We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
new to smoking spice and wanting to build a machine - your advice please Options

proto-pax
#1 Posted : 9/10/2010 9:07:06 PM

bird-brain

Whatever you choose to use, make sure to preburn it to prevent inhaling any fumes that would come off with heat. I don't think this effects copper scrubbers, but some steel wool swim was using had particles coming off when all swim did was scrunch it up. Swim is scared of what would have happened if he had decided to use that.
blooooooOOOOOooP fzzzzzzhm KAPOW!
This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking.
Grow a plant or something and meditate on that

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Rollenberg
#2 Posted : 9/11/2010 5:44:20 AM
DMT-Nexus member

some kinds of copper wire have a coating on them to prevent oxidization (rust), i dont know if it would be safe to smoke or not. If you are still waiting for your spice to be ready to smoke, take a day off from sitting around scrounging for parts, and go to a store, any store at all that sells good will probably have something that is tried and true to use to make a smoking apperatus
"Every facet, every compartment of your mind is to be programmed by you; if you don’t take the responsibility to program your own mind, the world will program it for you."

Trickster
#3 Posted : 9/14/2010 5:44:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

curious1 wrote:
okay you were right works stainless steel heavy duty scourer works much better....thanks

Actually multithreaded copper wire should work as well if not better. If it is taken from a piece of flexible electric cable then most probably individual threads are not covered with insulating layer of plastic. You can see that looking at the wire. Pre-burn it to be on the safe side.

Some cables are made from lots of very thin individual threads, so a wad of them same size as made of steel scourer will have much bigger surface area. This is important for efficient vaporisation and preventing run-offs.

Copper is much more pliable and could be compressed into a ball of any density. Copper also is a very good heat conductor (better than steel), so there will be less chance of overheating and burning the spice.
Do not seek the truth, just drop your opinions.

Trickster
#4 Posted : 9/14/2010 9:21:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

curious1 wrote:
yeah I did initially use multithread copper wire. And preburned it too..

It did seem to make a denser heat trap. What I didnt enjoy was the way some of those thin threads - especially the ends of the thread - melted when burning off any possible coating.

Melted copper is not a problem when pre-burning. This is WAY above the spice m.p. Copper melts at ~1000C. If you heat your copper wire wad to 1000C when vaporizing your spice it will be long gone before copper starts melting. There is no need to heat it so much.

curious1 wrote:
On a toxicity level I would rather be inhaling steel than copper. Copper can build up in your system and create nerve problems.

This seems to be more relevant for Aluminum. On the contrary - "Since copper is actively excreted by the normal body, chronic copper toxicosis in humans without a genetic defect in copper handling has not been demonstrated.[42]" (c) Wikipedia. Actually Iron (a major component of any steel) poses a greater risk. But with vaporization temps around few hundreds deg. C, these problems are noneexistent.

curious1 wrote:
If I were to use it I would find a medium thickness copper wire that would have less chance of burning..

Try a heat gun for vaporization and there will be no more burnt or overheated spice, let alone melt copper.

DiMiTriX
#5 Posted : 9/15/2010 2:53:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

near home where swim lives,has been found skulls of people that cooked theire meals with copper pots and shit..!! they had very greeen almost blue area on the nape!Rolling eyes Shocked
funny to see,but wouldn't be funny anymore if i would discover mine is green too...lolConfused
Tz'is aná

Trickster
#6 Posted : 9/15/2010 10:24:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

DiMiTriX wrote:
near home where swim lives,has been found skulls of people that cooked theire meals with copper pots and shit..!! they had very greeen almost blue area on the nape!Rolling eyes Shocked
funny to see,but wouldn't be funny anymore if i would discover mine is green too...lolConfused

Beware, these days lots of household water-supply pipes are made of copperWink .