We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
a new way to seperate your layers Options

electrolunchbox
#1 Posted : 9/1/2010 3:19:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

hello all i have figures out a cheep way to seperate you fluids with out having a sloppy mess and having to buy an expensive sep-funnle. what i have beed doing is drinking a lot of quart jugs of milk/oj lately and been saving them up to use to extract. what the cool thing is they are hdpe! and when full they can be sqeezed to let the top layer to flow off. also you can poke a small hole in the botom of the jug with it sitting in somthing for it to catch you mimosa base solution and right be for the solovent get too low move it to some thing to catch it and repeat till you get the base solution all gone!!!! also i have been lookning fot a cheep pipet and no sucsses! well my spice is amazing and i love it!!!!!!!!!! so off to hyper space!
these post are excerpts from the daily life of a madman. One thinks that thought should be left alone......

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Global
#2 Posted : 9/1/2010 1:05:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Music, LSDMT, Egyptian Visions, DMT: Energetic/Holographic Phenomena, Integration, Trip Reports

If you use the hydrated lime (calcium hydroxide) as your base, the mix is a solid (of sorts) and the naptha cleanly and easily pours out without much effort
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind" - Albert Einstein

"The Mighty One appears, the horizon shines. Atum appears on the smell of his censing, the Sunshine- god has risen in the sky, the Mansion of the pyramidion is in joy and all its inmates are assembled, a voice calls out within the shrine, shouting reverberates around the Netherworld." - Egyptian Book of the Dead

"Man fears time, but time fears the Pyramids" - 9th century Arab proverb

jmaxton
#3 Posted : 9/1/2010 6:51:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I've used some 'inventive' methods for separation in the past, but a good 1000ml sep funnel is well worth the $40 it costs in terms of exacting your technique. I grabbed one from http://secure.sciencecom...atory-Funnels-C2613.aspx and then built a stand for around $8 from hardware store parts. Best investment I've made, especially for A/Bs.

Just to be clear, I don't work for The Science Company but I've had good experiences buying from them.

-JM

CosmicFool
#4 Posted : 9/2/2010 9:31:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

What I've used to do was to get a few 1 liter ziplock bags (or bigger/smaller, depending on the amount of liquids), mix everything in them and wait for the layers to form, then over a jar or some other container cut a small piece out of the bottom corner of the ziplock bag and just drain the bottom layer fluids away.

Im not sure will the ziplock bags be able to handle lye or acetone containing solutions though Wut?
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.

CosmicFool is a fictional character, a creation of imagination, and everything written above should not be taken seriously, or perhaps read at all.

poorfish
#5 Posted : 9/11/2010 5:55:32 AM

hahaha

Quote:
Im not sure will the ziplock bags be able to handle lye or acetone containing solutions though Wut?

DEFINITELY NOT!!!

Please please please nobody EVER EVER put a solution of caustic chemicals (ESPECIALLY LYE) into a ziploc bag for separation!!! (if you like having skin on your hands)

Lye solutions have been known to eat through the bottoms/walls of MASON JARS Please don't ever think it's ok to put something like that into a plastic bag!!

-poorfish
Hello there Nexian Newcomers! (like me!) Learn how to ASK QUESTIONS THAT WILL GET ANSWERED! (Or at least are more likely to be answered) ***Click Here***

"That is ridiculous. Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, gobbling magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc 1989

E has the ability to change the way people look at the world and not always for the best...."PLUR" ( hahahaha). The world is not what E makes it to be. I know plenty of "Old School" ravers that roll. They just don't do it in that ugly "cuddle puddle, "God I love You, We'll be soul mates for ever, this is the best music I've EVER heard, can I touch you?????" Kinda way. [size=6]Every drug is best with moderation.
-J0rdan

The night before: "nang nang nang nang nang"
Morning after: "clang clang clang clang clang"

DiMiTriX
#6 Posted : 9/11/2010 11:37:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

theorically lye shouldn't eat plastic bags,maybe naphta and apolar solvents should.. anyway i say you that i often moist my hands of lye solutions many times and nothing happened,just wash fast and well your hands.. and when i was a stupid kid i picked chunks of lye directly from the lye's can with my bare hands without damage Shocked haha this is stupid i know,and i say you don't try this at home but i think that the dangerous of some corrosive chemichals are a bit of hype.
i moisted my hands with diluted and concentrate sulphuric acid and no dmg if you go to tap.Wink

nitric is more corrosive and muriatic too if concentrated,diluted not so much. concentrated ammonia and h202 is a bit annoying if concentrated too.

What i'm trying to say is don't have too much scare of chemicals,a bit of scare is good, especially for your eyes, and glasses are always good thing, i don't like gloves couse it's more difficult to work with them and couse my hands would be more damaged by them that by the chemicals (secret is..don't moist your hands with chemicals!). it's like when somebody doing nitroglycerine is overscared by it and shiving will risk to drop all on the floor lol
Tz'is aná

WSaged
#7 Posted : 9/11/2010 4:24:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

electrolunchbox wrote:
also i have been lookning fot a cheep pipet and no sucsses!

Go to a perfume/makeup store, or a walgreens or something (...internet?) & ask for eye droppers!
They come in small to pretty big sizes.

Or get a pipette & a pipette pump!!
Set of 5 Mohr's pipettes = 12.70
10ml pump = 7.50

Whole page of em!

Love things that make my life easier!!

WS
All posts are fictional short stories depicting the adventures of WSaged!! None of these events have actually happened and any resemblance to any real persons or incidents is totally coincidence!!!!!!!!!!!!

d*l*b
#8 Posted : 9/11/2010 5:36:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I’ve been working with the milk jug with a hole at the bottom as a ghetto sep funnel for some time. Only good for a single use really (at least the way I have been working) but works very well.

It is important to note when using this type of ghetto sep funnel that the flow of liquid out of the bottom can be quite erratic. Watch yourselves! Pay extra attention and ensure you are wearing protective gear.

Another possible source for cheap pipettes you might like to look in is art supply shops.
D × V × F > R

DoingKermit
#9 Posted : 9/11/2010 6:33:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I found some pipettes at my local garden shop.

poorfish
#10 Posted : 9/11/2010 9:10:36 PM

hahaha

Quote:
haha this is stupid i know,and i say you don't try this at home but i think that the dangerous of some corrosive chemichals are a bit of hype

Isn't the point of this forum (among other things...) "harm reduction"?

So what happens when someone reads the post and thinks "hmm separatory funnel = $$$$, plastic bag = nothing" and pours a strong base solution into a ziploc for separation and it melts through the bag all over their hands/body?? (If they're using a ziploc sep funnel, you can bet they aren't wearing gloves or an apron BTW).

Warnings about the caustic natures of various chemicals are not "hyped up," they are strongly worded because for every person who tried to warn potential idiots; for every well-written warning, there are 10 posts from people saying "Oh yeah, I did that once, and I didn't die you'll be fine."
Hello there Nexian Newcomers! (like me!) Learn how to ASK QUESTIONS THAT WILL GET ANSWERED! (Or at least are more likely to be answered) ***Click Here***

"That is ridiculous. Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, gobbling magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc 1989

E has the ability to change the way people look at the world and not always for the best...."PLUR" ( hahahaha). The world is not what E makes it to be. I know plenty of "Old School" ravers that roll. They just don't do it in that ugly "cuddle puddle, "God I love You, We'll be soul mates for ever, this is the best music I've EVER heard, can I touch you?????" Kinda way. [size=6]Every drug is best with moderation.
-J0rdan

The night before: "nang nang nang nang nang"
Morning after: "clang clang clang clang clang"

jimm
#11 Posted : 9/11/2010 10:09:33 PM
DMT-Nexus member

the science company is cool, I got a 1000ml sep funnel that I love plus the stand, clamp and beaker for cheap on ebay.

also at Maya you can get a free disposable pipette with order.

DiMiTriX
#12 Posted : 9/12/2010 9:40:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

bag wouldn't melt by NaOH and i said chemichals like sulphuric acid and lye is not true they boil on your hand digging it, they're armfull but if you wash your hand fast almost anything will happen to it.
Tz'is aná

d*l*b
#13 Posted : 9/12/2010 12:51:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Whilst small amounts of NaOH are unlikely to do much serious damage to your skin it is not a reason to stop being cautious. NaOH is dangerous. It is easy and reasonably cheap to get decent protection. It is easy to work whilst wearing protective gear.

https://dmt-nexus.me/for...aspx?g=posts&t=14486

Please people be sensible!

If you don’t believe in using what are generally accepted safety precautions please keep it to yourself.

D × V × F > R

heavenlypursuit
#14 Posted : 9/12/2010 9:44:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

^^^^^ Very true
Gloves and goggles are not expensive, it only seems logical to take precautions to protect your body. Just because you got away without any repercussions now, does not mean an accident isn't waiting to happen later. First time I worked with lye, I was shaking like a leaf thinking about the nasty things it could do to me. At this point, I never use lye anymore. Too much of a pain to find, and there are plenty of other bases that work just as well, if not better.

The Traveler
#15 Posted : 9/12/2010 10:32:46 PM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

DiMiTriX wrote:
bag wouldn't melt by NaOH and i said chemichals like sulphuric acid and lye is not true they boil on your hand digging it, they're armfull but if you wash your hand fast almost anything will happen to it.

When things go wrong, they can go wrong badly. For example lye dripping out of a zip lock bag (damaged by solvents eating away the plastic) and then having the lye splashing into your eye. I guess you will feel pretty stupid when you have to explain to other people that you got blind in one eye because you used a cheap zip lock bad without wearing any eye protection thinking you 'could wash it off your hands'. Rolling eyes

Zip lock bags aren't made of HDPE but from plastics that can be eaten away by the solvents we use for our extractions. Not only is it dangerous for leaking spills but we also have the worrying fact that these plastics could end up in our final extraction! Smoking plastic is VERY bad and you should do anything to prevent that. Making statements like "I did something stupid and got away with it" doesn't change the fact that you did something stupid to begin with.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

mumbles
#16 Posted : 9/14/2010 4:52:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Looks like this is just natural selection waiting to happen..