We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Cleaning used solvent with water Options

w0mbat
#1 Posted : 7/31/2010 2:39:59 AM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIM has some leftover solvent, and wants to clean it up rather than buy more. Does anyone know if it's possible to appreciably clean one's solvent (let's say, d-limonene) by "pulling" it with water a few times?
benzyme wrote:

i'm tellin ya, one day i'll interface a mass spec and uv-vis spectrophotometer to a modular synthesizer

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

kemist
#2 Posted : 8/1/2010 7:31:02 PM

John

Yeah it`s pretty much wwhat ILPT does. Say if he has limo after vinegar salting, he rinse the limo (after separation of vinegar and emulsion if any) with 2/3rd volume of deionized water once, then 2-3 times with 10-20 % solution of Na2CO3 then with deionized water twice and then he dried it with anhydrous MgSO4.

He doesn`t reuse limo more then 4-5 times because he read that d-limonene was found to be a sensitizer after prolonged exposure to air.5 main oxidation products of d-limoncne were identified. (R)-(–)-carvone and a mixture of cis and trans isomers of (+)-limonene oxide were found to he potent sensitizers, while no significant reactions were obtained m the animals induced with 8 mixture of cis and trans isomers of (–)-carveol. It can be concluded that air oxidation of d-limonene is essential for its sensitizing potential, and that potent allergens are created.

He would reuse other solvent like tolulene more times cos he think tolulene is more stable, but he hasn`t got any .
As a kemist I never met ILPT in physical form and never talk to him. He share his wisdom, trough my mind, telepathicly only. Please don`t prosecute me, for his possible illegal activities. He is bonkers about chemistry and doesn`t even exist in this primitive reality !!!

w0mbat
#3 Posted : 8/1/2010 10:19:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

kemist wrote:
Yeah it`s pretty much wwhat ILPT does. Say if he has limo after vinegar salting, he rinse the limo (after separation of vinegar and emulsion if any) with 2/3rd volume of deionized water once, then 2-3 times with 10-20 % solution of Na2CO3 then with deionized water twice and then he dried it with anhydrous MgSO4.

Does your limo become clear again after salting, or does it stay yellowish?

kemist wrote:

He doesn`t reuse limo more then 4-5 times because he read that d-limonene was found to be a sensitizer after prolonged exposure to air.5 main oxidation products of d-limoncne were identified. (R)-(–)-carvone and a mixture of cis and trans isomers of (+)-limonene oxide were found to he potent sensitizers, while no significant reactions were obtained m the animals induced with 8 mixture of cis and trans isomers of (–)-carveol. It can be concluded that air oxidation of d-limonene is essential for its sensitizing potential, and that potent allergens are created.

Do you have a link to that article?
benzyme wrote:

i'm tellin ya, one day i'll interface a mass spec and uv-vis spectrophotometer to a modular synthesizer

kemist
#4 Posted : 8/2/2010 6:32:42 AM

John

w0mbat wrote:

Does your limo become clear again after salting, or does it stay yellowish?

Straight after salting HIS limo became yellowish green and milky cloudy like.

After washing and drying it become translucent although it still have it yellowish-greenish tint

w0mbat wrote:

Do you have a link to that article?

Yeah sure : link
As a kemist I never met ILPT in physical form and never talk to him. He share his wisdom, trough my mind, telepathicly only. Please don`t prosecute me, for his possible illegal activities. He is bonkers about chemistry and doesn`t even exist in this primitive reality !!!