We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
help identifying Phalaris arundinacea Options

Dimitrius
#1 Posted : 9/2/2010 7:25:58 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Is this Phalaris arundinacea? There's LOADS of it nearby.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reed_canary_grass

If there's any specific features needed for identification, I can go take pictures of them. Wink
Dimitrius attached the following image(s):
DSC_0073.JPG (4,851kb) downloaded 266 time(s).
DSC_0074.JPG (4,325kb) downloaded 268 time(s).
DSC_0104.JPG (6,730kb) downloaded 267 time(s).
DSC_0085.JPG (4,959kb) downloaded 268 time(s).
DSC_0094.JPG (4,971kb) downloaded 266 time(s).
DSC_0103.JPG (5,314kb) downloaded 262 time(s).
DSC_0096.JPG (5,099kb) downloaded 256 time(s).
DSC_0128.JPG (5,997kb) downloaded 257 time(s).
DSC_0130.JPG (4,345kb) downloaded 257 time(s).
DSC_0108.JPG (4,760kb) downloaded 257 time(s).
DSC_0100.JPG (6,497kb) downloaded 257 time(s).
"Within your heart is a lotus, and within this lotus is a diamond. This diamond is the source of creation, and in all the creation, there is only one lotus."

"Only from the Heart can you touch the sky." ~ Rumi

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Dimitrius
#2 Posted : 9/7/2010 9:03:35 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Anyone have any information on this.

If this is in fact, Phalaris arundinacea, which I understand to contain gramine?, I can experiment with extractions (when time allows) to see if I can get a worthwhile extract. I'm no chemist or anything, but with some free time and a large source, who knows...maybe some progress or insights could be made.

Let me know. Not too worried about it, as far as having a supply, but you know...curiousness. If I could help in the advancement of grass extractions, in any way, well, I'd be happy.
"Within your heart is a lotus, and within this lotus is a diamond. This diamond is the source of creation, and in all the creation, there is only one lotus."

D_Juggz
#3 Posted : 9/7/2010 10:10:38 AM

Dr Do Little

Dude check out this page, the pics on there look quite a bit different, are you sure thats reed canary grass?
Phalaris Pictures - Erowid

Either way, its a shitty source, ur better of growing some specific p.aquatica or ideally p.brachy strains. You'll only be looking at 0.06% yield, so u'll need a lot of plant matter.
Make sure you harvest just before sunrise or just after sunset, thats when the alk content of the plant is at its peak. If you harvest at the wrong time u'll just be flogging a dead horse.
Also make sure you dig up the rhizomes, try do a separate extraction on them, dry them and bash them to bits, then do an A/B i hear they have much higher alk concentrations - would be interesting to see.

Good luck,
The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.
-Confucius

"Under the skin of our lives; somewhere deep and early, forgotten, we all share the same dreams"

Dimitrius
#4 Posted : 9/14/2010 10:54:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks D_Juggz.

D_Juggz wrote:
Dude check out this page, the pics on there look quite a bit different, are you sure thats reed canary grass?

No, lol, I'm not sure. That's what this thread is about. Razz

Actually, the pictures you show and the pictures that a google search turns up, do look very similar to what I'm seeing along the river bank. My thinking was that perhaps the ones near me weren't in as full a bloom, as say...

THESE

or

THESE

...because it's not that time of year for them here? And that they may not ever bloom so fully here in my region, as they might somewhere else, in a more optimal conditions??

I don't know. I'm not a botanist by any means.

D_Juggs wrote:

Either way, its a shitty source, ur better of growing some specific p.aquatica or ideally p.brachy strains. You'll only be looking at 0.06% yield, so u'll need a lot of plant matter.
Make sure you harvest just before sunrise or just after sunset, thats when the alk content of the plant is at its peak. If you harvest at the wrong time u'll just be flogging a dead horse.
Also make sure you dig up the rhizomes, try do a separate extraction on them, dry them and bash them to bits, then do an A/B i hear they have much higher alk concentrations - would be interesting to see.

Good luck,

I'm not sure I will pursue this. I do have PLENTY of pink powder. It's just interesting to me is all. Maybe I should leave it at that, an interesting occurrence, and not pursue extraction of this potential source. That's really how I felt about it in the first place...but you know, the mind gets going!

I appreciate the help Juggz.

DiMiTriX
#5 Posted : 9/14/2010 11:05:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

that's not Phalaris arudinacea just looks the different shape of the ears,sorry Confused
Tz'is aná