We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
The Good Old Ways Options

rOm
#1 Posted : 1/11/2010 12:36:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The Good Old Ways

The reason why I start this thread is the following :
I have been on and off salvia divinorum work path for some 8 years now, I am a true aficionado.
After all, I feel the comfortable place to apprehend its world is, the sublingual route.
A lot has been written about quidding and smoking.
The point of sublingual tincture is to avoid quidding a big amount of dried leaves for people who aren't growing their own babies. It's my case, since I do not stay in the same land long enough.

Something really upsetting with the ethanol based tincture is that it's burn badly and may leave some wounded mouth afterwards.
It doesn't happened to me all the time and few tricks could be given here to avoid too much hurt here. However, one will have to deal with the high alcohol tingling anyway. It's part of the game. Maybe just doing strong mint and alcohol mouthwash daily to get used to this sensation.

The point is here to manage to fix some tincture recipe. Help to improve this first one will be highly appreciated.

I have started this one after some research but I am not experienced in doing so.
Just did one and want to carry on making it better. I know we can do some strong extract first with IPA or ethanol and then add the dry concentration to some food grade ethanol, however I just looked here a way with no much manipulation of poisonous solvents involved. Because we have to ingest the product it has to be food grade.

This tincture is based on the facts that man needs the chlorophyll and fats from the plants to make the goodies working at their best. That's the main reason why we don't need to separate them from salvinorin in this case. When taken sublingually I have never felt any discomfortable body load.
Mint and alcohol help the mucous absorption too.

Required:

- Salvia divinorum dried leaves (10 to 15 grams).
- Devil's water (the stronger the better, between 90° and 96°Pleased
- Glass recipients with screwtops
- A blender, coffee bean type is good. Or if not just hand crush it between fingers.
- Mesuring equipment to keep record of weight and volume (ml)

Start by grinding finely your salvia foliage.
Pour it in a food grade glass recipient using a funnel.
Add gently your drinkable ethanol, enough to cover completely the powdered leaves.

Tight well the lid and start shaking this salvia cocktail for some minutes.
The devil's water will turn dark green.

Let this sit in a closed cupboard or a dark cabinet (salvinorin is destroyed by sunlight and possibly other strong lights).
Shaking this every day for a week or two and mix is usable.

You can separate the green puree from the blackish liquid using fine strain.
You may soak in another ethanol again the leaves if any salvinorin is left (I don't know if all or almost is extracted by a week or not) or eventually add new another 10 grams leaves to the green liquor to saturate it a bit more.
The liquid you got is certainly too much considering the amounts of salvinorin you want to ingest, unless you saturated it.

It's time to reduce the dark cocktail by air in the same dark place. In the glass recipient without the lid ( making a mark on the glass recipient is a good idea to know the original level).
Check time to time to see how much volume is left, this is where your original gram/ml is telling you the concentration.
Nothing more than 10 ml is good from 10 to 15 grams to start with.
Store in a place with no lights again.

Note that in the future, if you do it regularly, a dose half this may get you further if you start working with it on a regular basis (like weekly).

I personally didn't bother extracting more and combining different pull to be reduce since I had some crystal salvinorin alpha to boost my first extraction.

What I need to know now is how long the ethanol (say 90°Pleased takes to extract most of the goodies we are looking for.
This way, I would know if the remaining salvia puree is to be discarded or not.
I look forward to improve this tincture with your suggestions.

Thanks everyone for keeping this place real.

Smell like tea n,n spirit !

Toke the toke, and walk the walk !

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

ThirdEyeVision
#2 Posted : 1/12/2010 3:13:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I don't think it is wise to post a tek involving putting highly flamable liquids into the microwave. It will turn into a gas and can explode resulting in inocent deaths. There are MUCH safer ways to heat your solvent.
ThirdEyeVision
It's the third eye vision, five side dimension
The 8th Light, is gonna shine bright tonight

rOm
#3 Posted : 1/12/2010 9:53:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I gave up the original tek (for safety issues as ThirdEye mentioned).
Now there is something about microwaved extractions :

http://www.radientinc.com/

I will probably take the risk to do a sample experiement with microwaved ethanol extraction of salvia.
The main risk is when it start to boil, the ethanol will explode rapidly and it's boiling sooner than water.
I'll post it in another thread.

ThirdEyeVision
#4 Posted : 1/12/2010 4:17:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

rOm wrote:
I gave up this tek (too dangerous as ThirdEye mentioned). My mistake, I'll post something after experiments.

You didn't need to remove the whole tek, you should just re-write the portion that instructs to heat the ethanol.
I think it's a great subject. I am very interested in and have also been experimenting with sublingual salvia tinctures. Last night I tested a DMSO tincture I made and surprisingly it worked great. I just need to get ratios down so I can post results and a tek.
ThirdEyeVision
It's the third eye vision, five side dimension
The 8th Light, is gonna shine bright tonight

rOm
#5 Posted : 1/27/2010 2:26:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Initially I posted a tek using some ethanol warmed up.
That what Third Eye is reffering too. The tek posted here use time process instead of heat power.
rOm wrote:
I gave up this tek (too dangerous as ThirdEye mentioned). My mistake, I'll post something after experiments.

reflexion
#6 Posted : 1/27/2010 3:07:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

rOm wrote:

What I need to know now is how long the ethanol (say 90°Pleased takes to extract most of the goodies we are looking for.
This way, I would know if the remaining salvia puree is to be discarded or not.
I look forward to improve this tincture with your suggestions.

it shouldn't take long at all for the ethanol to extract most of the salvinorin-a.
as i understand it , the salvinorin is contained in the trichome-like hairs located on the underside of the leaf. any salvinorin should be pulled into the alcohol pretty quickly...or so i assume. Stop
i've read that UV light breaks down salvinorin-a, so it might be wise to keep your leaves and extract away from sunlight.

one fellow had good results by soaking leaf in everclear(99% ethanol), straining, then re-using the ethanol to extract more leaves, making super saturated tincture. he may have also evaporated off some of the alcohol making it even more concentrated.
to dose he would simply take a very small sip and swish it around his mouth for a bit, then swallow or spit it out. and repeat as necessary.

from what i've read, it turns out that salvinorin is not really absorbed so well sublingually...it is more readily absorbed through the back of the throat and the esophogus.

the natives chewed and swallowed the fresh leaves, aswell as drank a tea from the mascerated(sp) leaves. that's what i would consider the good old way, but they had plenty of fresh leaf around. it seems that dried leaf doesn't work so well for this, and i think that tinctures are a good option aswell. Smile good luck

rOm
#7 Posted : 2/15/2010 1:15:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Sure, Reflex, I meant "good all way" tincture making is administering salvia diterpenoids through mucosal tissue,
the original way is chewing, making a tea of the leaves. Thanks for reminded those who didn't know about it.

The back throat has something tricky, you can't swallow the excess salivation building without swallowing the liquid extract.
Likewise, if you're found accidentally swallowing in the wrong route to the respiratory system, you are caught by uneased reflex...

Well so far, I like to spread it sublingually and finish for some time on the back of the throat.
Now this tincture "food grade" may burn badly. I thought I was immune against bad burn cause I don't dilute and wasn't so badly hurt as last time I tried it.
I almost feel like I should go back smoking and vaping until I get another idea of tincture.
I read 69ron speaking somewhere of glycerin tincture ?

rOm
#8 Posted : 6/10/2010 10:09:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIM did want to experiment with the ethanol tincture he did month back.
He has pile of tincture and salvia leaf, and nearly don't use it at all, but a bit in changa mix.
However, He thinks salvia tincture is a good way to approach salvia and entheogenic world for some poeple around him that are curious and just know mushroom spirit.

To make this strong and dark green ethanol tincture more palatable, SWIM add a quarter by weight of distilled water.
He left some of this new mix in shooter to evaporate.

Two days later, he came back and saw all the chlorophils and was residue was held together, and in the ethanol water was some particule in suspension.

He need to bioessays it, but he is pretty much insensitive to it now (sublingual salvia) so he will have to wait a relative is up to give it a try and compare it to some other tincture from an ethnobotanical shop.

However, he is wondering what this could be.
he will some pix soon.
rOm attached the following image(s):
IMG_0693.jpg (563kb) downloaded 124 time(s).
IMG_0694.jpg (525kb) downloaded 128 time(s).
IMG_0695.jpg (873kb) downloaded 121 time(s).
IMG_0698.JPG (581kb) downloaded 122 time(s).
IMG_0700.jpg (601kb) downloaded 124 time(s).

rOm
#9 Posted : 6/10/2010 2:12:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So the first picture is the ethanol tincture, mixed after a while with water.
Then, we can see the solution which was dark green start to separate into a clearer green and some wax.
This was is then filtered through mesh.
We are left with a cleaner tincture (as in blue shooter), which be left again to reduce wax as in the red shooter (two days of decanting).

Note that we need to bioessays this to make sure the tincture is still potent.

rOm
#10 Posted : 7/14/2010 2:26:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Last filtering of the main batch.
It's color and quality are very fine.
rOm attached the following image(s):
IMG_0722.jpg (500kb) downloaded 81 time(s).