We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Compost for peyotes? Options

sigmundfreuid
#1 Posted : 8/9/2010 6:52:16 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Hi, i was wondering if a shrimp compost would be ok as one of the substrates for the soil mix
im making for my lophophora's ?

or if anyone has a suggestion for a really simple lophophora soil mix ,it would be appreciated.

i have perlite ,sand,limestone screenings 1/8 inch,shrimp compost and earth,im just not sure what proportions
would be the best for a good draining soil....

Swim is a figment of your imagination and he's a compulsive liar,thus everything he says is pure lies !

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

pau
#2 Posted : 8/10/2010 2:17:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

My cacti like my homemade (all vegetarian) compost mixed in with the mediocre Socal soil. I also add some earthworm casings when I feel like splurging on a particularly good speciman. And yes, sand, some pea gravel...both are a lot cheaper than perlite....some agricultural lime.
Just got back from vacation in Europe...noticed lots of Cereus in Italy, didn't see a single Trichocereus, however.
WHOA!

corpus callosum
#3 Posted : 8/10/2010 6:12:48 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

My lophophora seem to like a mix of equal parts of coarse grit, sand and compost for succulents.
I am paranoid of my brain. It thinks all the time, even when I'm asleep. My thoughts assail me. Murderous lechers they are. Thought is the assassin of thought. Like a man stabbing himself with one hand while the other hand tries to stop the blade. Like an explosion that destroys the detonator. I am paranoid of my brain. It makes me unsettled and ill at ease. Makes me chase my tail, freezes my eyes and shuts me down. Watches me. Eats my head. It destroys me.

sigmundfreuid
#4 Posted : 8/10/2010 6:31:40 AM
DMT-Nexus member

corpus callosum wrote:
My lophophora seem to like a mix of equal parts of coarse grit, sand and compost for succulents.

how coarse is your grit ?

all i have is crushed limestone screenings (1/8 inch),its those little rocks they make the roads with and their so dusty.its almost impossible to clean ,even after 20 washes yhe water is still pretyy cloudy.
Swim is a figment of your imagination and he's a compulsive liar,thus everything he says is pure lies !

corpus callosum
#5 Posted : 8/10/2010 7:03:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

The grit is pretty coarse; I would say the pieces are 5-6mm in diameter (clearly they arent spherical!) or a little larger.
I am paranoid of my brain. It thinks all the time, even when I'm asleep. My thoughts assail me. Murderous lechers they are. Thought is the assassin of thought. Like a man stabbing himself with one hand while the other hand tries to stop the blade. Like an explosion that destroys the detonator. I am paranoid of my brain. It makes me unsettled and ill at ease. Makes me chase my tail, freezes my eyes and shuts me down. Watches me. Eats my head. It destroys me.

oetzi13
#6 Posted : 8/22/2010 8:02:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Sand! Playsand...nothing else works as well for Swim, they like it dry!
Just don't