We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
successfully xtracted bufo freebase? Options

flyboy
#1 Posted : 8/13/2008 12:49:23 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Before swim wastes a whole bunch of time and money, can somebody let him know if they've actually been succeful with yopo extraction into freebase and if it was as hallunogenic as swim imagines?

Swim tried to smoke 1 single seed in a spliff and saw pretty good cev, so could only imagine something like pure smokeable bufo freebase extract would be both easy to make and also quite a solid experience worth the effort.

There is not enough info from people other than those who lived on erowid 5 years ago and a few people who talk about success here on the nexus, but without further detailed discussion.

Greatly appreciated!

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Noman
#2 Posted : 8/13/2008 6:53:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Not freebase, but smokable calcium bufotenate.
http://www.dmt-nexus.me/....aspx?g=posts&t=1934

69ron
#3 Posted : 8/13/2008 9:29:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIM has tried many different extraction techs for bufotenine and has invented a few of his own.

If looking for the most pure results, the best most reliable tech is published by Jonathan Ott. That one is found here: http://www.erowid.org/ar...oran_desert_toad/ott.htm

Here are the details from Ott’s tech:
Quote:

ISOLATION AND PURIFICATION OF BUFOTENINE FREE-BASE

Coarse-ground powder of 125g of seeds of A. colubrina var. Cebil was stirred twice for eight hours in 500 ml of 96% ethanol 1% tartaric acid, the combined filtrates concentrated to 150 ml and diluted with 200 ml water in a separatory-funnel, causing precipitation of considerable fat. The pH was adjusted to 3-4 with concentrated hydrochloric acid, and the solution defatted by shaking six times with chloroform, which was set aside. The defatted extract was basified to pH 8-9 with ammonium hydroxide, then again extracted eight times with 200 ml chloroform; the combined chloroform extracts were concentrated to a foamy, yellowish oil that dissolved completely in 50 ml hot ethyl acetate, then concentrated to 15 ml and refrigerated overnight. In the morning there were a brace of minuscule rosettes of dark-brownish crystals growing at the base of the flask, which was alternated between periods under refrigeration and standing unstoppered at room temperature during 48 hours, leading to the formation of large masses (some greater than 1cm) of dark-brownish, prismatic crystals. The mother-liquor was decanted and the crystalline mass rinsed with cold ethyl acetate dried over magnesium sulfate, then dried under reduced pressure to yield 4.1 g of large, free-flowing, sparkling brownish crystals. These were twice recrystallized from dry ethyl acetate, yielding 3.87 g of off-white bufotenine free-base crystals (3. 10%), m.p. 125-126° C. Despite loss of chromophores on recrystallizations, the melting point remained 124-126°. Six reports of isolated bufotenine free-base, from Amanita citrina (Schaef.) Gray (Agaricaceae) (Wieland & Motzel 1953) and Anadenanthera species (Rendón 1984; lacobucci & Rdveda 1964; Pachter, Zacharias & Ribeiro 1959; Alvares Pereira 1957; Stromberg 1954-yields reported were from 0.94-7.4% for A. peregrina to 0.5-2.1 % for A. colubrina), disclosed two crystalline isoforms from ethyl acetate, one melting from [123-]124-126[-129]° C, the other 146-147[-150]° C. Two reports of synthetic material disclosed a third isoform, with melting points of 138-140° C (Stoll et al. 1955); and again 146-147° C (Speeter & Anthony 1954). In all cases involving the lower-melting-point isoforms, repeated purification did not alter the melting point, although Iacobucci and Rdveda (1964), upon seeding a recrystallization-solution of their lower melting point isoform (123-124° C) with crystals having m.p. 146-147° C, got only crystals of the latter type, which operation was not reversible. By manipulating conditions of recrystallization from ethyl acetate, I was able to generate crystals melting at 145-147° C, and confirmed Iacobucci and RtIveda's observation. DMT free-base from hexane likewise exists as at least three isoforms, melting points from 44-74° C having been reported, and Fish, Johnson and Horning (1956) replicated the irreversible transformation of a lower-melting-point isoform (47-49° C) into a higher-melting-point isoform (71-73° C). Identity and purity of isolated bufotenine were verified by mass-spectral analysis and thin-layer chromatographic comparison with an authentic sample in several solvent systems.

That one works very well but is a lot of trouble. It unfortunately uses solvents that are hard to come by for most people. However, there are many substitutes available. DCM or ether can be substituted for chloroform. 91% isopropyl alcohol can be substituted for 95% ethanol. Citric acid can be substituted for both tartaric acid and hydrochloric acid.

Actually any standard A/B tech can be modified to work with bufotenine. For the initial extraction, water, ethanol, or isopropyl alcohol works fine and the pH should be 3-4. The non-polar solvent should be DCM, ether, or chloroform, and not naphtha, xylene, or heptane. Many have tried room temperature naphtha, and it doesn’t work. Room temperature xylene or heptane also does not seem to work for extracting bufotenine. As far as I know, no one has tried hot naphtha, xylene or heptane. When freebasing, the pH should be 8-10, 11 and higher are not recommended because bufotenine is found to be unstable in high pH. To freeze precipitate freebase bufotenine, ethyl acetate has been shown to be very effective.

Here are the basic extraction steps from SWIM:

Quote:
1) Initial acidic solvent extraction.
Here you can boil 1000 mg of citric acid with 100 grams of coarsely ground A. colubrina seeds in 500 ml of water (or 91% isopropyl alcohol, or 91%-95% ethanol) for about 15 minutes. Filter out the seeds, and save the liquid. Then repeat 2 more times using the same seeds and new water each time.

Now you have bufotenine citrate and a bunch of other junk.

2) Concentrate the liquid
Here we boil the liquid down to about 250 ml. There’s no need to add any acid.

3) Defat
Carefully shake or mix the liquid with 100 ml DCM (or chloroform, or ether) in a sepa separatory funnel. Lots of yellowish fat will go into the DCM layer (which is below the water layer). Remove the DCM layer containing the fat. Repeat 6-9 more times with fresh DCM until the DCM is nearly clear (very faintly light yellow).

4) Freebase Extraction
Adjust the pH to 8-10. This can be easily done by adding sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), ammonia, or sodium carbonate. Don’t bring the pH much higher than 11 or it will start to destroy the bufotenine.

Carefully shake or mix the liquid with 100 ml DCM (or chloroform, or ether) in a sepa separatory funnel. Lots of impure amber colored alkaloids will go into the DCM. Remove the DCM containing the amber colored alkaloids and save it. Repeat 6-9 more times with fresh DCM until the DCM is nearly clear (very faintly light yellow).

Distill off most of the DCM (or evaporate it) down to 50 ml. Evaporate off the remaining DCM at room temperature to avoid destroying any alkaloids.

At this point you have a crude amber alkaloid extract that is either solid or more often slightly sticky. This is highly active at 10 mg. About 50-80% of this is freebase bufotenine with the remaining being a mix of nearly a dozen other alkaloids. It can be smoked as is. The effects vary slightly from batch to batch because it’s not completely pure at this point. The impurities are responsible for most of the unpleasant side effects felt from smoking the crude alkaloid extract. As the main impurities, a crude alkaloid extract of A. colubrina contains lots of bufotenine N-Oxide (which isn’t very hallucinogenic), serotonin, a few beta-carbolines, and other relatively unknown alkaloids. Sometimes it is reported to contain small amounts of DMT, 5-MeO-DMT, and their N-Oxides. Most people have found that the DMT and 5-MeO-DMT are either not present or present in extremely small amounts. However, A. peregrina can contain large amounts of DMT and 5-MeO-DMT and little or no bufotenine and shouldn’t be used with this extraction tech. Unfortunately, A. colubrina seeds and A. peregrina seeds are often mis-identified, and usually vendors offering both A. peregrina and A. colubrina seeds are actually just offering large and small varieties of A. colubrina seeds. Very few vendors offer real A. peregrina seeds. A. peregrina is less plentiful and more expensive than A. colubrina.

5) Freeze precipitation of freebase bufotenine in ethyl acetate
This step is done to purify the bufotenine, removing most of the amber/brownish material that is responsible for most of the unpleasant side effects off the amber alkaloid extract.

Dissolve the amber alkaloid mix in 50 ml of hot ethyl acetate. Concentrate down to 10-12 ml and refrigerate overnight. Dark amber or brownish crystals of freebase bufotenine will form. Carefully pour off the ethyl acetate while ice cold. Repeat this step until the bufotenine is off-white or very light amber.

The main problem is obtaining the ethyl acetate to freeze precipitate the bufotenine. SWIM tried freeze precipitating bufotenine in many other solvents and was very unsuccessful. SWIM tried acetone, MEK, DCM, isopropyl alcohol, ethanol, ether, and none worked.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

atheistpeace
#4 Posted : 8/14/2008 12:45:28 AM
DMT-Nexus member

interesting work, 69ron. how would swiy compare the effects to spice? SWIY should submit a report to erowid since there is a lack of reports. the one report on there (which contains extraction info) claims it was more powerful visually with 3-d geometrics than spice.

flyboy
#5 Posted : 8/14/2008 5:05:08 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Yeah atheist, thats why swim won't sleep soundly until he's at least gives it a go once. Just 1 tiny seeds gave definite cev visuals of a kind swim has never seen so supplier is good and that maybe weighs out to 1/5th a gram, so 500 seeds down into a small concentration will have to be effective in swims opinion even if he manages to completely muck up the tek.

69ron
#6 Posted : 8/14/2008 5:17:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

atheistpeace, it is very different from SPICE. It’s sort of like comparing apples and oranges. The visuals are not the same and for SWIM it's NOT PSYCHEDELIC AT ALL. It’s just visual with sound effects and some minor bodily effects. It’s much stronger than spice gram for gram, so based on that you could say it’s more visual than spice, but its so different. Because it’s not psychedelic the effects are not immersive like they are with spice. You stay completely grounded even during really intense visual effects.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

flyboy
#7 Posted : 8/14/2008 3:19:55 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Ron, I'm still trying to get a straight answer from you or someone with subjective opinion:

Are the visuals of freebase worth the effort to a Spicester or will one be truly dissapointed?

When you say the "visuals are not the same" can you elaborate?

69ron
#8 Posted : 8/15/2008 3:14:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Alright, I’ll do my best. Bufotenine is NOT PSYCHEDELIC. If you’re expecting mind altering effects, insights into the world around you, emotional upheaval, bazaar changes in consciousness, warping of time and space, and other such psychedelic effects, you will be very disappointed with bufotenine.

Now if you’re looking for beautiful visuals and auditory hallucination completely void of psychedelic effects, then you’ll be very happy with bufotenine. It’s just hallucinogenic. It’s like the other side of 5-MeO-DMT. 5-MeO-DMT is almost purely psychedelic and almost void of visual and auditory hallucinogenic effects. DMT is somewhere between the two, being both hallucinogenic and psychedelic. Because of that it’s a more immersive experience.

The visual effects of DMT are smooth and flowing, very similar to high dose psilocin visuals. Things are constantly morphing and bending and look almost like they are made of liquid. The visuals are intense, but at the dosage needed for true hallucinations where you see figures and places and not just a bunch of beautiful colors and shapes, the psychedelic effects are very strong and can take you into mental and spiritual dimensions that are extremely unworldly.

Bufotenine’s visuals (when smoked as freebase) are not smooth and flowing, they are more well defined, often made up of geometric shapes that pulsate as if made of electricity. The visuals vibrate with energy and have sort of a strobe light quality to them. Rather than soft and flowing, they are sharp and jumpy. However, if you take enough, you will have true audio visual hallucinations just like those of DMT but the audio effects are stronger with bufotenine, and the visuals have a different look to them. The dose needed for a complete hallucinogenic experience is almost completely void of psychedelic effects. You get a sense that you are merely watching a movie and are not actually part of it, while with DMT you can feel as though you are part of the experience and can get lost in the hallucinations. DMT is more immersive because of the psychedelic effects. Bufotenine lacks psychedelic effects.

Here are two nearly identical trips. The first is from DMT, the second is from bufotenine.

Quote:
After exhaling the effects started almost immediately. I close my eyes and I can feel the DMT throughout my body. It feels soft and lightly tingly. Shortly I begin seeing soft stars of all sorts of colors appear in the distance. Everything else is dark. I can feel my heart beating really fast. The stars begin flowing past me. They are multi-colored and soft. I can feel my breathing and notice the feeling of the air entering and exiting my lungs as if I’m breathing in and out an entire universe. With my eyes closed I see stars flowing outwards as I breathe out and inwards as I breathe in. The stars begin coming together and form a multi-colored face. It looks soft and the colors are almost pastel like. The eyes open and it looks at me. It’s sad. It’s face is changing and it starts to look like the earth with a face. It says in a faint voice, “I am ill” and begins to fall apart into sand. The particles of sand then turn back into stars. The vision fades, and soon I open my eyes. The room is moving slightly. The walls look as though they are growing and shrinking. I feel a pleasant tingling sensation in my body. My body feels very soft and smooth. Soon the walls in the room look normal and I’m back to normal.

Quote:
I take a large inhalation. The smoke is bitter but easy to hold in. I hold it for about 40 seconds and then breathe it out. I feel almost immediately a little nauseated, and some prickling sensations in the back of my head. It’s uncomfortable. After a few minutes this fades and I start feeling a tingling sensation spread from the back of my head through to the rest of my body. Soon I start seeing patterns all over the room. My skin is covered with Aztech like symbols, I feel a little hot. I close my eyes and start to see faint stars. The stars are rapidly changing colors, as if someone is switching a switch from red to blue to green really fast, but the color shifting is not smooth, it’s rough. I open my eyes and the entire room is flickering, the colors are intense and then not and then intense and then not again, really rapidly. I see shapes forming, mostly triangles and hexagon like shapes made of thin neon lines. These are floating in mid air. I close my eyes and begin seeing all sorts of shapes, millions of shapes, mostly straight lines and occasionally flashes of swirly snake like lines. Soon I see nothing but a red background with bright orange thin swirly lines rapidly moving like snakes. This becomes very intense and soon I hear drums playing and a voice singing in a language I am unfamiliar with. I begin seeing Aztech like symbols flashing all over me really fast suddenly I’m inside a long endless tunnel filled with Aztech symbols moving past me at amazing speed. I come to the end of the tunnel and there is a man there and he’s killed a jaguar and is drinking its blood. I can hear drums playing really loud and I hear screaming. The screaming sounds sort of real so I open my eyes and look around. The room looks pretty normal, but there are shapes floating all around. I try closing my eyes again, but the visions no longer come, I just see gray swirling dots. The rest of the trip is almost mushroom like and slowly fades, lasting about 2 hours.

The main difference is in the quality of the visuals. DMT is soft and smooth, bufotenine is rough and jagged. Also the audio effects of bufotenine are really strong in some people. Bufotenine has a strong body feeling to it unlike DMT. DMT is more of a head trip. For SWIM, DMT is just too short, and sometimes the psychedelic effects are over the top and ruin the experience. But then, bufotenine can get boring because it’s only visual and has pretty much nothing else to offer. Even with a strong visionary dose of bufotenine you feel pretty much normal mentally.

That’s about the best I can explain it. The bufotenine visuals are different and in no way like anything else. The trip is long, much longer than a DMT trip. The Aztech artwork seems to be based entirely on bufotenine visuals. This is what you normally see, lots of lines, shapes, etc. DMT visuals are softer, more liquid in nature. DMT is a far deeper experience. With DMT you don’t feel like your watching a movie, you feel that you are part of it. With bufotenine, you feel grounded even at very high doses. Bufotenine is the complete opposite of 5-MeO-DMT. 5-MeO-DMT has almost no visuals to offer and is very intensely psychedelic. Probably a mix of 5-MeO-DMT and bufotenine would be very interesting.

flyboy
#9 Posted : 8/15/2008 12:30:09 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks Ron,

That was exactly the info I needed.

Sounds to me like bufo is well worth the effort, not least because there are some nights when the visuals would be welcome but I'm a little aprehensive about having a dmt psychedelic experience where i then waste the next 2 days thinking about it.... 15 minutes of a ride and 48 hours of freaking out about time and space, I can't always afford that mental capital.

As for the quality of the visuals, those jumping pulsating shapes are what i got off the 1 seed, and they were quite amusing, and yes.. very veyr aztec... like a was looking at a tapestry in my mind.

Thanks, i'll post with results, off to the aquarium store, took 2 weeks already just to locate the bloody lime!

acolon_5
#10 Posted : 8/15/2008 12:58:04 PM

The Great Namah

flyboy wrote:
Thanks Ron,

That was exactly the info I needed.

Sounds to me like bufo is well worth the effort, not least because there are some nights when the visuals would be welcome but I'm a little aprehensive about having a dmt psychedelic experience where i then waste the next 2 days thinking about it.... 15 minutes of a ride and 48 hours of freaking out about time and space, I can't always afford that mental capital.

As for the quality of the visuals, those jumping pulsating shapes are what i got off the 1 seed, and they were quite amusing, and yes.. very veyr aztec... like a was looking at a tapestry in my mind.

Thanks, i'll post with results, off to the aquarium store, took 2 weeks already just to locate the bloody lime!

Some vendors that carry the seeds will also carry edible lime...and as flyboy has found, it is also used in marine aquariums to add calcium for live corals.
The Spice extends life
The Spice expands consciousness
The Spice is vital for space travel
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Never underestimate the power of STUFF!

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.

lorax
#11 Posted : 8/15/2008 5:32:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

this is a procedure which SWIM would like to try next..
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues. And I'm asking you, sir, at the top if my lungs.. (all posts are fictional and are intended for entertainment purpose only)

acolon_5
#12 Posted : 8/15/2008 7:09:19 PM

The Great Namah

cheech wrote:
this is a procedure which SWIM would like to try next..

Let us know the results. I will be trying this one as well shortly. Not sure which tek I will be using, but I will see how it goes.
The Spice extends life
The Spice expands consciousness
The Spice is vital for space travel
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Never underestimate the power of STUFF!

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.

extrememetal43
#13 Posted : 8/19/2008 4:44:36 AM
DMT-Nexus member

is it best to extract from yopo(peregrina) or cebil(colubrina) if 1 is only looking 4 the bufo. SWIM is not concerned about the dmt or 5-meo and has heard its destroyed during the extract anyway. flyboy which were yours?

69ron
#14 Posted : 8/19/2008 6:37:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Anadenanthera colubrina (Cebil) is best. It contains the highest amount of bufotenine and the results are usually more crystalline without a need to further purify it. A. peregrina tends to produce more sticky results requiring freeze precipitation in ethyl acetate to purify the bufotenine.