We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Proton Smaller Than Thought—May Rewrite Laws of Physics Options

benzyme
#1 Posted : 7/12/2010 8:31:18 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

good... good..
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Sublime
#2 Posted : 7/12/2010 8:35:19 PM

Intraterrestrial

Quite a discovery if further research proves it to be. I am glad these scientists are researching intensely the field of quantum particles, we are getting closer to a standard set of laws...or possibly nothing at all.

Fiashly wrote:

The proton finding won't impact most people's daily lives. But if it proves correct, it means something fundamental is wrong in particle physics.

Oh, thank God!
"That which I avoid I will become a slave to, that which I confront I will master."

stevowitz
#3 Posted : 7/12/2010 8:56:45 PM

The Dude

bout time someone shook up the Standard Model...
*We are now at a phase of human development where we have accumulated an enormous amount of knowledge through scientific research in the material world. This is very important knowledge, but it must be integrated. -Hoffman
*A young man who wishes to remain a sound Atheist cannot be too careful of his reading -C.S. Lewis
cephalopods are enlightened -benzyme
T R I P S I T

benzyme
#4 Posted : 7/12/2010 11:23:59 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

yeah, physicists were getting too cocky
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Virola78
#5 Posted : 7/15/2010 11:09:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
"...The proton finding won't impact most people's daily lives. But if it proves correct, it means something fundamental is wrong in particle physics..."

lol

EDIT:
so if it proves correct that the proton is smaller than originally thought, then what would be the consequences?
how would it impact the theories about particle physics? how would it change we look at the universe? and how would it (eventually) impact most people's lives?

i cant help but wonder about this...
(but unfortunately i dont know much about particle physics)

“The most important thing in illness is never to lose heart.” -Nikolai Lenin

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Samadhi-Sukha-Upekkha
#6 Posted : 8/16/2010 7:47:48 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: Not separate from the rest of the universe. So, everywhere.
Any updates about this subject?