We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Nexians Desert Island Discs..... Options

corpus callosum
#1 Posted : 6/10/2010 5:16:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

Good morning fellow intronauts.

Here in the UK there is a great radio program thats been going on for many years on BBC radio.The concept is basically as follows:

Imagine you are to be exiled alone on a desert island.You are allowed to take with you only the following items:

1.Any one book of your choice;you are also provided with a copy of the Bible (or other religious text if you are not of the Christian persuasion) and the complete works of Shakespeare (admittedly, this may not appeal to everyone, but thats the format);

2.8 pieces of music;of these, you must choose 2 which you would prefer out of the 8 you have chosen;

3.One luxury item (and this doesnt include stuff like a canoe/microlite plane to get home).

So, people, what book/2 tracks/luxury item would you take with you?
I am paranoid of my brain. It thinks all the time, even when I'm asleep. My thoughts assail me. Murderous lechers they are. Thought is the assassin of thought. Like a man stabbing himself with one hand while the other hand tries to stop the blade. Like an explosion that destroys the detonator. I am paranoid of my brain. It makes me unsettled and ill at ease. Makes me chase my tail, freezes my eyes and shuts me down. Watches me. Eats my head. It destroys me.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Crumbles
#2 Posted : 6/10/2010 10:10:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you for this thread. I cannot believe I am the first to respond. Here we go, shooting from the hip:

Book: Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Discs: Led Zeppelin II, Led Zeppelin IV, Beach Boys - Pet Sounds, Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique, The Clash - London Calling, U2 - War, Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea, My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

Of those I would cling most tightly to Pet Sounds and Led Zeppelin IV ( II is better top to bottom but I cannot live without "When The Levee Breaks" )

Item: a CD player with an eternal supply of batteries (how else am I supposed to listen to my eight discs?) If the CD player is assumed, then I would simply bring a hammock and twine.

Namaste
Cx
Crumbles is a classic example of an unreliable narrator.
He likes to think he is leading a new counter-culture; he is therefore prone to exaggeration, hyperbole and flagrant fibbing.
Do Not Believe A Word He Says.

Jammr
#3 Posted : 6/10/2010 10:31:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

corpus callosum wrote:
Good morning fellow intronauts.

Here in the UK there is a great radio program thats been going on for many years on BBC radio.The concept is basically as follows:

Imagine you are to be exiled alone on a desert island.You are allowed to take with you only the following items:

1.Any one book of your choice;you are also provided with a copy of the Bible (or other religious text if you are not of the Christian persuasion) and the complete works of Shakespeare (admittedly, this may not appeal to everyone, but thats the format);

2.8 pieces of music;of these, you must choose 2 which you would prefer out of the 8 you have chosen;

3.One luxury item (and this doesnt include stuff like a canoe/microlite plane to get home).

So, people, what book/2 tracks/luxury item would you take with you?

The Book of the New Sun, by Gene Wolfe. Never gets old, I'm currently enjoying re-reading it for the 5th time.

Dark Star (live), Grateful Dead, from the 08/27/72 concert in Veneta, OR.
Hunger Strike, Estradasphere.

Not sure what a "luxury item" is... uhh, can I take my laptop with me?? Wink
Infundibulum wrote:

Item: A goat (eats everything, gives milk, it is fuckable, can be converted to meat)

endlessness
#4 Posted : 6/10/2010 10:42:42 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Book: Beelzebub's tales to his grandson by Gurdjieff (or some 'how to survive in a deserted island guide' Very happy)

Discs: (probably different answer than I would have given a few months back or than I would give in a few months, but anyways.. ) Tool's lateralus, 10,000 days and aenima. Jimi Hendrix blues cd. Rodrigo y Gabriela - 11:11. Andy Mckee - Art of Motion. Pink Floyd - Pulse. Baden Powell - Os Bambas do Violão. (2 most important for now I guess would be tool - lateralus and rodrigo y gabriela - 11:11)

Item: Oh so hard.. Im in between endless amount of psychedelics, a guitar, and a solar-powered computer with satellite internet connection Very happy Or a pocketknife.. jeez, thats a hard one.... Ok I go for the psychedelics Razz

jungleheart
#5 Posted : 6/10/2010 1:09:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Crumbles wrote:
Thank you for this thread. I cannot believe I am the first to respond. Here we go, shooting from the hip:

Book: Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Discs: Led Zeppelin II, Led Zeppelin IV, Beach Boys - Pet Sounds, Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique, The Clash - London Calling, U2 - War, Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea, My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

Of those I would cling most tightly to Pet Sounds and Led Zeppelin IV ( II is better top to bottom but I cannot live without "When The Levee Breaks" )

Item: a CD player with an eternal supply of batteries (how else am I supposed to listen to my eight discs?) If the CD player is assumed, then I would simply bring a hammock and twine.

Namaste
Cx

You could probably make yourself a hammock. I don't know if you are allowed to make yourself luxury items Razz Oh, Lost, how you've opened my mind to the possibilities.

Phlux-
#6 Posted : 6/10/2010 1:10:50 PM

The Root

Chemical expertSenior Member

Book - The Britannica Encyclopedia Set.

Music - some hard trance, some chilled trance/ambient and some reggae.

Item - The internet on a laptop with sustainable power supply - A Didge, Maybe a water jetpack - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0snTqLQLpBA - medium thickness indestructable string and a nice good sized blade - if i could just take 1 item - it would be the blade.
antrocles wrote:
...purity of intent....purity of execution....purity of experience...

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:
‹Jorkest› the wall is impenetrable as far as i can tell

Quote:
‹xtechre› cheese is great

He who packs ur capsules - controls your destiny.

Infundibulum
#7 Posted : 6/10/2010 1:43:00 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

Book: a telephone catalogue

Music: nothing really

Item: A goat (eats everything, gives milk, it is fuckable, can be converted to meat) or as phlux said a good blade, preferably a gurkha blade (is good both as an axe and an all-around knife)

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

Jorkest
#8 Posted : 6/10/2010 2:30:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf ProgrammingChemical expert | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf Programming

well infundibulum i suppose you could get most of that from a woman as well....eats everything, gives milk, is fuckable...and produces workers Pleased
it's a sound

Phlux-
#9 Posted : 6/10/2010 2:36:57 PM

The Root

Chemical expertSenior Member

hardcore.

And agreed a gurkha is an excellent choice of blade and its balanced perfectly.
antrocles wrote:
...purity of intent....purity of execution....purity of experience...

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:
‹Jorkest› the wall is impenetrable as far as i can tell

Quote:
‹xtechre› cheese is great

He who packs ur capsules - controls your destiny.

ghostman
#10 Posted : 6/10/2010 3:18:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Jorkest wrote:
well infundibulum i suppose you could get most of that from a woman as well....eats everything, gives milk, is fuckable...and produces workers Pleased

Brilliant!
Peace in mind, Love in heart

SnozzleBerry
#11 Posted : 6/11/2010 3:05:35 AM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

ghostman wrote:
Jorkest wrote:

Brilliant!

Laughing

but seriously though, you have literally objectified women...I mean you can't go much beyond qualifying them as an "item" you'd bring along with you...but in the event they were to qualify for the category, I'd totally bring one of those along with The Neverending Story tome (as my book of choice)

The Music (chosen mainly for replay value):
Pink Floyd - A Treeful of Secrets <---- Preferred
Bobby Ray - B.o.B. vs Bobby Ray <---- Preferred
Eagles - Long Road Out of Eden
Blue Scholars - Bayani Redux
Various Artists - Wicked: The Musical
Various Artists - Motown Chartbusters
The Mars Volta - Frances The Mute
Tupac Shakur - All Eyez On Me
Chicago - Chicago V
Ill-Iteracy - Ego Check: Vol. 1
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

L_Star
#12 Posted : 6/13/2010 1:24:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Radio, transmiter and antenae Smile

Big up BBC radio homies lol....also LBC! Smile

Much respect to all from L_Star

Disclaimer: EVERYTHING posted by L_Star is said from the following persons: SWIM. All are hypothetical posts and are not endorsements of any activities, beliefs, and practices stated, that may be correlated with the person stated, or another person posting, or third party user, in anyway on dmt-nexus.com. All that is said is for educational purposes and as said is "hypothetical" and therefore cannot be taken for true accounts. SWIM and L_Star abide by the Law in all practices. SWIM would like reader to note that SWIM is blind, and L_Star is a typing assistant voluntering for SWIM. L_Star is bound by legal legislation for customer privacy by Data Protection Act, therefore SWIM will not be identified.

Regards L_Star

#13 Posted : 6/13/2010 1:57:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Are there mimosa and ayahausca vines on this island?

"at journey's end, we must begin again"

corpus callosum
#14 Posted : 6/13/2010 3:13:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

88-a most pertinent question.

I will drop Kirsty Young an e-mail and ask.......Laughing Laughing
I am paranoid of my brain. It thinks all the time, even when I'm asleep. My thoughts assail me. Murderous lechers they are. Thought is the assassin of thought. Like a man stabbing himself with one hand while the other hand tries to stop the blade. Like an explosion that destroys the detonator. I am paranoid of my brain. It makes me unsettled and ill at ease. Makes me chase my tail, freezes my eyes and shuts me down. Watches me. Eats my head. It destroys me.