We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Lye and Naptha won't separate Options

santos
#1 Posted : 9/7/2010 4:47:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi,

I've done the mimosa/defat/lye/naptha extraction about 5 times with much success. Yesterday, after adding the naptha, I shook the jug a lot rather than just swirling it as I usually do because I am in no hurry for the final product. My concern now is that instead of two layers, I have three. Most of the naptha is in this gooing middle layer and I'm not sure if it's ruined or if I can save the batch. Any replies would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

mogascreeta
#2 Posted : 9/7/2010 5:39:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

santos wrote:
Hi,

I've done the mimosa/defat/lye/naptha extraction about 5 times with much success. Yesterday, after adding the naptha, I shook the jug a lot rather than just swirling it as I usually do because I am in no hurry for the final product. My concern now is that instead of two layers, I have three. Most of the naptha is in this gooing middle layer and I'm not sure if it's ruined or if I can save the batch. Any replies would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Try a hot water bath or vibrations. in time it will separate.
"I'm creeping back to life, my nervous system all awry, I'm wearing the inside out. Look at him now, he's paler somehow, but he's coming round. He's starting to choke It's been so long since he spoke, well he can have the words right from my mouth. And with these words I can see, clear through the clouds that covered me, Just give it time then speak my name. now we can hear ourselves again" Pink Floyd- Wearing the Inside Out
Mogascreeta is a pathological liar and should not be taken seriously under any circumstance.

DoingKermit
#3 Posted : 9/7/2010 5:59:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

You can try adding more sodium hydroxide to help get rid of an emulsion. I have heard salt works too but i have never actually done it. Let us know how u get on.

endlessness
#4 Posted : 9/7/2010 6:21:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

santos
#5 Posted : 9/7/2010 6:38:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you all so much. I heated it up and added more lye. Will update tomorrow. All the best!

santos
#6 Posted : 9/7/2010 6:40:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Dam, never mind! It just separated. Should be crystal clear by tomorrow. Thanks again for the great help.