We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Antiprohibitionist Republican Gary Johnson Options

blue_velvet
#1 Posted : 9/19/2010 7:40:42 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I learned of Gary Johnson, a libertarian leaning republican candidate for president in 2012. He is against the drug war and has potential for Tea Party support (which could be a deciding factor if they do.) It's still way too early for me to commit to his cause, but he apparently did good work in New Mexico, supports states rights, and sees drugs as a health issue not a criminal one. I would suggest looking into him.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Shayku
#2 Posted : 9/19/2010 7:42:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ah yes, the famous "DMT vote" should tip the scales. I'm joking of course. I'd be surprised to learn that a lot of people here are republican. Could make for an interesting poll though.
SWIM is Spartacus!

The things posted on DMT-Nexus by Shayku are generally false. They are for entertainment purposes only.

blue_velvet
#3 Posted : 9/20/2010 12:05:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Shayku wrote:
Ah yes, the famous "DMT vote" should tip the scales. I'm joking of course. I'd be surprised to learn that a lot of people here are republican. Could make for an interesting poll though.

Forgive me, but I don't follow. "DMT vote?" do you mean as in a pun: DMTea. Perhaps I'm not being perceptive.

Shayku
#4 Posted : 9/20/2010 4:03:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm just being ironic and cynical (at the same time!) with the idea that he may be pandering to get the DMT community on his side to get more votes or that you might be trying to help that. It's an absurd thought of course, because the entheogenic community at large is certainly not one politicians look to for votes, let alone republican politicians. Our community is not one that is recognized as having much weight in society.
SWIM is Spartacus!

The things posted on DMT-Nexus by Shayku are generally false. They are for entertainment purposes only.

Apoc
#5 Posted : 9/20/2010 7:31:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Shayku wrote:

LOL! THe dmt vote. The thing is, when you say Republican, that depends on the definition of the word. Lately, more people seem to be saying that republicans have lost their identity. That republicans go against the values they were supposed to support all along. Many are saying that the Sarah Palins of the world are not "republicans".

If a republican actually acts in accordance with what they are purported to stand for, then I'd vote "Republican". Otherwise, all I think of when I think of Republican is...

no taxes.
Immigrants gtfo.
Jesus.
Keep the rich getting richer, poor getting poorer.
More government spending on militant control.
More severe jail sentences for all.

I believe drug laws are by far the most serious government enforced human rights violation issue in North America. The right to choose what to do with your own body should be a basic human right. This isn't even the same issue as abortion. The problem with abortion is you have people disagreeing whether a fetus counts as an individual or not. No one would be against abortion if everyone agreed that a fetus is just another part of a woman's body that can be removed like a mole. The drug issue has no such confusing factor. Currently, people simply do not have the basic right to do as they choose with their own body. Any politician who has the balls to actually do something about the drug issue, I would vote for. If the war on drugs would cease, America could finally call itself the land of the free.

pau
#6 Posted : 9/20/2010 8:44:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Interesting....
during the 80's and 90's George Schultz, Milton Friedman and William Buckley all came out in one way or another in favor of "drug legalization" based on conservative Republican principles...though Barry Goldwater beat them to it at least 10 years earlier.

Now we have Palins, Falwells and Robertsons saying the exact opposite.

Looks like something happened to the Republican party.

BTW, Jocelyn Elders, Clinton's Surgeon General once hinted that drug legalization ought to be looked at, and she found herself tied up in a closet the next day. However, she didn't lose her job over it ... Clinton ultimately fired her for supporting masturbation.

Did anybody ever see the (unfortunately X-rated) cult classic "Tricia's Wedding", in which Eartha Kitt spikes the wedding punch at a certain white-colored house with a well known trytamine? We can only dream...

WHOA!

blue_velvet
#7 Posted : 9/21/2010 12:39:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Apoc wrote:
[quote=Shayku]Ah yes, the famous "DMT vote" should tip the scales. I'm joking of course. I'd be surprised to learn that a lot of people here are republican. Could make for an interesting poll though.

LOL! THe dmt vote. The thing is, when you say Republican, that depends on the definition of the word. Lately, more people seem to be saying that republicans have lost their identity. That republicans go against the values they were supposed to support all along. Many are saying that the Sarah Palins of the world are not "republicans".

If a republican actually acts in accordance with what they are purported to stand for, then I'd vote "Republican". Otherwise, all I think of when I think of Republican is...

no taxes.
Immigrants gtfo.
Jesus.
Keep the rich getting richer, poor getting poorer.
More government spending on militant control.
More severe jail sentences for all.
quote]

I actually have a friend who is Republican and he's up on all of that. He speaks of RINOs (Republicans in Name Only) and how the party is recovering its lost roots and trying to get these people out of office. The Tea Party movement is aiming in this direction (smaller government) and people like Ron Paul and Gary Johnson are certainly about REAL conservative values. Sarah Palin on the other hand is a fountain of disinformation and lies so there will be some major strife within the party.