We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
sustainable caapi? Options

polytrip
#1 Posted : 6/1/2010 10:39:28 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: A speck of dust in endless space, like everyone else.
I've heard several times that the caapi plant is in danger, due to overconsumption of ayahuasca.

This is a deeply worrying thought to me: if there's any psychedelic i would want to have preserved for future generations it's ayahuasca.

First: is it true?

Secondly: is there anything we can do to preserve this plant?
Could for instance, caapi leaves replace the vine? Or are there substances that will increase sensitivity for caapi´s effects?

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

jamie
#2 Posted : 6/1/2010 10:43:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

Buy your caapi from places like the mckenna farm and start some cuttings at home.
Long live the unwoke.

MelCat
#3 Posted : 6/1/2010 10:44:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

You can grow your own caapi. That's the route I'm going.

It's a really hearty plant from what I understand and is very easy to clone.

Once mine gets up to size, I already have at least 5 other places I intend on taking cuttings to.

The key is to be as self sustainable as possible and replace what you consume.

Like the concept of companies planting 5 trees for everyone they take. Except with a full developed caapi vine, I doubt you would need more than a few different plants to cover your own needs.
Convert a melodic element into a rhythmic element...

endlessness
#4 Posted : 6/1/2010 10:48:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I read and heard about how nowadays its very rare to find wild ayahuasca. What one finds is either cultivated or the spreading of old cultivated species. Many indigenous people also cultivate ayahuasca, and so did their ancestors.

Ayahuasca that is sold is all cultivated AFAIK and I havent ever read any credible sources to say cultivated varieties is in any danger. Daime people for example have huge ayahuasca plantations that supply the use for thousands of followers. They are required by law in Brazil to be sustainable in their harvest.

So one way or another, ayahuasca is gonna be there, its easy to grow in tropical areas by directly sticking a small section of the vine in soil. Indoors in higher lattitudes maybe people could grow too, but I dont know how effective that would be for harvesting.

I dont know though about the exact source of the vine gotten by most ethnobotanical suppliers, and neither have any idea of the real numbers of how much aya is bought in this kind of market.

Whatever way it is, though, I think that if one can grow caapi, its highly recommended. Growing plants is great, gives you a whole new connection with life Smile

Fatcat
#5 Posted : 7/25/2010 4:00:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Have any of you guys tried growing it hydroponicly? With a good fogger set up dialed in properly, you could probably grow anything. and fast too.
By allowing this message to pass through your cornea, into your retina, you accept it as is and agree to my disclaimer regarding my posts that they are a complete falsification by doing so freeing me of all liability, direct, indirect, consequential or incidental that may arise from the instillation of this post in your memory bank.