We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
serotonin and psychosis Options

burnt
#1 Posted : 6/10/2010 8:31:09 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

Thought some folks would find this review paper interesting.

The gist is that early onset of schizophrenia is qualitatively related to 5-HT agonism.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Citta
#2 Posted : 6/10/2010 10:48:44 AM

Skepdick

I like it, very interesting stuff. Thanks man =)

Virola78
#3 Posted : 6/24/2010 9:37:56 AM

DMT-Nexus member

nice

at the moment im selecting new food for thoughts, so to break with my old ideas, so to evolve..
Im late already Confused

anyways, new food for thoughts wouldnt be complete when there are no scientific arguments to keep things balanced.
so this review paper will fit in nicely Smile ty

“The most important thing in illness is never to lose heart.” -Nikolai Lenin

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

newdimensions
#4 Posted : 6/26/2010 12:07:18 AM
DMT-Nexus member

If I recall, DMT (and I think bufotenine as well) has been found in higher concentrations in the urine of schizophrenic individuals than in the urine of non-schizophrenic individuals.

Keep in mind, it's rare to find something a phenomena in the mind or body that is caused by a single chemical or stimulus. Diseases can have multiple causes, and may be caused by interactions between chemicals and bodily systems. Schizophrenia may have multiple unique causes, or may be a result of a confluence of scenarios.

bufoman
#5 Posted : 6/26/2010 4:29:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

There are many conflicting reports regarding elevated levels of DMT in schizophrenic patients.
More accurate assays with greater resolution will appear soon and will hopefully clear up some of this confusion.

burnt
#6 Posted : 6/26/2010 2:37:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

Quote:
Based on my experience, and I am not condoning this I am only reporting my experience from the past when I used to do this kind of stuff, but based on my experience with injecting a well known and highly addictive dopamine reuptake transporter inhibitor, I found that a massive dopamine increase seems subjectively more like what I would expect schizophrenia to feel like. I found that that activity created, for me, lots of delusional and paranoid thinking along with auditory hallucinations while serotonergic hallucinogens feel subjectively much different.

I agree with that and actually so does the paper. There argument was that in the initial stages of schizophrenia serotonin seems to play an important role. Perhaps even destabilizing other systems in the brain to create the kinds of dopamine havoc that gets damaged later on.

Quote:
Keep in mind, it's rare to find something a phenomena in the mind or body that is caused by a single chemical or stimulus. Diseases can have multiple causes, and may be caused by interactions between chemicals and bodily systems. Schizophrenia may have multiple unique causes, or may be a result of a confluence of scenarios.

Yep this is entirely true. No one thinks schizophrenia or psychosis has one single cause anymore. The only mental illness that appears to have one single cause is huntingtons disease. A single gene defect. Most other mental illnesses have many factors both genetic and environmental.

Quote:
There are many conflicting reports regarding elevated levels of DMT in schizophrenic patients.
More accurate assays with greater resolution will appear soon and will hopefully clear up some of this confusion.

Spectroscopy based or enzyme based?

One study I would love to see done is this:

NMR and LC-MS/GC-MS based metabolomic approach. Analysis of the urine, cerebrospinal fluid, and blood of schizoprhenic patients in different stages of the disease. Get people who are relatives of those with the disease, people who are prone to the disease, people who are experience first episode psychosis, people who are medicated yet still psychotic, people who are medicated but symptoms have decreased markedly, people who have stopped taking medication and had a remission and of course healthy controls with no history of mental illness in themselves or family. Couple this with fMRI, multivariant data analysis and bam you might be able to unravel some of the early metabolic changes taking place both during the development of psychosis and after its wreaked its havoc as well as what happens when the drugs work.

It would also be interesting to follow a few patients from their initial first episode psychosis and their progression after being medicated.

I would love to work on such a study from the analytical side.