We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
123NEXT»
Salvinorin A Extraction and Purification Options

gibran2
#1 Posted : 9/19/2010 5:30:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expertSenior Member

No – that’s not a photo of DMT. It’s 0.865g of relatively pure salvinorin A.

I had 320g of home-grown salvia leaf lying around, so I decided to extract and purify salvinorin A. It’s easy to extract salvinorin, but hard to purify it. I got a yield of 2.7mg/g, which is good (also means my indoor homegrown salvia has somewhere over 3mg/g salvinorin, which is above average Very happy ).

A strong dose of vaporized salvinorin A is about 1mg, so the amount in the photo is nearly 900 doses! Shocked (About a 100 year supply at my current rate of consumption.)
gibran2 attached the following image(s):
salvinorin.JPG (56kb) downloaded 3,234 time(s).
gibran2 is a fictional character. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

rOm
#2 Posted : 9/19/2010 5:36:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Generous yield that is ! Did you use naphta and IPA to purify the salvinorin cristal down ?
And chilled acetone as a puller of the actives ?
Smell like tea n,n spirit !

Toke the toke, and walk the walk !

gibran2
#3 Posted : 9/19/2010 5:37:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

rOm wrote:
Generous yiled that is ! Did you use naphta and IPA to purify the salvinorin cristal down ?
And chilled acetone as a puller of the actives ?

Yes, yes, and yes.
gibran2 is a fictional character. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

rOm
#4 Posted : 9/19/2010 5:45:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I try few salvia extraction with success but starting with low quantity of leaves I haven't had the patience to purify it to this point.
Also there are plenty of teks on the net (the most being from Sphere is I recall well), yet just the crude extraction method is on the wiki here.

I thought somebody could post a pictorial there _°_
Smell like tea n,n spirit !

Toke the toke, and walk the walk !

corpus callosum
#5 Posted : 9/19/2010 8:12:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

Good work indeed, Gibran2; you have yourself a criminally large stash there!!Laughing
I am paranoid of my brain. It thinks all the time, even when I'm asleep. My thoughts assail me. Murderous lechers they are. Thought is the assassin of thought. Like a man stabbing himself with one hand while the other hand tries to stop the blade. Like an explosion that destroys the detonator. I am paranoid of my brain. It makes me unsettled and ill at ease. Makes me chase my tail, freezes my eyes and shuts me down. Watches me. Eats my head. It destroys me.

sigmundfreuid
#6 Posted : 9/19/2010 8:31:39 PM
DMT-Nexus member

This is Jaw droppingShocked ,i wanna smoke some of that,did you use the erowid Pictorial tek ?

if not, would you mind sharing?Id sure love to try and extract some nice white looking Salvinorin A.
Swim is a figment of your imagination and he's a compulsive liar,thus everything he says is pure lies !

gibran2
#7 Posted : 9/19/2010 9:25:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

sigmundfreuid wrote:
This is Jaw droppingShocked ,i wanna smoke some of that,did you use the erowid Pictorial tek ?

if not, would you mind sharing?Id sure love to try and extract some nice white looking Salvinorin A.

Hmm… I’m not sure if I’d try to smoke it as is. Measuring a 1mg dose is hard to do when all you have is a cheap milligram scale (as I do). Maybe measure 16mg and divide in half 4 times?

I didn’t use the erowid TEK and I’d never use a TEK that uses a room-temp solvent for the initial extraction. You’ll extract very large amounts of waxes, oils, etc. that are very hard to remove.

Salvinorin A is very soluble in acetone, even when the acetone is at 0°F. Most of the lipids in the leaf (other than chlorophyll) are not very soluble in ice cold acetone. Also, salvinorin A is present on leaf surface and not inside cells, so it is easily removed without powdering leaves.

Here’s a summary of the TEK I use (thanks to Sphere) --

1. Start with 250g or more of crushed leaves. The more leaves used, the easier it is to limit loss.

2. In batches (I used batches of 30g each), cover leaves with 0°F acetone and agitate/stir for 1 minute. Pour off acetone through a very fine strainer. Repeat 2 more times. (An extraction requires 3 minutes!)

3. Allow collected acetone to settle for 24 hours in a dark area. There will be sediment at the bottom of your container. Siphon off as much acetone as possible, being careful not to disturb sediment. Discard sediment.

4. Allow acetone to evaporate in a dark, well-ventilated area. You will be left with a bright green powder – about 1g per 100g of leaf. This powder is about 2 parts chlorophyll to 1 part salvinorin A.

5. Chlorophyll is somewhat soluble in naphtha, salvinorin A is insoluble in naphtha. Collect powder, and add about 50mL naphtha per gram, mix well. Allow to settle for several hours or overnight. Much of the chlorophyll will dissolve in the naphtha.

6. Siphon off as much naphtha as possible, being careful not to disturb sediment – the sediment is salvinorin A. Discard used naphtha.

7. Repeat steps 5, 6 two or three times – until no more chlorophyll will dissolve.

8. Chlorophyll is very soluble in isopropyl alcohol, salvinorin A is slightly soluble (0.7mg/mL). This step will remove all remaining chlorophyll, but will reduce yield especially if you use IPA liberally. Add about 50mL 99% IPA to sediment from step 6. (This will result in a loss of 35mg salvinorin A, but will remove most of the chlorophyll.) Stir, then allow to settle.

9. Siphon off IPA and repeat step 8 two more times. (Save the IPA – you might be able to get some salvinorin A out of it if you evap. it all and then repeat step 8 with the results.)

10. Add about 100mL or more acetone to the sediment. Stir. The salvinorin A will dissolve completely, some insoluble material will remain. Allow sediment to settle.

11. Siphon off acetone and put it in an evaporation dish. Discard sediment.

Metanoia
#8 Posted : 9/23/2010 8:29:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Beautiful gibran. I use the exact same extraction process myself (Sphere's chilled acetone tek), and have also found that it only takes about 1 minute per pull. Incredibly quick and easy. I've never gone to the trouble of completely purifying it with naphtha and IPA though. I just don't really feel the need, and as you also stated, I only have a fairly cheap milligram scale which would make it difficult to accurately measure 1 mg doses. I'll admit however, that I've been thinking about completely purifying my next extraction and then redepositing onto leaf to achieve the cleanest extract possible. But I feel that my current methods are more than sufficient for my purposes (being personal use), and I don't like to work with naphtha (yuk). Is there any other way to purify without naphtha? I really can't stand the smell of that stuff, and also can't find any really pure naphtha. IPA isn't a problem, but I would love to find an alternative to naphtha that works just as well.

sigmundfreuid
#9 Posted : 9/23/2010 9:28:18 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Thank you gibran2 !Ive been wanting to do a Salvinorin a extraction tek for years now,and i can finally do it since it takes very little space and time!

Just found the tek in PDF but i think id rather follow your summary,too much reading in the original .
I also added a tek on how to infuse your Salvinorin A onto rolling papers

Enjoy.

Swim is a figment of your imagination and he's a compulsive liar,thus everything he says is pure lies !

gibran2
#10 Posted : 9/23/2010 1:59:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Dioxippus wrote:
...Is there any other way to purify without naphtha? I really can't stand the smell of that stuff, and also can't find any really pure naphtha. IPA isn't a problem, but I would love to find an alternative to naphtha that works just as well.

The naphtha step isn’t necessary at all. It’s there to get some of the chlorophyll out without any loss of salvinorin A. IPA can be used to remove all of the chlorophyll, but you’ll have slightly more loss because of the slight solubility of salvinorin A in IPA. My extraction used 3-50mL naphtha washes. Since the naphtha is siphoned off, and immediately followed with IPA washes, naphtha purity isn’t too important – it’s all removed with the IPA washes.

An effective IPA wash is about 20-30mL minimum. Any less than that and it will be hard to separate it from the small amount of salvinorin A, even with an eyedropper (which is what I used). So each IPA wash removes at least 20mg of salvinorin A. To get a very pure product may require 5 washes, for a minimum loss of 100mg. This is why larger extractions are preferred. For example, a 100g extraction will pull maybe 250mg sA, but you’ll lose 100mg, which is 40% loss. A large extraction, let’s say 500g will pull 1.25g or more sA. A loss of 100mg in this case represents a percentage loss of 8%.

The larger the extraction and the smaller the amount of IPA used, the higher the percent yield.

hyperspacing
#11 Posted : 9/23/2010 3:40:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Wow that is a scary amount lol. Congratz
-Close your eyes, See the light, and feel the sunshine in the shade

~All views, ideas and opinions of this user are strictly fictional and in no way represent an act done in reality.

sigmundfreuid
#12 Posted : 9/23/2010 4:08:48 PM
DMT-Nexus member

gibran2, may i ask why do you do 30 g batches as stated in the tek summary ?

gibran2
#13 Posted : 9/23/2010 4:31:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

sigmundfreuid wrote:
gibran2, may i ask why do you do 30 g batches as stated in the tek summary ?

I use a small 2-cup Bodum French coffee press to do my extractions (all glass and metal – no plastic). It only conveniently holds 30g. It also allows for quick straining/transfer of the acetone so that it doesn’t warm up too much. The amount you can extract at a time depends on the equipment you have available.

And remember – you have to allow the acetone to settle and then evaporate, and I used almost a gallon of acetone. I don’t have sufficient equipment or ventilation to allow that volume of acetone to evaporate all at once.

sigmundfreuid
#14 Posted : 9/23/2010 8:33:45 PM
DMT-Nexus member

And what is your method of dosing the refined Salvinorin A ? Or its the same as the pdf i attached to my thread ?

Thanks for your help!

gibran2
#15 Posted : 9/23/2010 8:48:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

sigmundfreuid wrote:
And what is your method of dosing the refined Salvinorin A ? Or its the same as the pdf i attached to my thread ?

Thanks for your help!

Dosing? I’ve never given any thought to actually dosing. Smile

Maybe I’ll try a milligram or so in my GVG.

(I have many grams of home-grown and extracted 20X, so I wasn’t really planning on using it – I was just curious about purity and yield. My salvia grows much faster than I’m able – or willing – to consume it.)

sigmundfreuid
#16 Posted : 9/23/2010 9:07:07 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Well then ,if you ever think of trying it,just download the "Salvinorin infused rolling paper"Pdf.
It makes dosing with pure Salvinorin A really easy.

Metanoia
#17 Posted : 9/24/2010 3:25:38 AM

DMT-Nexus member

gibran2 wrote:
The naphtha step isn’t necessary at all. It’s there to get some of the chlorophyll out without any loss of salvinorin A. IPA can be used to remove all of the chlorophyll, but you’ll have slightly more loss because of the slight solubility of salvinorin A in IPA. My extraction used 3-50mL naphtha washes. Since the naphtha is siphoned off, and immediately followed with IPA washes, naphtha purity isn’t too important – it’s all removed with the IPA washes.

An effective IPA wash is about 20-30mL minimum. Any less than that and it will be hard to separate it from the small amount of salvinorin A, even with an eyedropper (which is what I used). So each IPA wash removes at least 20mg of salvinorin A. To get a very pure product may require 5 washes, for a minimum loss of 100mg. This is why larger extractions are preferred. For example, a 100g extraction will pull maybe 250mg sA, but you’ll lose 100mg, which is 40% loss. A large extraction, let’s say 500g will pull 1.25g or more sA. A loss of 100mg in this case represents a percentage loss of 8%.

The larger the extraction and the smaller the amount of IPA used, the higher the percent yield.

I was thinking that myself, but just wasn't sure. I haven't tried purifying with IPA because of the loss of yield, but when my plants start getting bigger and produce more and more leaf, I think I'll give it a shot without the naphtha at all.

Another question for you: Any tips on growing Salvia? It sounds like your leaf is extremely potent.
gibran2 wrote:
I use a small 2-cup Bodum French coffee press to do my extractions (all glass and metal – no plastic). It only conveniently holds 30g. It also allows for quick straining/transfer of the acetone so that it doesn’t warm up too much. The amount you can extract at a time depends on the equipment you have available.

And remember – you have to allow the acetone to settle and then evaporate, and I used almost a gallon of acetone. I don’t have sufficient equipment or ventilation to allow that volume of acetone to evaporate all at once.

Funny, I was thinking of using a french coffee press myself. I'm not a coffee drinker so I don't already have one, but I had been toying with the idea of picking one up for extractions such as these. I'm definitely going to do so now! Smile

gibran2
#18 Posted : 9/24/2010 4:02:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Dioxippus wrote:
I was thinking that myself, but just wasn't sure. I haven't tried purifying with IPA because of the loss of yield, but when my plants start getting bigger and produce more and more leaf, I think I'll give it a shot without the naphtha at all.
Another question for you: Any tips on growing Salvia? It sounds like your leaf is extremely potent.

Chlorophyll seems to be VERY soluble in IPA, so it doesn’t take much IPA to get it all out.

My actual cleaning TEK was slightly more involved than I described: After my IPA washes, I dissolved the sediment in acetone and let it settle. There was a surprising amount of insoluble gunk. I removed the acetone and let it evaporate (steps 10, 11). The resultant product was still very pale green, so I did one more IPA wash, then added acetone (still a bit more insoluble stuff settled out), removed the acetone, evaporated, and got the product shown. (I did steps 9-11 twice, with only one IPA wash the second time).

Salvia grows like a weed for me. I use Miracle Grow Moisture Control potting soil, keep the plants indoors in bright indirect light (only about 1 hour of direct sun early in the morning), and keep the soil moist. Nothing else. From unrooted cutting to mature plant takes 4 months, at which time I harvest the entire plant (taking cuttings as desired). My largest plant (grown this spring) produced 70g of dried leaves.

I don’t drink coffee either – the coffee press is just for salvia extractions! Smile

Metanoia
#19 Posted : 9/24/2010 11:19:44 AM

DMT-Nexus member

gibran2 wrote:
Chlorophyll seems to be VERY soluble in IPA, so it doesn’t take much IPA to get it all out.

My actual cleaning TEK was slightly more involved than I described: After my IPA washes, I dissolved the sediment in acetone and let it settle. There was a surprising amount of insoluble gunk. I removed the acetone and let it evaporate (steps 10, 11). The resultant product was still very pale green, so I did one more IPA wash, then added acetone (still a bit more insoluble stuff settled out), removed the acetone, evaporated, and got the product shown. (I did steps 9-11 twice, with only one IPA wash the second time).

Salvia grows like a weed for me. I use Miracle Grow Moisture Control potting soil, keep the plants indoors in bright indirect light (only about 1 hour of direct sun early in the morning), and keep the soil moist. Nothing else. From unrooted cutting to mature plant takes 4 months, at which time I harvest the entire plant (taking cuttings as desired). My largest plant (grown this spring) produced 70g of dried leaves.

I don’t drink coffee either – the coffee press is just for salvia extractions! Smile

Thanks for letting me (and anyone else interested in salvinorin A extraction) know the entire process of refinement. I still think I'll give this a try when I have enough leaf to not be so disappointed by loss of yield.

This is my first go at growing Salvia and any advice is much appreciated! I also was thinking of harvesting the way you mentioned, by taking cuttings and making sure they were on their way before harvesting the entire mature plant. 70g of dried leaves for one plant is outstanding! I can only hope to get as much from one of my babies.

Pay day was yesterday, and I think I'm going to go out today and find myself a french coffee press Very happy

Phlux-
#20 Posted : 9/24/2010 11:31:27 AM

The Root

Chemical expertSenior Member

has anyone tried this on salvia splendens for salvianorin c ?
antrocles wrote:
...purity of intent....purity of execution....purity of experience...

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:
‹Jorkest› the wall is impenetrable as far as i can tell

Quote:
‹xtechre› cheese is great

He who packs ur capsules - controls your destiny.

123NEXT»