We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Ghetto Separatory Funnel Stand Options

mandelbrot
#1 Posted : 8/4/2010 5:42:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

How about some good ol' ghetto engineering humor?
Yeah, I'm from the south; so what?

Ok.. So I got a new sep funnel the other day and I was too excited to wait for a proper stand. I had to try it out ASAP.

1. I had 50g of m. hostilis soaking in a 200ml acetic acid (vinegar) solution. It had been soaking for around 3 days.. enough for me. This is only experimental anyway.. if I get product, I'll be even happier.

2. I poured the MH/Acetic solution into a pan and boiled for around 15 minutes. Added 200ml more water and some more vinegar. Boiled some more and turned the heat off.

3. Took an old t-shirt, some chemical gloves, a 1000ml glass jar, and filtered the hot solution through the t-shirt. The chemical gloves were perfect for protecting my money makers from the hot solution. The reason for this filter is because the bark seemed too thick for sep funnel purposes (it would clog it). Plus, I have nothing else to do.

4. I then slowly stirred into a lab jar 100ml water and 20g NaOH using my highly prized chemical gloves and clear plastic eyewear. Safety first in this step, everyone. Your eyes and hands aren't something you want to mess with. Treat these chemicals with respect!

5. Using this basic solution, I slowly added it to the 400ml solution stirring the whole time. This turned caused a change into a black, aqueous solution.

6. While the solution was still hot I carefully poured the 500ml into the sep funnel.

7. I measured out 80ml of naptha and slowly poured it into the sep funnel.

8. I had a hot water bathe in the sink ready for heating and rolling of the sep funnel. I highly recommend this (even for Mason jars), as it's easier to roll (they float) and keeps a nice gentle flowing motion of the solution without being to harsh and causing emulsions.

9. Five or ten minutes of intermittent rolling in the hot bathe and the sep funnel was placed back on the lovely ghetto stand with a hemp necklace slip knotted from the top to a cabinet knob for extra caution with my new baby. The knob is turned and the basic solution is drained until only naptha is left. Here I found that some letting it sit for a minute and light taps on the base of the sep funnel produced a collection of basic solution on the bottom which was then drained again.

9. After all of the basic solution was drained, the non-polar solvent (the naptha) was decanted into a mason jar and set in front of a fan for a little evaporation (makes crashing the solubles a sure thing if they are present).

10. Steps 6 through 9 are repeated three more times, with decremental amounts of naptha used in step 7 (80ml, 70ml, 50ml, then 40ml in my case).

11. After I'm satisfied with the amount of naptha in each jar, I placed them into my freeze on the coldest setting possible.

I will update this post with some more pictures when I'm done with the crystallization. For now you will have to just laugh at my redneck sep funnel stand.

Either way, though: if you guys can find one of these sep funnels, do it! They make extractions 100X more fun, in my opinion.

Also, if this post needs to be moved, please do. I don't know the proper place and don't have much access!

Criticism welcome at all times.
mandelbrot attached the following image(s):
img1.JPG (58kb) downloaded 243 time(s).
img2.JPG (65kb) downloaded 243 time(s).
img3.JPG (30kb) downloaded 242 time(s).
img5.JPG (52kb) downloaded 244 time(s).
bombsoup.jpg (382kb) downloaded 252 time(s).
-mandelbrother

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

buk
#2 Posted : 8/5/2010 3:13:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Awesome! Very happy

olympus mon
#3 Posted : 8/5/2010 11:10:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Tattooist specialized in indigenous art, Fine art, medium ink and pen.

i really want one of those. looks so precise. im trying a gravy separator this weekend but i wish it was a funnel. nice pics and graphic. thx
I am not gonna lie, shits gonna get weird!
Troubles Breaking Through? Click here.
The Art of Changa. making the perfect blend.

Phlux-
#4 Posted : 8/5/2010 11:52:41 PM

The Root

Chemical expertSenior Member

hehe - nice

what i found to work quite well is :
take a peice of string and make a loop at both ends.
then find the middle of the string and knot a loop in it
hang the middle loop on a hook or someting - and put both loops over the sep crossing below the bulb at 45 degree angles or so
works well for wall mounted hooks
antrocles wrote:
...purity of intent....purity of execution....purity of experience...

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:
‹Jorkest› the wall is impenetrable as far as i can tell

Quote:
‹xtechre› cheese is great

He who packs ur capsules - controls your destiny.

Dimitrius
#5 Posted : 8/6/2010 1:53:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hehehehehehhehehehe. Laughing

Nice separatory stand too. Wink
"Within your heart is a lotus, and within this lotus is a diamond. This diamond is the source of creation, and in all the creation, there is only one lotus."

"Only from the Heart can you touch the sky." ~ Rumi

mandelbrot
#6 Posted : 8/6/2010 3:14:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Crystal report!

<nerd_joke>
SELECT * FROM naptha WHERE naptha.crystals = 'awesome'
</nerd_joke>

These came out a little cleaner than my last batch (which was STB). I definitely gonna give some love to A/B; next time I will try with a defat stage to see how pure I can get it without recrystallization. I don't have this weighed yet.. hopefully I can find a scale and weigh it tonight.. also, later tonight, be on the lookout for some microscope pictures of the bigger crystals that formed!

Phlux, thanks for the input.. I will most certainly try this on my next go around. I had a noose at the top of the sep secured back to a cabinet knob for extra precautions (and it saved my sep funnel from falling/death more that once, thank jebiz). It was nice because the cabinet door could swing, allowing me to find a good center position.

Dimitrius, Thanks! Laughing

Good luck with a gravy seperator, olympus man. I have not had any experience with those and I don't think I want to Wink
mandelbrot attached the following image(s):
img1.JPG (39kb) downloaded 170 time(s).
img2.JPG (46kb) downloaded 173 time(s).
img3.JPG (36kb) downloaded 172 time(s).
-mandelbrother

mandelbrot
#7 Posted : 8/9/2010 3:41:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ended up with 250mg from 50g MHRB.
Not a good yield, but I expected it because I only did one acid pull off of the bark.
Either way, I've got a couple of good rounds to play with!

Report 1 from this batch:

Quote:
The 4 dimensional chandelier is quite exquisite.
Vibrational rate came equilateral with the universe...
The comedown is a slow, tapered reintegration.
A+++ will do business again.

-mandelbrother