We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
A couple Q's about propogating cacti Options

mogascreeta
#1 Posted : 8/24/2010 5:58:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
('Coatl) Propagating Trichocereus is EASY AS HELL!

Slice it (sections at least 3 inchs long)

Dry the ends.

Plant in dry dirt right side up, or on it's side, but never upside down.

Water after a month or two.

It will now grow normally!

Super, super easy! Easier to grow than corn!

Growing from seed is also very easy!

I tried to serch the internet for answers to these questions but could not find any direct answers. It is T. peruvianus.

When I place the cutting/pup in the dry dirt, should I keep it inside while it roots?
Does the cutting/pup need light while it roots?
About how long after it roots can it be placed back outside and resume normal care?
"I'm creeping back to life, my nervous system all awry, I'm wearing the inside out. Look at him now, he's paler somehow, but he's coming round. He's starting to choke It's been so long since he spoke, well he can have the words right from my mouth. And with these words I can see, clear through the clouds that covered me, Just give it time then speak my name. now we can hear ourselves again" Pink Floyd- Wearing the Inside Out
Mogascreeta is a pathological liar and should not be taken seriously under any circumstance.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

#2 Posted : 8/24/2010 7:03:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

mogascreeta wrote:
When I place the cutting/pup in the dry dirt, should I keep it inside while it roots?

Depends on where you live I guess. I live in the UK, so the answer would be a definate yes. If you live somewhere where cacti are native then it should be OK outside, so long as it won't fall in the wind etc. You shouldn't over water cacti when repotting / cutting so keep water at an absolute minimum for a couple of months. I'd pot it in a decent cactus compost rather than "dirt" as well. Smile

mogascreeta wrote:
Does the cutting/pup need light while it roots?

Yes. Leave it on a window sill, this works for me.

mogascreeta wrote:
About how long after it roots can it be placed back outside and resume normal care?

Trichocereus grow pretty fast. Assuming it'll grow outside where you are - I'd leave it inside for a season, (six months minimum) then gradually get it accostomed to being outside by moving it out for a few hours a day. Then I would leave it sheltered until you are sure it has strong roots and is growing strongly.

Hope this helps!
Oh great - the world has just been replaced by elf machinery.
Sic transit gloria mundi

mogascreeta
#3 Posted : 8/24/2010 8:26:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the informative and concise feedback, 1664 and Fiashy. Where I live it is very hot in the day average temps right now are 100-110*F in the day, high 70's in the night. However in a few months it will be freezing, so I think I may just put in the ole' window sill just to be safe.
"I'm creeping back to life, my nervous system all awry, I'm wearing the inside out. Look at him now, he's paler somehow, but he's coming round. He's starting to choke It's been so long since he spoke, well he can have the words right from my mouth. And with these words I can see, clear through the clouds that covered me, Just give it time then speak my name. now we can hear ourselves again" Pink Floyd- Wearing the Inside Out
Mogascreeta is a pathological liar and should not be taken seriously under any circumstance.

dg
#4 Posted : 8/25/2010 5:35:00 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Cacti expert

do people listen to teo' advice?? full of subjective //regurgitated bs
trichs are nowheres near as easy as corn to grow, and i have rooted many cuttings upside down/ w/o issue.

http://www.entheogen.com/content/view/86/2/1/0/
here is some info from an experienced cacti grower, its a bit outdated, but has a bunch of good info