We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
T. Pachanoi growing a new rib Options

Spatial Dementia
#1 Posted : 3/31/2010 11:16:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

My San Pedro used to have 6 ribs, but recently I've noticed it's growing a new one (at about 67cm/2.2ft). What's up with that?

I bought and potted it 3 months ago. Back then it was 55cm/1.8ft tall. I've only given it water once, about a week ago, when there was finally some decent sun. However, the new rib was already slightly visible before then, so it shouldn't be because of that.

I read that the less ribs a Pedro has, the more potent it is, though I'm not quite sure about the reliability of this info. Can anyone shed his/her light on this?

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

shoe
#2 Posted : 3/31/2010 12:02:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

my peruvian torch seems to have lost a rib, so that scraps that theory. I think the plants are just slightly morphic in that way. It may return to its previous shape later on. who knows?
shoe

ॐ भूर्भुव: स्व: तत्सवितुर्वरेण्यं । भर्गो देवस्य धीमहि, धीयो यो न: प्रचोदयात्
Love, Gratittude, Compassion, Fearlessness!

Infundibulum
#3 Posted : 3/31/2010 12:13:29 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

Spatial Dementia wrote:
I read that the less ribs a Pedro has, the more potent it is, though I'm not quite sure about the reliability of this info. Can anyone shed his/her light on this?

I am afraid that this is true - if the san pedro grows an extra rib this is an indication of massively losing in potency. I can safely and humanely dispose your (inactive) cactus, please contact me via PM to arrange that.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

shoe
#4 Posted : 3/31/2010 2:10:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

infundibulum strikes again!
shoe

mew
#5 Posted : 3/31/2010 3:31:34 PM

huachumancer

ribs are a genetic disposition reacting to environmental conditions (sometimes)
the number of ribs does not reflect potency, the spachinus (golden torch) has many many many ribs, as does the validus ( a reasonably strong one)

unless you are saying san pedro and only referring to t pachanoi, then yes id say more ribs is more what i have come to know as cuszcoensis like, and cuszcos are sometimes entirely inactive, but they can blend in with pachanoi, but mostly they are sold as peruvianus (which sucks because people expect the peruvianus to really kick ass, buts its all cuszcoed and ultimately disapointing)

-2cents

shoe
#6 Posted : 4/1/2010 12:04:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks Suicybe. Smile
shoe

Spatial Dementia
#7 Posted : 7/11/2010 12:08:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm kind of amazed at how fast this Pedro has been growing lately. It used to grow an average 1 mm per day during its first half year after being potted, which I found quite impressive already. But in the last 10 days, it's grown a whopping 3.5 cm! It's also gained considerable width. I'm guessing this has to do with the heat recently, and all the water I've given it because of that. And it's probably grown a better root system in the meanwhile too.

So I was curious: what are some of the biggest growth spurts SWIY's cacti have had?