We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Saftey posting pictures! Options

Tangarine_Dreams
#1 Posted : 7/9/2010 5:07:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Make sure you clear the exif data if you take your pictures with a phone! ive seen kids on 4chan find EVERYTHING out about someone even calling peoples parents from data found within the picture file.

http://en.wikipedia.org/...geable_image_file_format

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

OpeningPandorasBox
#2 Posted : 7/11/2010 2:17:35 AM

DMT-Nexus member

thats crazy. good info
OpeningPandorasBox is a fictional character created by a very imaginative but delusional person. Anything posted by OpeningPandorasBox should be considered nothing more than the incoherent ramblings of an imaginary alter ego. Under no circumstances should what is posted be considered true experiences, ideas, or advice. As far as matters of the law are concerned since OpeningPandorasBox only exists outside the realms of physical reality he is under no jurisdiction and no one within the physical world should attempt to recreate or reenact any of his fictional activity.

Steely
#3 Posted : 7/11/2010 3:21:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

(See post below for a proven simple method of erasing .exif data)
Tangarine_Dreams, it seems you have caught me with my pants down!

I've known about the dangers of having .exif data on photo's uploaded to the internet for some time now, but seemed to never make the connection to these forums (Or any other for that matter)to warn people about directly uploading personal photos.

The easiest way to rid of all .exif data is to put the pictures taken by yourself, or saved directly from the internet, into the default program on Windows named, "Paint" (Gimp seems to be a good equivalent program for Mac users, however I am not sure if the same fix used in, Paint, would work - I would need confirmation from a Mac user).

Choose the, "Save as" option after placing the picture into, Paint, and save it where ever you would like to on your computer, then you may upload it and share safely. Imageshack is the best way to upload photos that you want to share on the forum; it is much faster than photobucket - a website that I used for years before switching to imageshack. Or after having cleared the .exif data through paint, you can safely upload directly to the forums here.

This is a common fix that people on the same website as, Tangarine_Dreams mentioned, used to erase .exif data.

Good example of what is contained in exif data: http://farm1.static.flic...3075421_72b1098f9b_o.gif
Do not listen to anything, "Steely" says. He is a made up character that his owner likes to role play with. His owner is very delusional and everything he says is completely untrue and ridiculous.
Hate is the choice of a clouded mind.
-"It takes humility to remember who we are"-
"There has to be evil so that good can prove its purity above it." - Buddha

Steely
#4 Posted : 7/14/2010 2:59:25 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Upon investigation with the assistance of Endlessness, we have found a simple solution that will erase any exif or meta data.

1) Open the original file in, Paint or a similar program
2) Save it as a .bmp file (BMP files do NOT support exif/meta data)
3) Open the .bmp file back into paint and save it as a new file, with a new name, as a .jpg
4) Delete the remaining .bmp file and upload the new .jpg

Don't keep over-writing the same image file. There should be a .bmp awaiting deletion from your computer once you have the jpg.

Your data is now erased and it is safe to upload
Do not listen to anything, "Steely" says. He is a made up character that his owner likes to role play with. His owner is very delusional and everything he says is completely untrue and ridiculous.

w0mbat
#5 Posted : 7/14/2010 3:10:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Could you just display the picture on your screen, take a screenshot, and use that? You'd think that would get around any kind of digital watermarks embedded in the original image file...
benzyme wrote:

i'm tellin ya, one day i'll interface a mass spec and uv-vis spectrophotometer to a modular synthesizer

Steely
#6 Posted : 7/14/2010 3:26:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

w0mbat wrote:
Could you just display the picture on your screen, take a screenshot, and use that? You'd think that would get around any kind of digital watermarks embedded in the original image file...

Doing so would reduce the quality of the image depending on your PC; there are very simple methods to go about erasing the data already, so it shouldn't give you any trouble.