We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
DMT Shelf Life Options

Ambient
#1 Posted : 7/18/2008 2:02:51 AM
DMT-Nexus member

How long will DMT last when stored? And what is the best way to store it? I would assume low humidity and heat right?

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

69ron
#2 Posted : 7/18/2008 9:30:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The best way to store it at room temperature is to convert it into DMT fumarate. DMT fumarate has a much longer shelf life than freebase DMT. And then if you wan to vaporize it, you freebase it again. DMT fumarate will keep for several years on the shelf in an air tight container.

If you want to store freebase DMT for several years, then put the DMT in a jar with a filter paper on top held in place by the jar’s cap. There should be a hole in the cap. Put this jar in a larger jar filled with a drying agent (a desiccant) like anhydrous magnesium sulfate and an oxygen absorber like zinc dust. Use equal amounts of each (DMT, zinc dust, anhydrous magnesium sulfate). Put an air tight cap on the larger jar. The desiccant in the larger jar keeps the DMT dry, and the zinc dust absorbs any oxygen present in both containers. The filter paper in the smaller jar allows all the moisture and oxygen to escape the smaller jar to get absorbed by the zinc dust and anhydrous magnesium sulfate. Next, place the larger jar in the refrigerator. Or store it at 3 C if possible (this is optimal for most drugs). Storing at 0 C (freezing) and below is not recommended for most drugs.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

Infundibulum
#3 Posted : 7/18/2008 11:37:22 AM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

SWIM's been keeping freebase in an airtight container in the presence of a silica sachet in the freezer for >1 year and no potency loss was observed. SWIM's also tried to replace air inside the dmt container with CO2 to reduce potential oxidation but found this to be unnecessary.

69ron, why do you think that storing drugs at freezing temperatures is not recommended for most drugs? This is SWIM's favourite method of storing substances. SWIM would avoid however storing in the freezer substances dissolved in solvents that can also freeze in a household freezer, e.g. dmt citrate dissolved in water (but not dmt-citrate dissolved in acetone) because repeated freeze-thaw cycles can negatively affect the viability of drugs.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

endlessness
#4 Posted : 7/18/2008 12:34:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIM thinks its fine and all to use all these techniques for storing, since the more care, the better and longer it can be stored..

but

SWIM thinks it is unnecessary, at least from SWIM´s experience... SWIM has smoked over year old spice that was just kept in a folded filter paper inside a ziplock in the freezer, and it was perfect

SWIM also smoked 6 months old spice that was just kept in a ziplock in drawer (in a tropical country) and it was perfectly potent too, no noticeable loss...

so if you can and want, then get all these dessicants and I dont know what, but if you just want easy, just try to follow the simple rules of ´airtight´, ´cold´, and ´away from light´, knowing that DMT is relatively stable (plus the fact that reports seem to show that dmt oxide is also very active compound)

Ambient
#5 Posted : 7/18/2008 5:18:18 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the help. SWIM will just try to keep it airtight, dry, and cold

69ron
#6 Posted : 7/18/2008 9:00:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

See the following page for the recommended storage of 5-MeO-DMT

http://www.sigmaaldrich....roductDetail/SIGMA/M2381

They state to store it at 2-8 C. DMT is probably the same.

I’ve checked dozens of pharmaceutical storage recommendations and found nearly 90% say NOT to freeze them. I’m not sure why. Maybe someone with more pharmaceutical knowledge can shed light on this.

Since Sigma-Aldrich is recommending 2-8 C for 5-MeO-DMT, I think anyone storing DMT should also adhere to that recommendation. I’m sure they’ve done longevity tests and that number isn’t some random number out of someone’s head.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.