We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Psilocybin chemistry question Options

redeadnixon
#1 Posted : 7/21/2010 5:03:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I was reading a thread over on drugs-forum about extraction of alkaloids from psilocybe mushrooms,
and my monkey got an idea..
He was wondering if psilocybin is a phosphate salt of psilocin? (Or is it an altogether differnt compound?)
If it's a salt, technically speaking doesn't this mean that psilocybin could be formed from psilocin via addition of phosphoric acid to an extracted solution of both alkaloids; without destroying the psilocybin.

The reason the monkey asks is that he was thinking of ways to improve shelf life of psilocybin,
He would also like to try fumarate salts of the alkaloids as used in spice extraction..

http://www.drugs-forum.c...um/showthread.php?t=3768 - thread
It's not the first time we've been in this dream.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

SnozzleBerry
#2 Posted : 7/21/2010 5:33:35 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

You can use acidic solutions to convert psilocybin to psilocin. The issue with extracted psilocin salt or freebase is the fact that it will oxidize very rapidly. It is unlikely to greatly improve the shelf life of the psilocin unless you store it in a tincture of sorts. I currently have some psilocin fb sitting in a small jar of naptha in my freezer. I have no intention of drying it until i'm about to bioassay it, as everything I've heard and talked to others about indicates that it will oxidize rapidly and lose potency. You could probably perform an acidified alcohol extraction and then reduce it to have a tincture. I would assume you could evap that tincture all the way to yield salt xtals as well.
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

benzyme
#3 Posted : 7/21/2010 5:34:04 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

i'll answer this in a few, gotta switch OS's....
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

benzyme
#4 Posted : 7/21/2010 5:38:38 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

Quote:
one would probably think the phosphate would be hydrolytically cleaved at high/low pH
but by the calculations, at species 2 there's net -2 charge. 3 and 4 are pI species (the blue line overlaps the red line), species 5 has a net -1 charge, and species 1 has a net +1 charge.
(taken from a post i made at the shroomery)

i'd try to keep the pH in the range of the peak of the blue line, where it exists as a zwitterion (no net charge).
the other species may be inactive.
benzyme attached the following image(s):
Screenshot-pKa-2.png (98kb) downloaded 122 time(s).
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

redeadnixon
#5 Posted : 7/21/2010 6:49:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So drawing from both of your replies + the df thread,
1) Acidify a methanol or ethanol solution to ~pH 4.5 with citric or fumaric
2) Add this to ground up shroom material and heat to 40-50C for half an hour with stirring.
3) Repeat 1+2 twice, then reduce liquid and store or evapourate fully.

Much thanks,
Peace.

Global
#6 Posted : 7/21/2010 10:00:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Music, LSDMT, Egyptian Visions, DMT: Energetic/Holographic Phenomena, Integration, Trip Reports

Alternatively, your body makes a very good "chemistry lab" to convert psilocybin to psilocin, as when you ingest psilocybin your body metabolizes the majority of it to psilocin. Also, as mentioned above, psilocin has a very short half life, and is not very stable.
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind" - Albert Einstein

"The Mighty One appears, the horizon shines. Atum appears on the smell of his censing, the Sunshine- god has risen in the sky, the Mansion of the pyramidion is in joy and all its inmates are assembled, a voice calls out within the shrine, shouting reverberates around the Netherworld." - Egyptian Book of the Dead

"Man fears time, but time fears the Pyramids" - 9th century Arab proverb

redeadnixon
#7 Posted : 7/21/2010 11:16:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

gobalswg wrote:
Alternatively, your body makes a very good "chemistry lab" to convert psilocybin to psilocin, as when you ingest psilocybin your body metabolizes the majority of it to psilocin. Also, as mentioned above, psilocin has a very short half life, and is not very stable.

My original question was about converting psilocin to psilocybin for increased shelf life,
As benzyme said, it does not work at increased/decreased pH, so cannot be converted via addition of phosphoric acid as i asked..
I must not have made myself clear, my fault.