We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Have we made any determinations with this ultra sonic idea? Options

overunder
#1 Posted : 8/22/2009 9:59:03 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I must apologize if this has been hashed out already, but I keep getting some kind of error message during my searches.

Has anybody make any ground on using professional ultrasonic jewelery cleaners for initial plant material extraction? I read something a while back that said ultrasonics could both help solvate DMT or could possibly cause the molecule damage if overexposed, but I never saw anything conclusive on it either way. Has anybody done any trials to see if this is a viable option? It be a shame to pass up something with such great potential.

Thanks
For legal reasons it's necessary to make this perfectly clear: My posts are pure fantasy; a pretend game.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

overunder
#2 Posted : 8/31/2009 8:50:07 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Bump.

Would it be possible to move this question to a more general forum? Seems like there's a lot of potential here.
For legal reasons it's necessary to make this perfectly clear: My posts are pure fantasy; a pretend game.

Infundibulum
#3 Posted : 8/31/2009 1:31:37 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

Hi overunder,

If you provide some more information people may get into it. SWIM has no idea what a ultrasonic jewellery cleaner is and how this can be used for plant extractions.

Maybe if you could outline the proposed procedure?

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

benzyme
#4 Posted : 8/31/2009 3:08:52 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

this may have arisen from a post I made

though I don't think an ultrasonic cleaner has the power nor the correct frequency to achieve successful extractions.
every source I've looked into regarding ultrasound-assisted extraction uses a cell disruptor (probe) with a controller.
These devices are specialized and typically cost over $2,000.

but i guess it wouldn't hurt to try on some ground bark. just add bark to water in a crest or branson (commercial jewelry cleaners are probably too weak) and crank it up to high; let it run for a couple hours, then do A/B or STB on the liquid. save everything, of course
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Crystalito
#5 Posted : 8/31/2009 3:08:57 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Hmmmm... The title caught my eye.

I think what the original poster means is use of high energy ultrasound in order to break cells and release their contents in the solution, resulting to a more efficient extraction (as one would for example repeteadly freeze and thaw a fresh cactus sample to break its cellular intergrity). Such methods using ultrasonic vibrations are used in the lab to break cells such as bacteria ,for homogenising a mixture.

It seems that indeed there are ultrasonic jewelry cleaners, so they could be used for such a work if indeed they can rupture the cells. Also, by looking over at wikipedia if im reading correct their prices start at 20 US dollars.

Infundibulum
#6 Posted : 8/31/2009 4:15:48 PM

ModeratorChemical expert

Crystalito wrote:
I think what the original poster means is use of high energy ultrasound in order to break cells and release their contents in the solution, resulting to a more efficient extraction (as one would for example repeteadly freeze and thaw a fresh cactus sample to break its cellular intergrity). Such methods using ultrasonic vibrations are used in the lab to break cells such as bacteria ,for homogenising a mixture.

Aye, but the sound these sonifiers produce during the process are just awful! Let along their price range (as benzyme said) for an equipment that does said job.

overunder
#7 Posted : 9/6/2009 2:13:41 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Wish I knew more about these things. Alas, I'm only an information re-hasher here and don't have much new to add. You're right Benzyme, I think the original post I was reading on this idea was from you, and I believe it mentioned commercial grade jewelery cleaners, Crest brand possibly? At the time the vibe was positive on these things' potential. Only new idea I could introduce was already mentioned above, repeated freezing and thawing of mhrb material before the initial solvent extraction. As the ultrasonic idea is somewhat cost prohibitive maybe someone whos already got one can do a little research for us. If it turns out the less expensive commercial units really worked it'd almost be a revelation in the mhrb/dmt world. No doubt much credit awaits the dreamer who can confirm this method.

Trickster
#8 Posted : 3/9/2010 11:38:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

If anybody on this forum can get some specs of these specialized lab ultrasonic extractors SWIM (being an electronics hobbyist in her previous life) may try and assemble one. Two parameters are most important - power and frequency.

20 min later.

SWIM already got the data.

100 to 500 W
20 to 30 kHz.

Could have been worse.
Well, let her see...
Do not seek the truth, just drop your opinions.

Infundibulum
#9 Posted : 3/10/2010 12:07:17 AM

ModeratorChemical expert

Trickster wrote:
If anybody on this forum can get some specs of these specialized lab ultrasonic extractors SWIM (being an electronics hobbyist in her previous life) may try and assemble one. Two parameters are most important - power and frequency.

This page has some sonifiers including the specs of their models.

http://spectraservices.com/BRANPROD.html

Whatever you do it's a good idea to know very well what you're doing. Use of such equipments entails some risk. For instance, make sure you have an ice bucket ready since the solution can get very warm during the sonification. And never sonify for more than 15-30 sec. Sonify-rest on ice-sonify again. Some frequencies will create emulsions, some will break it. The sound is awful, so make sure yo wear ear protection for you or others next to you. Prolonged exposure to the sound will cause some damage to the hearing etc etc etc.

But of course you'll research all these and much more in depth before going on to build and use one.

geeg30
#10 Posted : 3/10/2010 1:30:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Doesn't using freezing or acids or bases do the exact same thing in breaking down the cell walls?

In essence why even bother?
Here you!!! Gonnaenodaethat

"Iceberg???? - What Iceberg????"

sillysyban
#11 Posted : 3/10/2010 2:38:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I used to work in a tobacco processing plant many years ago (I know i know) and they had a large chamber that would break the cell walls of materials bigtime. What it would do is pull a heavy vacuum. This would break open the cell walls. Then while at vacuum steam was applied for a few minutes. This would soften the plant material immensly. Previously dried and brittle material would now be soft and pliable. I imagine the same technique used on bark etc would expose way more alkaloids for extraction. Who knows.
THERE ARE 10 KINDS OF PEOPLE IN THE WORLD.
THOSE THAT KNOW THE BINARY SYSTEM AND THOSE THAT DONT.

Pokey
#12 Posted : 3/10/2010 3:20:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Getting the PH to 13 or 14 seems to break down the cell walls just fine. And it's silent. Do BLAB, get 2% or so yield of full spectrum goodness. Nuff said.

Pokey

Trickster
#13 Posted : 3/10/2010 7:21:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

geeg30 wrote:
Doesn't using freezing or acids or bases do the exact same thing in breaking down the cell walls?

Yes, but ultrasound should be faster and it requires less chemicals.

geeg30 wrote:
In essence why even bother?

Just out of curiosity.

If not that we would be sitting in the trees hurling shit at each other Smile.

SWIM's already found and interesting inexpensive transducer with power rating 250 W and freq 1700 (!) kHz. It is much higher than the usual 20-40 kHz so there will be no high pitch annoying whine.

Do not seek the truth, just drop your opinions.

benzyme
#14 Posted : 7/5/2010 5:34:38 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

did SWIY try it out yet?
I hope SWIY is using robust materials; probes are typically fabricated from titanium alloy to withstand the intense localized heating and pressure.

SWIM got a 220 W/20 kHz model W-225R, and will test it soon.
the key is to use a stirplate to mix the solution while sonicating it.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

abc1234560
#15 Posted : 7/6/2010 7:04:29 AM

Steve

No input here on the jewlery thing.

I get the same error with he search function so I use googles advanced search and plug in "https://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum" <- for the domain search.Smile
I am not SWIM. SWIM is a fictitious character that likes to preform extractions out in space where it is legal to do so. Any and all posts by this user are fictional and are there for entertainment purposes only.