunged into numberless trillions of forms
So that it might
Find
Itself
Innumerably.
-Sri Aubobindo

Saidin is a fictional character, and only exists in the collective unconscious. Therefore, we both do and do not exist. Everything is made up as we go along, and none of it is real.

polytrip
#13 Posted : 9/23/2010 11:42:38 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: A speck of dust in endless space, like everyone else.
Dark matter...hmmm. Maybe someone switched it off.

OutThereSomewhere
#14 Posted : 9/24/2010 6:02:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Mindlusion wrote:
1664 wrote:

As do I. Its too bad our tiny human brains will never comprehend it.

At least in our lifetime.

double ditto.

it's fascinating, though, the little fragment we can grasp-ish.

Ms. Munki
#15 Posted : 9/25/2010 1:42:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Cheeto wrote:
Dark matter has weird properties.....They observed two galaxies colliding, while the galaxies started there dance of swirling around eachother, the dark matter went straight through eachother withiout collision effects other thant gravity tugs(as far as i know). Now, if dark matter is all around us(some say 90% of matter around us is dark) and we can feel the effects of its gravity...then what happens in a situation of two galaxies colliding....if dark matter aids in the strength of gravity we feel up to 90%, what happens when we loose 90% of the gravity force we feel? Shouldn't objects of mass start sheding mass thats not bonded, mass thats only held by gravity?

another strange property of dark matter that scientists learned from the collision of the two galaxies is that dark matter does not interact with regular matter or other dark matter (for that matter). it acts as though it's not even there. yet it does have mass that aided in the creation of galaxies.

what i'm curious about is dark energy. if dark energy is indeed accelerating the expansion of the universe, thus "pulling apart" the universe, does that mean it will eventually pull apart our galaxy? solar system? will it eventually pull particles apart? because if so, that means, we'll all be pulled apart.

just be yourself... everyone else is already taken

UniverseXP
#16 Posted : 9/25/2010 3:15:31 AM

Roger

in house's book he talks about the idea that dark matter shows similarity to mycelium and what not..

you can check it out on page five in the book, heres the link to thethread where he has his pdf.
: )