We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
What is the story with Alcohol & Harmalas. Options

plumsmooth
#1 Posted : 6/28/2010 9:30:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Does anyone know what the relationship is, how they interact in the body; is it different for everyone?
Thanks...

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

kaos.underwave
#2 Posted : 8/17/2010 9:48:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

All I know is that mixing any MAOI with alcohol can be lethal, if not extremely unpleasant...you knew that right? just making sure
Onwards and upwards

SnozzleBerry
#3 Posted : 8/17/2010 10:00:20 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

kaos.underwave wrote:
All I know is that mixing any MAOI with alcohol can be lethal, if not extremely unpleasant...you knew that right? just making sure

Harmalas are RIMAs and the vast majority (if not all) of the food restrictions (including alcohol) that are an issue with MAOIs are irrelevant with RIMAs...but you knew that right? just making sure Wink
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

69ron
#4 Posted : 8/17/2010 11:07:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Harmalas are RIMAs and that puts them on a whole different level from your average MAOI. The interaction with alcohol is not so dangerous, but still not very pleasant. Harmine, harmaline, and THH are all vasodilators and so is alcohol. The combined vasodilation effects of harmalas mixed with alcohol can cause a very bad headache. It's a combination that should be avoided.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

gammagore
#5 Posted : 8/17/2010 11:11:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

69ron wrote:
The combined vasodilation effects of harmalas mixed with alcohol can cause a very bad headache.

Yip, first hand experience with this^.

soulfood
#6 Posted : 8/18/2010 2:59:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

Yeah that's one headache you won't be shifting any time soon if you're unfortunate enough to get it.

neverwas
#7 Posted : 8/18/2010 3:04:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

So the whole fasting and avoiding food thing is unnecessary (for the most part) in regards to RIMAs? And avoiding things with already known toxic chemicles? Does this mean I can eat?! Please clarify.
My name is love, for I am without fear

benzyme
#8 Posted : 8/18/2010 3:04:57 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

aside from the aforementioned combined effects, that's the worst, really.

alcohol lacks the amine moeity that monoamine oxidase targets; in short, alcohol isn't a substrate of MAO. it's a substrate of ADH (alcohol dehydrogenase).
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

neverwas
#9 Posted : 8/18/2010 3:30:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Well I never planned on drinking with a a harmala but was curious. I did read somewhere that some guy drank a Beer on ayahuasca to prove that it was ok. He was fine. I don't mind the fasting prior to aya but I guess it's good to know I can eat some. Is there anything among the list of no no's that must he avoided?

benzyme
#10 Posted : 8/18/2010 3:44:16 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

tyramine.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

jaguar
#11 Posted : 8/18/2010 4:15:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I know some guys who drink a beer after an ayahuasca session to be able to sleep.

SWIM also did that and it was very much ok. But I would not really recommend it. Madre ayahuasca teaches you to stay away from alcohol at all. Have you ever noticed how drinks high in alcohol taste worse after ayahuasca? However, an occasional beer is very much part of our culture where I live. So really, I think I would never stop that. But ayahuasca really encourages you to transform your life into only using healthy food and alcohol definitely is not part of that (even though _eastern_ shamans seem to drink quite a lot sometimes - however while being able to manage it without getting drunk).

neverwas
#12 Posted : 8/18/2010 5:56:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I personally have never drank a beer or alcohol product after an ayahuasca session nor do I intend to. I'm kind of a beer dork. So since there are alot of micro brews available where I live I found myslef trying a new one every night. This started a few months ago. Once I realized It had gotten to he a daily thing, I took a break. A few days at first, then a week. I had intended to make it to weeks after that, then three etc but had one the other day. I think I'm at day 3 now but maybe it's 4. It wasn't really ever an urge but I have had problems with it before. I certainly see no problem with having a beer (a pint) every once In a while but I definatly see the problem when it starts. I guess I'm just trying to best my wants over my needs. There are a few things I need to take care of in tha regard but the list is alot smaller than it used to be.

Sorry for rambling, I guess It mustve needed to be said.

Mother ayahuasca is a great teacher though and certainly muh wiser than some of us! We must listen to what she has to say Smile

rOm
#13 Posted : 8/18/2010 10:53:35 AM

DMT-Nexus member

gammagore wrote:
69ron wrote:
The combined vasodilation effects of harmalas mixed with alcohol can cause a very bad headache.

Yip, first hand experience with this^.

Same here.
Smell like tea n,n spirit !

Toke the toke, and walk the walk !

soulfood
#14 Posted : 8/18/2010 12:38:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

Morbiddoctor wrote:
Well I never planned on drinking with a a harmala but was curious. I did read somewhere that some guy drank a Beer on ayahuasca to prove that it was ok. He was fine. I don't mind the fasting prior to aya but I guess it's good to know I can eat some. Is there anything among the list of no no's that must he avoided?

Just remember everyone's different. I have to really watched what I eat 24 hours either side of even pharmahuasca and x10 changa. If I eat mainy fresh fish, fruits and vegetables I feel amazing, but if I stray from that in the slightest I get a pretty nasty headache.

kaos.underwave
#15 Posted : 8/19/2010 6:31:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

MY God I've been following the dietary precautions for MAOIs all this time when actually using RIMAs!
Oops. Thanks to all for correcting stupid misinfo, apologies, especially to plumsmooth
Onwards and upwards

Sublime
#16 Posted : 8/19/2010 6:36:13 PM

Intraterrestrial

After being really wasted I smoked DMT with caapi, and no wonder I got my ass kicked in hyperspace and woke up with a really bad headache that lasted all day. Thanks for the info, I will look into it more. I have decided not to touch DMT when I have alcohol flowing through my veins, it usually does not turn out so well.
"That which I avoid I will become a slave to, that which I confront I will master."

neverwas
#17 Posted : 8/19/2010 9:20:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

^one time I was really drunk and wanted to try out a new batch of DMT I had. Immediatly upon breaking through u was being yelled at by a drill seargent like entity. It screamed 'YOU DO NOT ABUSE ME!' over and over was very upset in a parental way. Once I finally understood it calmed down and was like 'ok good; Now let's get started' and then the other lessons began. I will never do that again.

Other times when I get ready for ritual, I'll be a little buzzed from a beer or two and a hit or two of weed. It gets me in the perfect 'blank dlate' mindset for hyperspace. I don't always like doing that but the combination really puts me into the perfect trance.

Of course, this is without MAOI so I'm just pointing to the alcohol/DMT combo.

Sublime
#18 Posted : 8/19/2010 10:44:14 PM

Intraterrestrial

Yeah some entity telepathically told me "Oh you are going to be drunk? I'm going to show you just how fucked up things can become." Then I got stuck in an endless loop of falling, drowning, etc. That's enough for me to think twice before I do that again.
"That which I avoid I will become a slave to, that which I confront I will master."