We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
I.D. these mushrooms Options

Spock's Brain
#1 Posted : 8/13/2010 9:14:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

What sort of mushrooms are these?
Spock's Brain attached the following image(s):
IMG00017-20100813-0153.jpg (317kb) downloaded 161 time(s).
IMG00018-20100813-0201.jpg (533kb) downloaded 161 time(s).
IMG00019-20100813-0201.jpg (399kb) downloaded 161 time(s).
"Infinite Diversity, in Infinite Combinations."

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

sigmundfreuid
#2 Posted : 8/13/2010 1:55:28 PM
DMT-Nexus member

they look like psilocybe semilanceata but dont get your hopes up yet.

we have the same ones growing here and there in the grass and lawns
and sadly there not Psilocybes Crying or very sad ,
the most simple way to know if your mushrooms is edible; is by breaking the stem and it should almost instantly turn blue
due to the oxidation of the psilocybin although im not sure if this happens for every psilocybin containing mushrooms.
Swim is a figment of your imagination and he's a compulsive liar,thus everything he says is pure lies !

jbark
#3 Posted : 8/13/2010 2:59:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

They do look a lot like P. Semilanceata. Apply PAUL Stamets' 2 criteria for proper ID: break the stems and they will bruise blue; the spores should be purple. If BOTH these criteria are not met, they are not psilcybes and should not be ingested. While the ones pictured have the form of liberty caps, their caps are not the typical golden hue... But that is not necessarily significant - strains can vary radically one from another, but will ALWAYS exhibit the 2 aforementioned characteristics.

Good luck!

JBArk
JBArk is a Mandelthought; a non-fiction character in a drama of his own design he calls "LIFE" who partakes in consciousness expanding activities and substances; he should in no way be confused with SWIM, who is an eminently data-mineable and prolific character who has somehow convinced himself the target he wears on his forehead is actually a shield.

Ginkgo
#4 Posted : 8/13/2010 4:22:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

May be P. semilanceata, but I doubt it. The pictures are too blurry to give a definitive ID, but my guess would be Conocybe apala syn. Conocybe lactea. The mushrooms seems to lack the distinctive nipple P. semilanceata have, and they also seem to be white rather than yellow to brown.

Look for blue bruising and take a look at the color of the gills. P. semilanceata have purple-brown gills and spores. Conocybe apala has reddish brown gills and spores.

dreamer042
#5 Posted : 8/13/2010 4:58:05 PM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

right off the bat I notice in the top photograph a distinct lack of blueing at the bottom of the stem where the mushroom was picked, which leads me to conclude these are most likely not P. semilanceata
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

jbark
#6 Posted : 8/13/2010 5:06:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Evening Glory wrote:
May be P. semilanceata, but I doubt it. The pictures are too blurry to give a definitive ID, but my guess would be Conocybe apala syn. Conocybe lactea. The mushrooms seems to lack the distinctive nipple P. semilanceata have, and they also seem to be white rather than yellow to brown.

Look for blue bruising and take a look at the color of the gills. P. semilanceata have purple-brown gills and spores. Conocybe apala has reddish brown gills and spores.

Ya! Could be conocybes - hadn't considered that!!
JBArk is a Mandelthought; a non-fiction character in a drama of his own design he calls "LIFE" who partakes in consciousness expanding activities and substances; he should in no way be confused with SWIM, who is an eminently data-mineable and prolific character who has somehow convinced himself the target he wears on his forehead is actually a shield.

Spock's Brain
#7 Posted : 8/13/2010 7:20:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

yeh, looks like a dead wringer for Conocybe's, now that you've pointed me towards that I.D... I'm getting more interested in this!

DeMenTed
#8 Posted : 8/13/2010 9:34:22 PM

Barry

Definitely not libert caps. These mushrooms dont have a dark underside of the cone, they are white by the looks of it which is a no no as far as i know.

ElusiveMind
#9 Posted : 8/14/2010 12:04:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes, definitely not P. semilanceata as the gills are white, dead give away there. Also from the picture it looks like the cap is fairly flimsy, while P. semilanceata has a meatier cap. Another tell tale sign is that P. semilanceata has a distinct nipple on the top of the mushroom, as so... Liberty Cap with Gills showing Good luck with hunting but the mushroom season isn't ready yet.... assuming you are in the PNW.

EDIT: and from what it looks like the mushroom is Conocybe Apala Wink
Picture 1
Picture 2
The Tea Party wrote:
We exist in a world where the fear of Illusion is real
And we cling to the past to deny and confuse the ideal

DMTripper wrote:
Bliss of ignorance -> pain of knowledge -> integrate -> bliss of knowledge.

SWIM and ElusiveMind are fictional characters and everything they say is fictional

Spock's Brain
#10 Posted : 8/15/2010 1:13:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

ElusiveMind wrote:
mushroom season isn't ready yet.... assuming you are in the PNW.

I will be in the PNW come end of next month...and everafter...YAY!